Is it possible to download and save entire threads to read offline?

The internet is a fickle mistress and even in my time a plethora of sites have disappeared into the ether (Homestead/Myspace) never to be seen again, I always thought it was a sad state of affairs when so much information and communication was suddenly lost. I'm not sure what happens to old threads, will they still be here in 10 or 20 years time? Probably not, and yet there are many gems on this site that I would like to re-read long into the future. There have been many fascinating threads covering general life advice and I've learnt a lot from better men than I, it would be a pity if those posts too were obliterated.

Is it possible to download and save a thread of multiple pages so that I can read it at my own leisure? Or do I have to methodically go through it and copy/paste every single comment onto a Word doc?

~D.C.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am on Chrome on an "Android" tablet. Top right, after the url field is a star, a down arrow and three vertical dots.

Click the down arrow to download page 1. Turn to page 2. Repeat. Repeat for every page. A few minutes.

Tedious pointy clicky is the universe telling you to learn basic coding. This can be very easily done in e.g Python.

Python 3 Examples: Download a Webpage or File from URL - Computer Science Atlas

It is polite to ask the site owners before starting automated text scraping though.

I agree btw that sites like Arrse need to be preserved.

I think it's also important historically, most of the really early internet sites have been wiped out and there's very little record of the early days of the late 90s and early 2000s. And these are arguably the most important years because they were pre 9/11 and the first time in all of human history that the planet had instant communication for 'the everyman'. Even GW2 was the first time ever that the world could argue the toss over the rights/wrongs of going to war, you simply couldn't do that before in GW1.

I still remember my first time online around 1999 I was able to chat to some guy in Canada, I couldn't believe it. It's difficult to explain that mind-blowing experience to people who've grown up with instant comms.

Shortly after I discovered some other, ahem, websites. Iirc I asked the young lady on the cam if she could help me with my R.E. homework...

I know about the wayback machine and archive but they don't always save everything.

Some of the all time classic thread could be saleable. I'd pay a quid for a pdf of Stumpy (though I do have the book); the Tony Hart thread and a few other blasts from the past.

Maybe there is some mileage in that to help defray the running costs?

It's been done. It was called Usenet and there used to be a great program called Turnpike that came free with a Demon account (back in the days when you had a static IP or dotted quad, to use the old vernacular).

Tedious pointy clicky is the universe telling you to learn basic coding. This can be very easily done in e.g Python.

Python 3 Examples: Download a Webpage or File from URL - Computer Science Atlas

It is polite to ask the site owners before starting automated text scraping though.

I agree btw that sites like Arrse need to be preserved.
If you're using something like Linux then "wget" can be used to download individual files or entire web sites. Doing entire individual threads might not be so simple due to the way the web site works (it's generated dynamically rather than being laid out as a simple file hierarchy).

The site owners might not be pleased if someone decides to try to download their entire web site however, as it would give the servers a major hammering.

There once used to be a way, I downloaded 'using mongs as weapons of war' but there have been numerous site updates since then and wouldn't know how to now, if it's at all even possible.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
The only realistic way of doing this (and I wouldn't recommend it) is to download the website in it's entirety, but as @terminal said, not a good idea.
The only other option is to save an individual page, (either as mhtml, or pdf) but with only 20 posts per page that would be quite time consuming. There isn't a function that I know of to increase posts per page either.
I doubt any forum host would want this functionality to be available, as they are ad funded, and ads are generating funds only when seen online.
Another option would be screen record? But again, bit of a ballache!

The internet is a fickle mistress and even in my time a plethora of sites have disappeared into the ether (Homestead/Myspace) never to be seen again, I always thought it was a sad state of affairs when so much information and communication was suddenly lost. I'm not sure what happens to old threads, will they still be here in 10 or 20 years time? Probably not, and yet there are many gems on this site that I would like to re-read long into the future. There have been many fascinating threads covering general life advice and I've learnt a lot from better men than I, it would be a pity if those posts too were obliterated.

Is it possible to download and save a thread of multiple pages so that I can read it at my own leisure? Or do I have to methodically go through it and copy/paste every single comment onto a Word doc?

~D.C.

Yes.