Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to go to Sandhurst after becoming a regular soldier?

Hello,

I am currently a phase 1 recruit going through Pirbright as a regular soldier, but have taken quite an interest in becoming an officer at some point in my career being that as soon as possible. Having spoken to my troop commander and seeing his role, it is something that interests me however the thought of applying for officer never really crossed my mind when applying, or maybe doubting I’d be qualified enough but now I’ve read that you don’t need a degree etc. to apply and I do have good GCSE’s and other qualifications from my college.

My question is how difficult, if at all possible, is it to become an officer once you have become a regular solider? Is it something that happens often or is it quite a rare and unheard of thing? I’m wishing now that I thought about this or even knew the process before applying.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
Hello,

I am currently a phase 1 recruit going through Pirbright as a regular solider, but have taken quite an interest in becoming an officer at some point in my career being that as soon as possible. Having spoken to my troop commander and seeing his role, it is something that interests me however the thought of applying for officer never really crossed my mind when applying, or maybe doubting I’d be qualified enough but now I’ve read that you don’t need a degree etc. to apply and I do have good GCSE’s and other qualifications from my college.

My question is how difficult, if at all possible, is it to become an officer once you have become a regular solider? Is it something that happens often or is it quite a rare and unheard of thing? I’m wishing now that I thought about this or even knew the process before applying.

Many thanks

Yes, it’s a thing. You’ll have to complete Pirbright and Phase 2 first, then apply. You’ll do a course a Worthy Down, then normal Officer selection, then Sandhurst with all the other Officer Cadets.

Concentrate on Ph 1 and 2, then speak to your Pl / Tp Comd when you reach Unit.

Yes, it’s a thing. You’ll have to complete Pirbright and Phase 2 first, then apply. You’ll do a course a Worthy Down, then normal Officer selection, then Sandhurst with all the other Officer Cadets.

Concentrate on Ph 1 and 2, then speak to your Pl / Tp Comd when you reach Unit.

Thank you for your response, I shall do that then and set myself that goal. Glad to know it’s possible and a route I can take. Thanks again

Dr Death

War Hero
How many UCAS Points do you have or do you have an BA/BSc/HND in a relevant subject?

So I don’t know if I have any UCAS points from college I’d have to look, but I have 2 diplomas one in business and finance and my other in administration. All GCSE’s are C and above with 1 A* and another A, if that helps.

So I don’t know if I have any UCAS points from college I’d have to look, but I have 2 diplomas one in business and finance and my other in administration. All GCSE’s are C and above with 1 A* and another A, if that helps.
UCAS points are the normal criteria, so check what you have.

Post phase 2, speak to your troopy/PC at your arrival interview about your ambition. If you need UCAS points you might be able to spend time at the education centre and get A Levels. If you are lucky you will have a keen newly posted in troopy/PC who will make getting you to RMAS a personal project...

Good luck.

I shall check this later this week, thank you. I’m sure I have some I just can’t remember how many.

I will do, thank you. Fingers crossed that’s the case and I can follow that path! Wouldn’t mind spending time at the education centre to get an A level either way.

thanks for the advice.

Seeing as you've recently posted this thread (Clockyer) and have mentioned that you were at Basic Training, it's fair to assume that you're most likely at a phase 2 establishment now?

To answer your main question, it is more than possible to pursue a career as an Army Officer even as a soldier. No it is not rare or uncommon. You can highlight your interest at Phase 2 to your CoC or when you get to unit. There is a whole thought out process for soldiers seeking commissioning because quite a few soldiers attempt the jump so don't worry, you're not alone. Pop your head into your unit's education centre once you get there (obviously), they'll have a lot of information there for you to absorb. They should inform you about the process too if your CoC aren't switched on.

Good luck

halloumikid

Old-Salt
UCAS points are the normal criteria, so check what you have.

Post phase 2, speak to your troopy/PC at your arrival interview about your ambition. If you need UCAS points you might be able to spend time at the education centre and get A Levels. If you are lucky you will have a keen newly posted in troopy/PC who will make getting you to RMAS a personal project...

Good luck.
Serving soldiers Regular and Reserve, only need 5 x GCSEs at grade C or above. They must include maths and English. Equivalents such as L2 numeracy and literacy are valid too. Those who do not meet this requirement can be assessed at the Army School of Education at Worthy Down. There is also no longer the requirement to get your OC/COs approval - but you might want to inform them! The 227 Is only required if/when you get to Main Board.

Halloumikid

Latest Threads