Is it a "duty" to turn up to an SFA march in appointment?

tinysmall

Swinger
Hi, I have a bit of a poser I was hoping somebody may be able to help me with.

I have been posted to a barracks quite a distance from where I am currently located and as such I am trying to find out if it is actually a duty to attend the Married Quarter march in appointment that I have booked? The reason I would like to know is that if it is classed as a duty I should, hopefully, be able to use a service vehicle to attend the appointment and return it the next day when I return to clean my current quarter for march out.

If it is a duty to attend does anyone know where I would find the literature that states this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That's a grey area. When I last looked into it (3 months ago) you are only entitled to move your family from a to b. You have the ability to nominate a proxy which negates your requirement to return. I would suggest writing to Soldier magazine for genuine direction. In the meantime, keep all receipts

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would say it depends on your rank and how much you trust the system. The UWO/your OC of your new unit may well be willing, if asked, to act as a proxy and take the SFA over. However, given my personal experience with things that needed fixing in supposedly ready SFA, I would always do it myself (and not claim for the journey). Speak to your RAO/RAOWO about whether or not this would be considered a duty trip.

I would say it depends on your rank and how much you trust the system. The UWO/your OC of your new unit may well be willing, if asked, to act as a proxy and take the SFA over. However, given my personal experience with things that needed fixing in supposedly ready SFA, I would always do it myself (and not claim for the journey). Speak to your RAO/RAOWO about whether or not this would be considered a duty trip.
Sound advice, but the RAO is only going to play within the bounds of the JSP, which doesn't in this case confirm anything. If the RAO says yes go for it, if not, bang a letter in to Soldier Magazine and possibly get a definitive. I had a similar grey area with an overnight delivery, packers left at 1900hrs, we still had to turn the house round and travel several hours to the destination. Ideally, the the missus should have gone on ahead to the new location and I stayed in the house to clean etc. And then used duty transport to get to my new location.

Latest Threads