Is it cos I is grey?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Adam(KOS), Feb 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New level of corresctness :roll:

Anti-shooting organisation Animal Aid has launched a scathing attack on bodies responsible for culling invasive non-native grey squirrels.

In the report, entitled With Extreme Prejudice: The Culling of British Wildlife, the organisation deplores the culling of 22 different non-native species in Britain. It states: Grey squirrels are scapegoated for the mistakes of people and there is no evidence to suggest that they drive red squirrels from their homes.

The author of the report, Kate Fowler Reeves, summarises her findings by concluding: "As times change, perhaps the grey will come back into fashion but, in the meantime, doesn’t discriminating against an animal on the grounds of his colour leave a bad taste in the mouth?" Carri Nicholson of Save Our Squirrels was shocked by the report’s claims. She commented: “These are animals — not people! Anthropomorphism does not add anything to the debate on the value or necessity of killing an invasive non-native species that causes immense damage to the countryside in both economic and biodiversity terms."

BTW the grey is avasive in my opinion.
  2. It's not just their color that make them different.

I can assure you that the North American gray squirrrel is much meatier than the red, thereby providing much more nourishment. :D
  3. Mix on cup of plain flour, one cup maize flour or fine polenta, half a cup of finely chopped peanuts, coarse ground black pepper and salt. Dip the quartered sqirrel in beaten egg and coat thoroughly with the mixture.

Deep fry at ~150 degrees Centigrade until crisp and golden brown. Serve with buttered corn on the cob, grits (spam polenta) or mashed potatoes and gravy. Delicious!!!

It's about the only useful thing I ever learn't from a septic!
  4. I think I'll try this out as well:

Title: Allegheny Squirrel Pie

1 x Squirrel cut 2 or 3 pieces
    3 tbl Flour
    1/2 tbl Minced parsley
    1 tsp Salt
    1/8 tsp Freshly-ground black pepper
    1/2 cup Sliced mushrooms
    2 cup Stock or milk
    Prepared biscuit mix (Pastry mix short crust)

Cover meat with water and cook for 1 hour. Remove and bone. Add flour, parsley, salt, pepper, and mushrooms to stock. Cook to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes. Add meat and pour into 2-quart baking dish. Top with biscuit mix topping. Bake at 350 degrees until golden, 30 to 40 minutes.
  5. Its not grey, its 'Ash Blonde'.
  6. Well Cari had more patience than me then.

She should have said " WHAT? You dozy fcuking fruit bat, you think we are rascist squirrel hunters or something? You need locking away you stupid tit!

Or words to that effect.
  7. With raising taxes and the spiralling costs of fuel, the recent rise in energy bills. It wont be long before this fluffy little animals will be used as a supplement to the average family diet.

So fcuk off you daft bint, and pass me some more of that squirrel kebab.
  8. With raising taxes and the spiralling costs of fuel, the recent rise in energy bills. It wont be long before this fluffy little animals will be used as a supplement to the average family diet.

So fcuk off you daft bint, and pass me some more of that squirrel kebab.
  9. Heh, this is becoming a gourmet thread Ooops. ( I rcon Carie has wet a few appetites ) :D

I nicked this ( Nice pics of luffly fluffys to ) :D

Squirrel Stew
    1 squirrel, quartered
    1 cup diced onion
    2 large tomatoes (from your garden) or 1 can of tomatoes
    Assorted fresh ,or canned veggies
    Sprinkle seasoned salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) liberally on the meat. Pour some cooking oil into a large pot (dutch oven). Sauté the meat with the onions until well browned. Drain the excess oil, add about 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cut up the tomatoes and add. If you use canned tomatoes add them now. Turn down the heat, and let slow cook for at least an hour. Important: older squirrels may require cooking longer than an hour. Check periodically for tenderness. If you don't you will have a hard time chewing the meat. After the meat is tender, add the veggies, carrots, potatoes, banana pepper, what ever you like. Cook until the veggies are done. An option you can use is, cook up your favorite pasta and serve over the pasta. (eliminate the potatoes). That's it, nice and simple ~ Good eating: John

This recipe was by Nova
    Squirrel Pie
    Clean, skin and cut two squirrels into small pieces. Soak in salted water, or water with a little vinegar added, changing water several times. Drain, dry and roll in seasoned flour. Sauté in pork or bacon fat until slightly browned, then place in greased pie dish or bowl, add two cups liquid (made up of wine, cider, beer, crushed fruit , or a little vinegar, and water or stock), salt and pepper, one thinly sliced onion, herbs of your choice. Cover and cook on top stove for 1 ½, or in moderate oven for two hours. Remove and thicken the stock with a little flour. Take out part of the gravy and add tomatoes, sauce or catsup, to serve with the pie. Meanwhile, cover meat dish with pastry or biscuit dough, slit for steam to escape, and bake for 20 minutes in hot oven.

This recipe was by Keeley Perry
    BBQ Squirrel
    1st. Take as many squirrels as you would like add salt and pepper. 2nd. Put squirrels on grill, bbq whatever let cook for a while, then add some liquid smoke or soy sauce on top and around squirrels. 3rd. When the squirrels are almost done cooking smear BBQ sauce all over the squirrels and let cook until done...( you can use any BBQ sauce you would like or you can try my very own recipe) located at below

1 cup brown sugar
    2 1/2 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup mustard
    3/4 cup liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce
    ( you can add as much or as little sugar as you want)

This recipe was sent in by Kathy Bowen
    Honey and Cider Squirrel

2 young squirrel, dressed & halved
    1/2 cup honey
    2 cups apple cider
    2 bay leaves, crushed
    1 TBL cornstarch
    2 TBL water

Pat squirrel halves dry. Place on rack in broiler pan. Coat with half the honey. Broil 6 inches from heat source for 8 minutes. Turn. Coat with remianing honey. Broil for 8 minutes longer. Place in roasting pan. Pour cider over squirrel. Add bay leaves. Roast @ 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Remove to serving platter; keep warm. Strain pan drippings into saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pan drippings. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Serve with squirrel. May serve with crisp shoestring potatoes and green salad. Yeild: 4 Servings.
  10. I'll try that!

I do like a bit of squirrel.
  11. You should see the black ones running around Stanford University and Palo Alto. Story is that local hippy types freed the little buggers from some testing type thing and now they just run around murking the local red ones. It's like full on gang warfare!

T C
  12. wheres my air rifle?....
  13. Naah! Not if you cook the little buggers properly.
  14. Squirrel Pie

Cook using the same recipe as Cow Pie but just use a smaller dish.

15. I've just potted a grey squirrel and a magpie this morning and they are currently lying on top of the bin. Should I instead produce a "stargazy pie" with the squirry heid peaking across the pastry at the magggie's? :)

I have tried squirrel and frankly it tastes like sh1t. I panfried it in much the way Big C describes. John Terode would have been quite right to ask if that wasn't a bit adventurous for that round of Masterchef, because it was diabolical. As sadly was my badger haunch...mind you it had been tenderized by a 'kin big John Deere!