Is it safe to wear my uniform in public?

"One concern though... the unit I am joining is based in Luton, and I am aware that - and I don't want to offend anyone or generalise entire groups of people - but there are probably a, shall we say, disproportionately large number of people in Luton who would not appreciate seeing a man wearing a British Army uniform on the streets of that city."

Of course you do otherwise you wouldn't have posted this in the first place would you?

troll.jpg

Luton, huh? When I moved here 30 years ago, I was advised not to hang kit on the washing line and always to check under my car. Since then, the Irish have moved away, having been replaced by Poles. The only Irish you see nowadays live in caravans and, while they take on demolition work, don't tend to use explosives to expedite the job.

As anyone who lives here will tell you, the majority of ethnic violence tends to be between rival drug gangs so sound advice is to stand out of their way and let them get on with it - it's the quickest way to reduce their numbers.

But wearing uniform on the streets? Can't you afford proper clothes?

Of course, if you really want to be seen wearing military uniform on the streets of Luton, join the ATC, ACF or Sea Cadets. At least they turn up for Remembrance Parade.

Hey everyone. I haven't actually joined yet, but I've applied and hope to join soon. One concern though... the unit I am joining is based in Luton, and I am aware that - and I don't want to offend anyone or generalise entire groups of people - but there are probably a, shall we say, disproportionately large number of people in Luton who would not appreciate seeing a man wearing a British Army uniform on the streets of that city. Am I at risk wearing it? Am I likely to get abuse? Attacked? Abducted?

I'm proud of what I'm doing and hate the thought that I cannot wear my uniform in my own country without feeling safe. It feels wrong. Of all places, the streets of Britain are wear I should feel safest in it. But what I feel is a consequence of my own brain's internal workings, not necessarily an accurate representation of reality. So am I overthinking it, or is it best not to wear a British Army uniform in public in a place like Luton? I don't want to be a coward but I also don't want to be an idiot.

It might not seem that important but in a way I think it's very important. After all, I'm joining to keep this country safe. So I should be safe while I'm here!
Wear these and you'll blend in

Fcuking Troll

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Make what you will of that.

To the OP: Slow news day? :? I can't imagine why anyone would willingly cut about in uniform when off duty. I was in the US Army for 30 years (and proud of it too) but when the clock struck five that was Miller time and I quickly changed into mufti.
Never realised you were that old.

What was General Crook like?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I haven't actually joined yet, but I've applied and hope to join soon. One concern though... the unit I am joining is based in Luton, and I am aware that - and I don't want to offend anyone or generalise entire groups of people - but there are probably a, shall we say, disproportionately large number of people in Luton who would not appreciate seeing a man wearing a British Army uniform on the streets of that city. Am I at risk wearing it? Am I likely to get abuse? Attacked? Abducted?

I'm proud of what I'm doing and hate the thought that I cannot wear my uniform in my own country without feeling safe. It feels wrong. Of all places, the streets of Britain are wear I should feel safest in it. But what I feel is a consequence of my own brain's internal workings, not necessarily an accurate representation of reality. So am I overthinking it, or is it best not to wear a British Army uniform in public in a place like Luton? I don't want to be a coward but I also don't want to be an idiot.

It might not seem that important but in a way I think it's very important. After all, I'm joining to keep this country safe. So I should be safe while I'm here!
When you get a uniform you’ll be told about when and where you should and shouldn’t wear it

However, there’s the issued uniform and the off duty “uniform”
To anyone that would harm a squaddie, there’s little difference between MTP and jeans & a T-shirt, especially when accompanied by boots and daysack.

Despite what Tommy and Fox News may tell you, Luton is still in the UK

Take a peek into the thread on free travel on the London Underground for peoples opinions on travelling around in uniform for no good reason

Latest Threads