Is it time to dissolve the Union?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by meridian, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

There is no doubt that the union has produced much over the centuries but as we enter a new government and perhaps a new era of austerity is it time to reconsider what we get out of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland being together.

The genie is out of the bottle with the various forms of self government which seem to provide a degree of autonomy without the responsibility and restraint of self funding i.e. the English pay for the privilege of public sector dependant economies.

From an English perspective, is it about time we seriously asked ourselves are they Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish beneficial to England and vice versa.

Personally, I am all for dissolution of the union with perhaps some high level agreements on defence and policing cooperation.

Thoughts anyone?

2. So when the rest of the world is shrinking and trying to get togther the UK is leading the way .... of trying to split up :D

great to be British ....... I mean English :D

3. The Gubmint spending per head in Ireland, Wales and Scotland is about £6,00. In England it is about £4,000.
    With a £600 billion debt can we afford to keep the Union going?

Standing by for incoming.

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I as a Scot will keep out of this one, if I may.

I'd like to see a series of English answers here without us "hangers on" defending our right to stay.

5. It's a point, perhaps autonomy as far as possible on domestic matters but international policy under joint rule.
    Common taxes for common initiatives (military and joint policing for example.)
    If the cousins wish to remain in the Union then it has to be beneficial both ways, both sides seeing advantages to remain, I get the impression that recently only the disadvantages have been talked up. There are advantages to the Union as well.

6. I don't think dissolution of the union is at all beneficial.

What i do think this election has shown is that frankly, England is Conservative. Now we do have a Conservative government for Britain, granted, but it is time one of two things happened:

The West Lothian question is answered once and for all. Meaning that on all affairs English, only English MPs can vote, in effect creating an English parliament.

Full devolution for England.

7. No. Emphatically.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

No. Enigmatically.

9. No, BUT the 'West Lothian Question' must be answered and coupled with the 'Caerphilly Question'.

10. Split the finances up more (but not completely) so there's less obvious subsidy for public sector jobs and welfare from English taxpayers, and then let the Welsh assembly and Scottish parliament raise taxes from their own voters to plug the gaps, but keep the union. Same monarch, same armed forces, no border controls.

11. Definately not. We have shared heritage and coulture and without them we will be even further down the world politics table.
    We are great britain, not ok britain because were better than the sum of our parts.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As noted - the genie is out of the bottle. Labour opened that can of worms, and now there's Wales and Scotland with their own assemblies, clamouring for ever more freedom and power, but without the responsibility.

Personally, as the genie won't go back in the bottle, let's cut the chord. Let's give them complete autonomy, including financial.

It will soon become evident to those that have left the Union that they have lost a good deal more than they gained. The same will also become apparent to those that opened the bottle, in the Labour Party that thought they would gain more votes by destroying the Union.

They will be history in England, history in Scotland and history in Wales. Perhaps then, just maybe, all regions will eventually prosper with Labour and its adherents consigned to the dustbin. Never again will they be able to raise enough votes in any one region to further their destructive tendencies.

13. Considering that by all accounts its only the Home Counties, Greater London and Anglia that turn a profit in the UK, the end result of binning territories based on cost would mean breaking up England let alone the Union. I admit I get as wound up as every other Englishman when ********* like Salmond turn up on the news lying about how we're evil oppressors and they'd be better off without us interfering in their affairs. However the contribution made to Britain by the Welsh,Scots and Northern Irish outweighs the drawbacks IMO.

14. But to make the Union work a lot better the West Lothian question has to be answered as a matter of course. England doesn't interfere with the Welsh, Scottish or N. Irish assemblies, so why is it allowed to happen vice versa?

It was convenient (very convenient!) for Labour to ignore it. But also undemocratic and unfair.