Is it time for a Wound clasp?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, May 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at the small Honour Guard my Company sent to Calais yesterday made me realise that of the six or so blokes who had deployed, three had been wounded in action to a degree severe enough to warrant casevac, and a fourth had been fragged. His sight was saved by the ballistic specs.

Rightly, their service has been recognised by the award of the Afghanistan medal but I do wonder if recognition should be made of the blood price they have paid?

This could take the form of an adornment to the Medal; some kind of wound stripe, or even something along the lines of the Purple Heart.

The debate about the criteria can come later, but is it time ?

2. No.

3. The gift of brevity.

Everything that is necessary, etc.

4. Thought you guys had the gold wound stripe on the cuffs to show that?

5. Well its not, actually.

6. You need to consider the criteria first.

As I see it there are two circumstances in which you become wounded:
    1. You do something brave in a hazardous environment.
    2. You're just unlucky. There's a sub-set to this, you could have been doing something silly.

Criteria 1 will usually put you in line for a medal, so no additional adornment is needed.
    Criteria 2 doesn't really deserve an adornment.

If you're after an additional embellishment, I'd suggest a ribbon without a medal for actions that don't quite meet the criteria for a medal - stuff that is recognised within the lower end of the CoC - together with a numbered clasp to reflect the number of times that you've done something that is above and beyond what is considered a normal duty, each clasp to be accompanied by a scroll produced at, say, Battalion or equivalent level (not necessarily your own). Call it the Commendation Ribbon. The relevant clasp could be ordered through JPA, substantiated by the scrolls received. And no, I'm not being facetious about this. I believe that there are a lot of people out there who would qualify and they deserve the right to be approached to recount their tales in the bar on Remembrance Day.

7. This reminds me of a debate on here a while back regarding a UK Purple Heart. One of the US contributors said a mate of his has been wounded six times and had six Purple Hearts. One Brit wag replied that that showed the difference between the Brits an the Yanks. The Yanks award six medals wheras the Brits would send the guy for retraining.

8. A wound medal rewards something that's outside your control. It's like awarding a doctor a medal because he caught a disease, or awarding a binman a medal because he fell off the back of his truck and badly injured his back.

9. In these circumstances, it would be akin to awarding a medal to a victim of somebody else fucking up a risk assessment. But if the risk assessment said it was dodgy but necessary, then those involved must surely be entitled to something, wounded or not. Hence my idea for the Commendation Ribbon.

10. http://www.1914-1918.net/woundstripe.html

So I guess all those UK & Commonwealth wounded in WWI & II should have this removed from their records. and all surviving WWII Veterans should turn them back in?

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Isn't that exactly what an MiD is?

12. Doesn't a MiD have to be attached to a medal? And I'm looking for something that can be sanctioned at a lower level.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's a cluster (Oak Leaves IIRC) displayed on the Campaign Medal ribbon, and was usually commended at Regt'l level.

14. To give an idea, a patrol goes out in a fairly quiet environment - no Ribbon or medal. A member of the patrol gets shot by a sniper - no Ribbon or Medal. Aware that there's a sniper about, another member of the patrol rescues the wounded soldier - perhaps a medal, perhaps a MiD, but certainly a Ribbon.

Or a patrol is required to go out in a known hostile environment. Pte Bloggs sticks his hand up every time, "Me, me, me!" End of tour, his effort is recognised by a Ribbon.

Or IED or UXO is found, ATO waits alloted time, places charge and retires to a safe distance - no Ribbon or medal. If circumstances dictate that the waiting time has to be waived or the safety distance is reduced or the IED/UXO has to be dismantled, a Ribbon. And a clasp for each occasion.

15. The MiD is still going strong. The oak leaf was bronze up to 1994 when it was changed to silver. The Canucks retained the bronze emblem.

Simply put, the criteria is bravery whillst participating in active operations. That is, operations were a campaign medal may or may not be awarded. If a medal is not authorised, the oakleaf is worn on a dark blue ribbon and after any other campaign medals.