Is it okay for a civilian to use a military bergan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm unsure if this is the correct section to post this, sorry if it isn't. Anyway, I am a civilian, and I intend on taking basic training. Since I'm fat and lazy, I've started walking with bricks in a sports rucksack up a fairly big hill everyday at 4.30am to get fitter, after 3 days of adding weight from 20kg upwards, I realised that my arms were going an odd blue'ish colour, I don't know why but I assumed it's because the bag is cutting off blood circulation to my arms. I started doing abit of research on the types of bags used for this, and found the military burgan, however, I really don't feel comfortable wearing one of these as they have military pattern print on them and I don't feel I've earned the right to wear that, so I was wondering is it okay for civilians to wear this for rucking? Or should I go with a civilian bergan?

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Bergans fine, issue boots would be ok too - it's good kit designed for the outdoors. If you go out dressed head to toe in MTP then you'll like a proper nonce though!

Just start running; stop over complicating it and putting hurdles up in your way.

If you're really unfit start with a couch to 5k program. There's plenty of them on the net.

Hopefully you're not so unfit that you need to start from day 1.

Sort your diet out.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nothing wrong with using a military bergan if you want to but I suggest you get a civi one. That way when you get issued a military one you’ll have a civi one too.

Troy

LE
Do yourself a favour. If you carry a bergan put something useful in it. Like drinking water, a first aid kit, a change of socks, some bog roll, emergency taxi fare home. You get the idea.

Hi, I'm unsure if this is the correct section to post this, sorry if it isn't. Anyway, I am a civilian, and I intend on taking basic training. Since I'm fat and lazy, I've started walking with bricks in a sports rucksack up a fairly big hill everyday at 4.30am to get fitter, after 3 days of adding weight from 20kg upwards, I realised that my arms were going an odd blue'ish colour, I don't know why but I assumed it's because the bag is cutting off blood circulation to my arms. I started doing abit of research on the types of bags used for this, and found the military burgan, however, I really don't feel comfortable wearing one of these as they have military pattern print on them and I don't feel I've earned the right to wear that, so I was wondering is it okay for civilians to wear this for rucking? Or should I go with a civilian bergan?
PLCE waist belt too high if your not wearing webbing, which you should not be as a civi.

The issue plce bergen is designed to be worn with webbing so is crap for carrying weight on it's own.

better alternatives are Karimoor SF sabre 75, Bergan vulcan etc...

PLCE waist belt too high if your not wearing webbing, which you should not be as a civi.

The issue plce bergen is designed to be worn with webbing so is crap for carrying weight on it's own.

Ohh I see, yes, that makes alot of sense so I should avoid PLCE, I will look into the karimor SF sabre 75 and try and get it in a plain colour.

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply everyone I really appreciate it, and Merry Christmas!
Do yourself a favour. If you carry a bergan put something useful in it. Like drinking water, a first aid kit, a change of socks, some bog roll, emergency taxi fare home. You get the idea.
I will do this next time, probably more productive than bricks, thankyou.

The_Duke

LE
For the OP. Stop packing weight in a rucksack and walking up and down hills. You are more likely to injure yourself than achieve massive fitness gains.

Start running, swimming, cycling and basic body weight exercises. Your main requirement at the start of training will be basic CV fitness and body strength. You will get progressive training for everything else.

Wish id known that

I wantad a large bergan (90Lish) and the Karimor 'mil' range was all on special offer - i shuffled past it assuming it was intended to tie in with webbing.

But size price wise it was right in the ballpark

Stop doing that immediately!!
This site is filled with (of those that actually have served, of which we are few) permanently broken people because we trained carrying shit like that. All it will do is fxxk your knees,hips and lower back. For ever.
If you want to be in tears of excruciating agony every time you get out of bed on a damp morning, carry on.
My advice is follow the well designed by professionals training programmes, available online, to build up your fitness gradually and properly. Good luck, keep with it.

Firstly, yes fine to wear, noone really cares about people wearing military surplus. It crosses the line into weirdness when you start wearing insignia with it. If you are shopping on eBay what you want is "short back PLCE" if you are under 6 foot and long back if you are taller.

Secondly, this is a good way to pick up an injury, in basic training tabbing/running with weight is very gradually introduced under close supervision. If you are overweight anyway, then adding weight is going to knacker your knees, especially on the downhill. Up to you of course, but in your situation I'd be looking to do the route faster or more often in normal running gear, rather than with more and more weight in a bergen.

Stop doing that immediately!!
This site is filled with (of those that actually have served, of which we are few) permanently broken people because we trained carrying shit like that. All it will do is fxxk your knees,hips and lower back. For ever.
If you want to be in tears of excruciating agony every time you get out of bed on a damp morning, carry on.
My advice is follow the well designed by professionals training programmes, available online, to build up your fitness gradually and properly. Good luck, keep with it.
Proper sound advice.

green_slime

War Hero
leave weight alone, you will get to that in basic in good time. Get fit anyway you enjoy.

Good luck and thank you for looking to serve. This veteran appreciates your efforts.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you are serious about improving your fitness and applying to join, follow the advice on the Army website.

Just go jogging every second day, and swim on the other days. That's all you really need. Don't bother with weights in bergans and all that guff. Find a rope to climb for upper body.

See, they are all nagging you to put the bergen away and to stop carrying heavy weights if you are unfit.

Follow their advice, NOW.

Think about the old saying: Crawl, walk, run. What it means is: Start off slow and easy and gradually build up. Start going for brisk walks, as you feel fitter after a couple, or three weeks, start doing a bit of jogging in with the walking, you will gradually find you naturally want to start jogging more, and more as time goes on. Throw in some bodyweight exercises like press ups, leg raises, and planks, have a look online for a decent routine.

Cycling and swimming are also your best friends.

Then in a few months if you really, really, really, feel you need to go yomping around with weight in a bergen then keep the all up gross weight of the bergen with the extra weight in it under 10kg........and whatever you do, don't run carrying the bergen.

Ohh I see, yes, that makes alot of sense so I should avoid PLCE, I will look into the karimor SF sabre 75 and try and get it in a plain colour.

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply everyone I really appreciate it, and Merry Christmas!

I will do this next time, probably more productive than bricks, thankyou.

Also, learn how and where to carry the weight. It makes a difference.

Don't do the noobie thing and pack all the heavy stuff away from your centre of balance...... For civvies, light stuff at bottom, heavy stuff over shoulders..... not really relevant if your just going from Heathrow to your hotel.... but f,king important in the middle of the moors.

Edited for Daz. I got super bollocked on Catterick training area because as an old soldier, I should have told the sprog that the way he packed gear would make him cry.......3 hours earlier I had told the same sprog that packing his gear that way would cause him great distress, .Some lessons have to learned the hard way................................................................. f,ing mickey mouse outfits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads