• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Is it time for a Soldiers Union?

I just read the thread about the Government taking away money from Army housing schemes, when ever the Government take advantage or abuse the military by making eccessive demands or making life-changing decisions (such as reduction of allowances or pay freezes); Soldiers dont tend to have a voice. Is it time to discuss a possible union within the military (ok, its not 100% practical, but one that can not strike, but can represent the voice of normal soldiers).

Whats your opinion, is the idea of a Union completley wrong or should Solders voices be represented better than what they are. In all other sectors Unions have brought about better pay, working conidtions and driven up standards which has had a positive affect on morale.

Anyway, just a thought.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
No in short if you don't like it get out and find something you do like.
The Armed Forces don't actually have a bad run at things.
As people find when they rush of to where the grass is greener

No Unions are destroying the country with thier constant requests for increases to wages and benifits when the money is not avaliable.

Now be a good fellow and get back in the box :)

bah humbug, whats needed is a coup de'tat, re-instate an absolute Monarchy. Armed forces side with the Monarch and gets preferential treatment. Old and Bold get issued a BFO pension and an SLR or SMLE for the really old knackers, Tropper can have a Brown Bess. We form the "Reserve" with HRH The Duke of Edinburgh as Colonel in Chief and deploy when ever he gets pissed off with things :)

IWhats your opinion, is the idea of a Union completley wrong or should Solders voices be represented better than what they are. In all other sectors Unions have brought about better pay, working conidtions and driven up standards which has had a positive affect on morale.
When the concept of unions first came about, I'd agree with your statement. However, in more recent times, law has replaced the unions in ensuring decent pay and working conditions. As a result, the issues taken up by unions have become more and more petty - and so have their tactics. By constantly striking, blackmailing companies and governments into raising pay way beyond worldwide levels, and bringing about working conditions legislation that makes many tasks far more difficult than they should be; the unions have weakened British industry as a whole, and in some cases killed off entire industries. In addition, I'd go as far as to question the motivations of the large unions today. In my opinion, they appear to exist primarily to serve (politically and financially) the chieftains of said unions.

The British Army has BAFF. BAFF has much more in common with the original unions, in that it's a non-political membership organisation that exists to protect the interests of its members. It doesn't have the ability to call a strike (a good thing as far as the Armed Forces are concerned) but the Armed Forces can use the media to its advantage in much the same way. We don't need a union. What we need is to raise the profile of BAFF by getting as many people signed up as we can. Every new member and bit of publicity they get is a bit more leverage they have to look after our interests.

having left hmaf some 20 years ago prehaps i'm not the most entitled to an say,however,time for a union no,time for a goverment to accept its responabilty to hmaf and vets yes the scrotes are quick enough to try and take any smartie points the lads and lasses earn them.

I just read the thread about the Government taking away money from Army housing schemes, when ever the Government take advantage or abuse the military by making eccessive demands or making life-changing decisions (such as reduction of allowances or pay freezes); Soldiers dont tend to have a voice. Is it time to discuss a possible union within the military (ok, its not 100% practical, but one that can not strike, but can represent the voice of normal soldiers).

Whats your opinion, is the idea of a Union completley wrong or should Solders voices be represented better than what they are. In all other sectors Unions have brought about better pay, working conidtions and driven up standards which has had a positive affect on morale.

Anyway, just a thought.

Are you trying to recruit for the TUC,,it is conference week for them is it not?...

I think you are Brendan Barber and I claim my right to bash your commie face in...........

Union Leaders To Warn Of Strikes And Unrest On Opening Day Of TUC Congress | Politics | Sky News

Latest Threads