Is it me or things not right in the story of 16 year old d day glider pilot?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The whiff of merde is strong in this one.

Glider pilots all held the rank of Sergeant or above. I've seen the grave of an 18 year old glider pilot at the Arnhem Oosterbeek CWGC cemetery (he was a Sergeant), but outside of a WWI cemetery I haven't come across an 18 year old who held that rank.

I think that the youngest ranking Sergeant equivalent on D-Day may have been a 17 year old Seaborne Observer who's name currently escapes me, as all were given the RN rank of Petty Officer.

Therefore a 16 year old Glider Pilot Sergeant seems highly unlikely.

The story is all over the place.

Glider pilot with Parachute regiment cap badge too?

I think the Glider pilot regiment is quite well researched, so it should be easy enough to confirm or deny the story.

I thought it was well documented that Pte Bobby Johns was youngest Para Reg guy in Normandy at 16 years of age. He was KIA in July 44.
A secret medal? Walt's are all ages.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Probably best to step warily around this one in case one inadvertently does a @Queensman but: 16, secret medal, no appearance at previous commemorations (that I can see) does smell a bit off. He's also got US jump wings but those could be a gift of course.

Well, my natural caution has me agreeing with @Sixty.
However, for the sake of completeness the 'first' glider pilots on the coup de main party are commonly accepted to be:

Pegasus Bridge
Glider No 1:
Staff Sergeant Wallwork and Staff Sergeant Ainsworth
Glider No 2: Staff Sergeant Boland and Staff Sergeant Hobbs
Glider No 3: Staff Sergeant Barkway and Staff Sergeant Boyle

Horsa Bridge
Glider No 4:
Staff Sergeant Lawrence and Staff Sergeant Shorter
Glider No 5: Staff Sergeant Pearson and Staff Sergeant Guthrie
Glider No 6: Staff Sergeant Howard and Staff Sergeant Baacke

I find it odd that our hero pops up only when the vast majority of GPR reunions happen on the far bank of the Styx. And the only 'secret' medals I have ever come across were awarded for deniable ops. Which D-Day is demonstrably not.

Personally, my finger is firmly on the safety catch of a 'brown star cluster'.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The 'secret' medal thing is used by Walts but is rubbish. Gallantry awards are always gazetted. However it takes in gullible civvies.

The story is all over the place.

Glider pilot with Parachute regiment cap badge too?

I think the Glider pilot regiment is quite well researched, so it should be easy enough to confirm or deny the story.
A few untold stories still out there. Like the one about the mini bus full of nurses sent to Pegasus bridge...
nurses.jpg
Prior to the mission...
1560077287093.png
After 'landing'
All very hush hush..;)

Story in the regional paper.

16 year old glider pilot.

Secret medal

91 years old

or have I got it wrong?

D-Day hero who went into battle at 16 - and the memories still with him today
OP, the only way to find out the truth, is to get yourself off up to Rhyl, and offer the old walt out.

Personally, I recon he's going to hand you your arse on a plate, as he screams "Airborne!" in your ear, whilst you are curled up in the foetal position, spitting blood and teeth.

He may then, depending on his predilection, smash your missus up the hoop.

Post pics of both please.

The 'secret' medal thing is used by Walts but is rubbish. Gallantry awards are always gazetted. However it takes in gullible civvies.
John_G has several secret medals.

Latest Threads