Is it possible to start the appointment process but defer entrance to sandhurst till end of my degree?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before
I'm currently completing my final year of university and am interested in joining the army when I leave. However due to some medical reasons I'm unsure if I'll actually be able to be accepted. I've asked at a careers office and they said I'd only be able to get the full medical examination and confirmation if I fully start the application process. I'd rather get this done soon because if it turns out I am ineligible I want to apply for a masters instead and it's better to send of postgrad applications sooner rather than later. Basically I want to know could I start the application process now and, if eligible, defer entry to sandhurst till September when I've finished my degree?
Thanks

Speaking as a postgrad: Throw in the masters applications anyway as they don't cost anything. Also, when I did my masters one of my fellow students was going through the joining process, with a masters he all but had his arms ripped off in the army's enthusiasm to get him in the door. So it may be worth your while just giving it an extra year to sort out whatever your issue is and then moving forward.

You could also use the year to build up your portfolio to show what a good all around egg and ruffty, tuffty chap you are. Do some teamy, adventurous stuff that shows you in an adventurous, getting a grip, potential leader light, ie. go do the mountain leaders qualification, join the canoe/sailing club/scuba club, go parachuting, also go orienteering....orienteering is good, you move at speed, read maps and need to make decisions on the move, all of which are useful officers skills.

Good luck.

SantaSpud

War Hero
Hi, you can certainly do this. I did my application (back when I was at uni) for this reason. It’s a long process by the time you do briefing and main board.

You can always enrol in a masters and join after that too. I had intended doing my main board during my masters but got soo busy during that time and whilst applying for backup careers in my degree field I got swept away and ended up with several civvy job offers.

In hindsight I wished I’d got my main board done with before my masters and joined!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chimera

LE
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before
I'm currently completing my final year of university and am interested in joining the army when I leave. However due to some medical reasons I'm unsure if I'll actually be able to be accepted. I've asked at a careers office and they said I'd only be able to get the full medical examination and confirmation if I fully start the application process. I'd rather get this done soon because if it turns out I am ineligible I want to apply for a masters instead and it's better to send of postgrad applications sooner rather than later. Basically I want to know could I start the application process now and, if eligible, defer entry to sandhurst till September when I've finished my degree?
Thanks
Yes

also go orienteering....orienteering is good, you move at speed, read maps, need to make decisions on the move and practice not getting lost/finding out where you REALLY are, all of which are useful officers skills.

Good luck.
really important bit!

Thanks for advice guys, was really helpful

So it may be worth your while just giving it an extra year to sort out whatever your issue is and then moving forward.
You can always enrol in a masters and join after that too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have considered this but I was also thinking about doing a PHD after the masters so doing a 1+3 research course would be a good way of getting it funded. Unfortunately this means I wouldn't be able to have a stint in the army in between the masters and the PHD, I'd kinda have to do it before. Something I'm still thinking about.

also go orienteering....orienteering is good, you move at speed, read maps and need to make decisions on the move, all of which are useful officers skills.
I did complete 35, 45 and 55 mile 10 Tors challenges and gold D of E expedition as the team navigator and have kept up hiking as a light hobby so I'm absolutely planning on milking that as much as I can in the interview.

Last edited:

I have considered this but I was also thinking about doing a PHD after the masters so doing a 1+3 research course would be a good way of getting it funded. Unfortunately this means I wouldn't be able to have a stint in the army in between the masters and the PHD, I'd kinda have to do it before. Something I'm still thinking about.

I did complete 35, 45 and 55 mile 10 Tors challenges and gold D of E expedition as the team navigator and have kept up hiking as a light hobby so I'm absolutely planning on milking that as much as I can in the interview.
A few years ago the Comdt RMAS went down to look at Ten Tors and went away slightly awestruck/frustrated*. 2,400 under 18s out on the moor willingly participating in an arduous mental and physical challenge (esp if you did wet years).

As you have done both 45 &55 courses, you will have to be proactively seeking out similar challenges in the forces, they won't be offered up. Should you have a real passion for Adventure Training, learn how to get and then game the JSAT system asap - a career and AdvTrg is possible if you are cunning

*Awestruck because he saw grit and determination in excess of service men and frustrated as many of this talent pool were not even touching the recruiting system.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Or, in the future, consider 'them', if you like tabbing up and down hils in the rain?

Did one of those. I was mid-30's at the time, as were some of my fellow researchers, we were able to communicate with grown ups, be taken seriously, put on a suit attend conferences and attend corporate board level meetings without embarassing anyone. Whilst the youngsters doing PhD's were undoubtedly bright they had problems with life skill's, work delivery issues and sometimes embarassed their supervisors. This resulted in more than one arrse kicking for some and a couple were never progressed beyond their Master of Research/MPhil. I'm not saying you could not do it, and do it well, but think long, hard and objectively about it and consider picking one up as a part timer once you have some experience out in the world. That real world experience pays huge dividends in research as you are not re-inventing the same widget someone has been quietly using out in the world for the last 5 years.

Did that too. Consider the Mountain Leader Course, you just need to be registered for it and have a couple of the stages under your belt so that you can honestly say that you are doing it.

If you do decide to stay in academia consider kicking off joining the reserves so that in the period between your masters and PhD starting you can get the basic course out of the way. There is plenty of time on a PhD to go and play with the reserves and if you seriously enjoy being out in the wilds with a rucksack then as someone else suggested consider going for the Special Forces selection as a reservist.

Whichever way you jump I seriously wish you the best.

A few years ago the Comdt RMAS went down to look at Ten Tors and went away slightly awestruck/frustrated*. 2,400 under 18s out on the moor willingly participating in an arduous mental and physical challenge (esp if you did wet years).

As you have done both 45 &55 courses, you will have to be proactively seeking out similar challenges in the forces, they won't be offered up. Should you have a real passion for Adventure Training, learn how to get and then game the JSAT system asap - a career and AdvTrg is possible if you are cunning

*Awestruck because he saw grit and determination in excess of service men and frustrated as many of this talent pool were not even touching the recruiting system.
As I have finished my dental appointment now..........and off at a slight tangent, so I apologise for drift.

Do the force's not enter any teams anymore? I came into Ten Tor's from a different tack and the two occasions I was down there we arrived a few days before the event to check the lay of the land and to get in some extra navigation (area familiarisation) training. We were the first to arrive on site both times with the next arrival's from the Junior Leaders, who camped next to us. The pre-event admin and marshalling was all run by the military; the first year it was an allsorts and the second time it was mainly para's.

With my marketing head on: From a recruitment/marketing perspective it would pay dividends if someone actually set up an RLO type event at Ten Tors. Silly as it may sound giving away MTP recruitment t-shirts, or baseball hats, and perhaps arranging a couple of post Ten Tors meet the army type events at locations around the UK that TTT participants were invited to.

As I have finished my dental appointment now..........and off at a slight tangent, so I apologise for drift.

Do the force's not enter any teams anymore? I came into Ten Tor's from a different tack and the two occasions I was down there we arrived a few days before the event to check the lay of the land and to get in some extra navigation (area familiarisation) training. We were the first to arrive on site both times with the next arrival's from the Junior Leaders, who camped next to us. The pre-event admin and marshalling was all run by the military; the first year it was an allsorts and the second time it was mainly para's.

With my marketing head on: From a recruitment/marketing perspective it would pay dividends if someone actually set up an RLO type event at Ten Tors. Silly as it may sound giving away MTP recruitment t-shirts, or baseball hats, and perhaps arranging a couple of post Ten Tors meet the army type events at locations around the UK that TTT participants were invited to.
Apologies for continuing drift!
Ten Tors is a funny one; there are no service adult teams, only *schools & cadets. There is strong local pressure to reclaim the moor from the army as well as strong local pressure to keep them there!
For a number of reasons, its not nationwide any more, rather confined to youth establishments in the South West. Since there isn't any real substantive regular army presence west of Warminster, bar pongos loitering in the more rarified RN/RMish milieu that is 3CDOX, there isn't a really huge MCI interface less reservists.
There is also a requirement for teams to attend training weekends on the moor (the days of turn up for scrutineering and go have long lapsed) - this also limits which schools/cadets can make it down within reasonable time
The budgeteers look at it as a ball-ache as it should show value for money, i.e a direct link to either recruiting or retention.
Frankly, it shows me how the aspirational organisation many of us old farts joined has fallen into a risk adverse bureaucracy, knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing, resenting its participation in inspirational events such as this and offering very little in the way of similar challenges for those potentially inclined to join as there isn't the will or interest to either organise or overcome the admin, clearance and sign off processes.
How can we offer interesting/attractive adulting stuff to school leavers when grown ups have to ask a 1* grown up if they can have a mess bar open after midnight?

*E2A also there is the Jubilee Challenge which is pretty special** Ten Tors Jubilee Challenge 2019 - Ups and Downs Southwest

**and I mean that in a heart touching and sincere way, you bunch of philistines!

Last edited:

chimera

LE

Out of interest have you visited a TEN TORS recently?

Out of interest have you visited a TEN TORS recently?
No.

I take it that it has changed somewhat then.

Edit: Obviously has according to what Mr. @smallbrownprivates has written. Sad that things go along those lines, 35 years ago I remember Dartmoor heaving with body's all eager to prove themselves and get their medal.

Last edited:

chimera

LE
There may not be "military" teams (i.e. Junior Leaders etc in old money) but the majority of the teams are ACF, CCF, ATC, Sea cadets etc. The kids get massive exposure to the uniformed military: The thing is run by the Army, all of the check point staff are uniformed military the Moor Support Group is military, there are Navy helicopters buzzing around etc etc. Okehampton Camp has recruiting teams, Cadet Training Teams, Mil/Civ engagement teams up the bloody ying yang, and the teachers, Scout Masters and "gatekeepers" etc are smooched up too all weekend.

Agree that it is only kids from the SW that can enter (but that area is pretty big - going up into Avon, Bristol, etc) but I am led to believe that is because it is so popular that team numbers have to be restricted.

I understand too that the teams to have to meet certain standards of training etc before the can enter - but the 55km event is pretty hard core even for kids (albeit that most of the participants in that event are older teens).

It is always easy to be cynical about thse things, and do the "..it ain't what is used to be.." line, and I would be the first to admit that I used to be very sceptical about TT until I saw in in the flesh, and believe me as a recruiting event it doesn't get any better:

The last time I did TT was in 2017 so fairly recently and there definitely is an effort put into recruiting. Along with seeing all the fun helicopters and guns you can see being used around there were recruitment stalls where information and pamphlets were handed out as well as guns you can handle.
And yeah recently they put in the rules that only South West teams can compete but as far as I'm aware that was purely because of the amount of teams who were training throught the year and trekking on the event the moor was actually getting damaged with paths being trampled down too much. So as sad as it is that the amount of kids who can experience it has been restricted I do understand why it was done. While I half hate the place for the years of grueling trekking I did through it, the moor is beautiful and needs to be preserved.
That said I absolutely think the event should continue to be supported as long as it doesnt damage the moor as it's a fantastic experience and, at the risk of sounding cliche, it was character building.

It is always easy to be cynical about thse things, and do the "..it ain't what is used to be.." line, and I would be the first to admit that I used to be very sceptical about TT until I saw in in the flesh, and believe me as a recruiting event it doesn't get any better:

Which is why the recent "ooh, this is pretty good" from the Military has been very welcome and given it a lifeline.

Having variously in the last 12 years sat through chuntering about Ten Tors detracting from Op Entirety and "What we should be doing" for a long time, as well as seeing the thin edge of a Helicopter free (i.e military-lite) plan get introduced by local interested parties (not necessarily for the greater military good) hearing the Fleet Air Arm rave to VSOs about the top quality training it gave them and seeing a multi agency piece swing in has been a positive step.

Any way, RMAS & PHDs wasn't it?

chimera

LE
You are right. We digress. Back to the pipe, slippers, and rattling the Times (print version of course) for me!!
[pushes lamp] i remember when one could get a proper broadsheet rattle out of the times, none of this tabloid size rustling...

There may not be "military" teams (i.e. Junior Leaders etc in old money) but the majority of the teams are ACF, CCF, ATC, Sea cadets etc. The kids get massive exposure to the uniformed military: The thing is run by the Army, all of the check point staff are uniformed military the Moor Support Group is military, there are Navy helicopters buzzing around etc etc. Okehampton Camp has recruiting teams, Cadet Training Teams, Mil/Civ engagement teams up the bloody ying yang, and the teachers, Scout Masters and "gatekeepers" etc are smooched up too all weekend.

Agree that it is only kids from the SW that can enter (but that area is pretty big - going up into Avon, Bristol, etc) but I am led to believe that is because it is so popular that team numbers have to be restricted.

I understand too that the teams to have to meet certain standards of training etc before the can enter - but the 55km event is pretty hard core even for kids (albeit that most of the participants in that event are older teens).

Changed a fair bit then, back in the day the army used to keep pretty much of a low profile even though they did much of the admin in Okehampton. The checkpoints as I remember were more or less civvy manned too with members of the local search and rescue having a big say in what went on. Search and rescue fielded a team too and more or less used to run around their route.

Standards were a bit, shall we say, lower back then too with clothing and equipment. We had all the gear provided by our employer, some which was provided by 10 Ord Sp Bn as a favour to our boss. I remember seeing civvy teams where there may be a couple or three rucksacks in the team along a mixture of holdalls and shopping bags being carried by others. Footwear ranged anywhere from walking boots, Doc's, welly's through to plimsoles. Scary really thinking back on it.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
An AOSB Main Board pass is valid for 5 years. You must commence RMAS before your 30th birthday. What many would know as In Service Degrees have now been radically altered with the advent of the Army Higher Education Programme (AHEP) in place for non grads and grads alike, leading to a degree or masters in Career Stage 1. There are also funded opportunity for PhDs later on in you career. My advice would be get Main Board passed and then make a decision. Time is important. Get some reports in your book early and build your military profile. Academia is not going away. That can come later when we’ve knacked your knees and hips! Halloumikid

Latest Threads