Is it possible to filter and drink your own p*ss in the field...

This is going to sound bone but is it possible to drink your own urine with current filtration methods such as the filtration straws after said piss has been boiled etc in the field and obviously with the current purifying tablets... would add a little tang to the range of drinks we have in the ORPs!

This is going to sound bone but is it possible to drink your own urine with current filtration methods such as the filtration straws after said piss has been boiled etc in the field and obviously with the current purifying tablets... would add a little tang to the range of drinks we have in the ORPs!

You're extracting the urine...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I seem to recall you can drink your own urine four times before the toxins therein become of concern and that urine is sterile at the moment it leaves the body, but is quickly infested with nasties.

I have never explored these theories.

The Truth about Drinking Urine for Survival – Is It Safe?
If you’re an American astronaut on the ISS, you will drink it, but not the Russian cosmonauts after it has been through their filters. There are ways to filter it on earth, but you’re unlikely to have those facilities in the field. However, feel free to drink your own urine.

WALT

War Hero
This is going to sound bone
Whatever made you think that?

However, my attempt at a straight answer-
Your urine is your body's waste products. Having processed it out, why throw it back in?
I've also been led to believe that it contains a lot of salt and other impurities that need to be diluted to be processed. As a result, drinking urine actually uses up more fluid than it supplies, so all in all, a bit pointless.

But as FourzeroCharlie says, give it a go and let us know how you got on.

Pte 'hammy' h******n unknowingly drank other people's urine at 3 AFA after several bottles of his becks were stolen and then refilled.
I have no idea if there were any long term medical issues as he was permanently on the biff for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with being a fat useless malingerer.

Why would you do this when you can use tablets with water from a stream, river, snow, rain water capture, even purified sea water the salt extracted etc

Pte 'hammy' h******n unknowingly drank other people's urine at 3 AFA after several bottles of his becks were stolen and then refilled.
I have no idea if there were any long term medical issues as he was permanently on the biff for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with being a fat useless malingerer.
I pissed in a guys bottle of strongbow once, the sad thing being he didn't even notice the difference, which rather spoilt the fun

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ask Bear Grylls. He loves that sh1t.

I pissed in a guys bottle of strongbow once, the sad thing being he didn't even notice the difference, which rather spoilt the fun
Someone kept pilfering my lucazaid at Tenby (the annual launch a few missiles into the sea in the 20 fog free minutes a week exercise)
It stopped after i left a bottle filled with 'morning after a heavy night in the NAAFI piss' in its place.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Someone kept pilfering my lucazaid at Tenby (the annual launch a few missiles into the sea in the 20 fog free minutes a week exercise)
It stopped after i left a bottle filled with 'morning after a heavy night in the NAAFI piss' in its place.
I thought your lucozade tasted funny ! :eek:

Someone tweet the Donald he's allegedly a SME

Piss is about 90% - 95% water the remainder is nasty stuff. The more dehydrated you are the less water you piss out so therefore the higher the concentration of nasty stuff - ie. the more yellow your piss the more nasty stuff is in it.

The present crop of filtration straws vary in their performance based on preventing bacteria and parasites above a certain size passing through the filter - Cryptosporidium and Giarda. To prevent chemicals like the contaminants in piss getting through the filter you need a [more expensive] filter with some activated charcol inside. Making a field expedient survival water filter with charcol is not difficult with a little work and ingenuity.

Piss, tastes like........well, piss. As a young squaddie one of THEM was at Leconfield the same time I was. One night he was telling dits of some survival training, eating birds egg and worm omlettes and drinking piss. Dares were thrown around the bar and it ended up with around 7 or 8 of us (including the THEM bloke) each drinking a pint of piss topped off with lager. Sometime after that I did a survival course and did not drink piss, omlette wasn't too bad though;).

Latest Threads