Is it just me, but......

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dpcw, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reading through enlistment type questions I am struck by the "how many of these", "I am too fat", "how fast do I need too" questions. I joined in the mid 80's and just turned up at Sutton Colafield, took the tests and passed them.

I did a run, some gym work and some eductational tests and got a bollocking from the slop jockey. So with no pre-work I got an SSG2.

My question is - Is it more difficult nowdays or is it more measured?

2. If the internet had been as widespread as it is now, and if there had been sites like this back then, I'm sure you would have asked the same type of questions. I know I probably would have.

Is it more or less difficult now?

God knows! I'd guess at easier, but I don't know if that's due to 'back in my day syndrome' or not.

Regards
    T_T

3. So how much training did you do prior to joining? Not being beligerant with this but hearing about " going down the gym" etc puzzles me any person with their head screwed on the right way realises that "gym" fitness with the focus on being "slim" and "well defined" has very little to do with real fitness. Before anyone starts on BMI just have a look at the six nations teams.

4. Personally, I didn't do too much training beforehand. I was given a rather basic training plan at the ACIO, and I followed it to the letter.

I didn't go to a gym, but who did back then? Gyms are much more popular now than they used to be.

5. Perhaps average fitness standards in scoiety are lower now than they were then, less people doing physical jobs like labouring (all Poles!), less sport/PE at school, more kids playing Xbox instead of running around outside, which all adds up to make people more concerned about their ability to pass...

6. I expected the Army to train me and I think the Army expected me to need training :)

I did zero fitness training before I rocked up. Still managed to get through it all though and then did 24 years.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with a bit of preparation but it didn't even cross my mind when I joined and it seems that I wasn't expected to do any.

Of course I may have forgotten a few things due to all the port fumes.

7. Way back when......................I joined and the thought of doing any sort of training before I turned up at Lichfield never crossed my mind. No-one in myb squad seemes to have done any PT/Running/gym before joining and yet everybody passed through training , not withut a few aches and pains of course, fairlyb easily.
    Of course before I joined I was a coal face worker in the pit and didn't have an ounce of spare fat onn my body (Not like it is now)

8. I have nothing to compare to, but I would imagine the way the HSE has gone crazy with everything else, they have probably done the same with the forces.

9. just passed ADSC im 17 did hardly any gym work except MMA until i went now im doing the occasional run in my fitness plan i was given from the looks of it, it isnt as tough as it was back in WW2 when you lot were in but the standards have not dropped and it is still as hard if not harder than before.

10. Everything is relative. It is harder these days only because, on average, recruits are less fit. Standards have not got any harder.

I have lost count of the number of soldiers I have met who routinely failed their fitness tests despite only recently completing basic. God only knows how unfit they were when they passed the initial intake tests and started basic.

I think it has less to do with playstations and more the fact that no-one walks anywhere anymore. Parents are too scared of kiddy fiddlers, youts with knives and so on to let their kids walk/cycle to school. Add that to a lack of competetive sport in schools and you have a nation of unfit (although not necessarily fat) kids.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They said pretty much the same about us in 1981 (apart from playstations, we had no computors and video games were owned by rich kids whose parents wouldnt have let them join anywa!) and like those before me I didnt go to a gym, in fact we couldnt have afforded one even if there was one locally. The Army had me as a 16 year old boy and only Bn ruined my phys (al that beer drinking). I left training 1 stone heavier, 2 inches off my waist but 4 inches on my chest and 1 shoe size larger although that was in the first 6 weeks.

12. Callum 13 How do you know? was your dad a Gunner!!

Ubique

13. i dont know much about then,but id imagine the physical(medical requirements especially)were a lot less strict,at the time they neede alot of peopl,they would take anyone with two legs,im just about to hand in my application pack and all the bloody thing that would preevent you between eyesight and health,you start to wonder if you have anything wrong with you!hell you could be nervous and your blood pressure goes up when their taking it,BAMMM YOUVE FAILED

14. I think it's a case of recruits being less fit combined with stricter health and safety type stuff. I can only talk for myself but I was RIDICULOUSLY unfit before I started training for the army, I am hoping to join Jan 09 and if I am successful it will have taken me 3 years to get up to the Sandhurst minimum fitness standards... I was REALLY unfit.

The scary thing was that when I started training and getting interested in fitness etc, I realized just how unfit the majority of my friends were. I was fat so it was assumed that I was unfit, but even guys who looked pretty healthy were astoundingly unfit.. sometimes just as bad as myself.

I think the problem really is that the play-station generation is now 18+ and instead of playing football or whatever people are content with computer games and TV. I know this was certainly true in my case.

It's a pretty bad thing but it seems to be getting better as I observe my younger brothers generation.. he and his friends are all very fit, and he proved it by sailing through my simulated BFT with 9:30, 75 press and 65 sits with no previous training lol... bastard.

I don't really think that its a bad thing for the army however. For example if I wasn't really really committed to joining, I wouldn't have spent 3 years transforming my body and mind to be able to cope with physical activity, so maybe it comes down to an accidental screening process, where only the committed can get up to scratch, instead of every Joe Bloggs being able to pass the fitness requirements. I really have no clue! Just theorizing.

Unless you are witnessing people turning up to selection and coughing their lungs up after half a mile of the run? I had assumed that 99% of people attempting selection have taken them time to get fit. Am I naiive?

J.

15. There are also different types of fitness.

People might assume that because they can say play squash for 45 minutes they can run 6 miles. It isn't so.
    They're base level to work from is probably pretty good so it will take them less time, but those first few runs will be a shock.