Is it a bad idea to...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by David2008, Dec 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Carry on training when i got a big dose of the flu virus? i can barely type this message im that drained of energy, but i havnt been able to run or do pressups the last 5 days, i had a good routine going on now this is fukin it up, should i just let my body recover or should i push myself even if i got no energy or not?

2. Recover! Ive had the same over the last week or so and tried to train last week, managed 45 mins before I puked and nearly collapsed. You can train but the end result would be better if you waited a while until the virus is out of your system.

3. Are you seriously having to wait 9 months to start basic?

4. Well i re-enlisted back in aprilish so yes, i dont have to wait much longer now though 8)

And i think i will just rest up, what i was thinking was maybe by going out for a run it would speed up my immune system thus making me better quicker (i rely hope im not ill over new years eve :x ), but maybe ill just feel worse after it rather than better.

5. Rest. People have died from overdoing the PT when ill with flu.

6. Ok thanks for the headsup guys

7. Is this true??! :?

8. Funnily enough (unless your that person) yes.

9. fook me I better take it easy then!

I'm loaded with cold but still doing my run etc as selection is on the 15th Jan, no wonder my body feels like I've gone 10 rounds with mike tyson!!

10. Done some googling, just thought id post this for other people in the same situation saying as we are in that time of year now :(

Taken from a CNN report:

Even though it may be tempting to not break an exercise routine, working out may actually prolong the illness," Kellerman said. And, in rare cases "viruses can damage heart muscles," he added.

Kellerman said it is a myth that you can sweat out germs and toxins. He acknowledges that "low levels of exercise increase endorphins and benefit the body, but an intense workout that creates high levels of endorphins can wear down the immune system."

In other words, "Don't count on endorphins to heal you," he said.

Kellerman advises his patients to skip their workout if they have a fever. It puts too much stress on the heart, which already is beating faster because of the higher body temperature. If you're suffering from chest congestion, coughing and shortness of breath, he said, you also shouldn't work out.

"When you're feeling better, don't start back at 100 percent," he said. "Start at a lower level. Give yourself time to recuperate [or] you might relapse or prolong the illness."

11. You won't benefit, nor loose too much through not excercising.

I had something similar, haven't excercised in ages but am pretty sure i'll be just as fit, however, I will be hanging out of my hoop more, but that's just something to remind myself what a jack bastward I am.

12. Doing phys with a bad case of man flu won't help you at all. Just wait till you are over the worst of it then start cracking on, take it easy for the first couple of sessions though. Get back into it before thrashing yourself for having a week off.

13. i know they always say, you gatta push your self right, but still if you do, it might get worse, i know its been almost 5 days, why dont you take a couple more out and see how you feel so you dont get a relapse, you know what i mean, and take alot of vitamine c, like oranges, does wonders...trust me... :wink:

14. ERM Rest mate otherwise in extreme circumstance you could kill yourself due to heart failure which has happened before..

15. If you actually have flu then there's no way that you are training.

On a more helpful note, the GB Rowing team doc suggests testing your HR every morning. If you feel ill and its less than 10 beats above normal resting rate then reduce training load to 75%. If its more than 10bpm over normal resting rate and you feel ill then stop training and try and recover.

Training whilst ill is not a good idea under any circumstances. Plenty of cranberry juice, hot water bottles and bed rest.