Is it time for a World/International Police/Gendarmes/Armed Force?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apologies for the slightly long winded title.

I'm studying the Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) and International Humanitarian Law (IHL) in prep for a course.

One of the papers I read posited a future international police or armed force to enforce international law. I thought it is an interesting idea.

It is very difficult to enforce international law.We all know the issues with using western forces. Reluctance of nations to get involved. Accusations or neo-colonialism etc. The problem of non-western forces is a combination of shambolic performance and unacceptable tactics and strategies.

Is there a space for a Gendarme force trained and equipped to western standards capable of deploying to the worlds hotspots on peace enforcement and peace support ops?

I liked Tom Clancy's solution of solving the Palestine problem by deploying the Swiss Guard ;)

Join the Army in the UK and spend your time arresting women drivers and atheists in Saudi Arabia? No thanks.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Join the Army in the UK and spend your time arresting women drivers and atheists in Saudi Arabia? No thanks.
The international force I was thinking of would recruit from all over the world. You wouldn't have to join it if you don't fancy the job it does.

I think they might need to concentrate on getting a National one to work properly first. Police Scotland are a prime example of an immense cluster.

These sort of ideas always come down to budget. Nobody will pay for it without any obvious benefit to their country, people and values. And why would they?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yeah, budget - and the key decision, of course, who would command, who would task and to whom would such a force be responsible.

Yeah, budget - and the key decision, of course, who would command, who would task and to whom would such a force be responsible.
This. Would China be happy with a world police knocking at its doors? Would the United States allow itself to be controlled by effectively foreign military force? Or would the Arab League prefer to use that world police to enforce what they want? If its aims and goals are decided through democracy, let's not forget that the populations of liberal, Western democracies are very much a global minority and that good chunks of the planet don't share our worldviews.

Also, just think about the uniforms! It'd never get off the ground as people would be arguing forever about what colour the belts should be!

Also, just think about the uniforms! It'd never get off the ground as people would be arguing forever about what colour the belts should be!
Would they pay for their own belts? What about sleeves going up in April; fine if you're in the N hemisphere - but crap if you live down under!

World Police you say?
Haven't we seen that before?
Team-America-World-Police-443x600.jpg

First off you'd have to have a whole lot of legal eagles batting from the same law statute book. Governments would have to agree what is right in one country and wrong in another, now has to be wrong (or right) in all countries. The whole police force would have to be retrained in what laws are being broken and thus prosecuted. Down to the citizens and they would have to know that beating a woman for not cooking dinner was now against the law. People would all have to drive on the correct side of the road, go to worship or not, register births deaths and marriages and hand out sentences in a uniform manner. Then there's the question of who will command this force, pay for it and manage it. :cool:

What if the tasking authority decided that the Irish Republican cause was just and in 1969 sent peacekeepers into the province, likening the deployment of British troops onto the streets as contrary to whatever test they apply in such circumstances? Would the UK have accepted that instead of, as with Assad today, claiming it as an internal fight against terrorism in our own country?

I thought we had Kingsmen to do such things.

What if the tasking authority decided that the Irish Republican cause was just and in 1969 sent peacekeepers into the province, likening the deployment of British troops onto the streets as contrary to whatever test they apply in such circumstances?
Hmmm......time travelling world police, this is starting to sound interesting.

I wonder what they'd call this union of nations or nations in the same league?

Wouldn't that imply that policemen from some corrupt third world hellholes could have powers of kidnap and blackmail (sorry, arrest and on the spot fines) in the UK, but without being answerable to the UK Government?