Is ISLAMOPHOBIA accelerating global warming?

Professor Ghassan Hage, of the University of Melbourne, apparently presented a lecture today at MIT*, which explored the links between Islamophobia and Global Warming.

*MIT aka the Massachusetts Institute of Technology one the Worlds premier educational establishments and has influence on the 'policy leadership' of the Western World.

'Is ISLAMOPHOBIA accelerating global warming?

This talk examines the relation between Islamophobia as the dominant form of racism today and the ecological crisis. It looks at the three common ways in which the two phenomena are seen to be linked: as an entanglement of two crises, metaphorically related with one being a source of imagery for the other and both originating in colonial forms of capitalist accumulation. The talk proposes a fourth way of linking the two: an argument that they are both emanating from a similar mode of being, or enmeshment, in the world, what is referred to as ‘generalised domestication.’'

MIT Lecture: Is Islamophobia Accelerating Global Warming?

So obviously the ongoing 'ecological catastrophe' is being driven by non muslim bigots who in the interests of saving the planet and humankind in general must be silenced by any means necessary (one assumes).

Discuss.....

@bumhole is the University of Melbourn known for this form of valuable 'research'

Any sensational headline that ends in a question mark can be answered with the word 'no'.

This would make the Daily M*il a very short paper.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I blame all the chickpeas and lentils in their diet!

I'm surprised that Corbyn et al aren't demanding that the government nationalise the piracy industry to save it. After all didn't they spend billions to bail out the banks?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Having just brieflly skimmed an earlier paper of his

État de siège: A dying domesticating colonialism? - HAGE - 2016 - American Ethnologist - Wiley Online Library

I can see the argument he's making, more or less, would need a while to sit down to really get into the bones of it though, but I dont think it's exactly what the frothing ultra conservative websites are getting in a rage about.

First look suggests that he is linking the phenomena of Climate Changing and Islamaphobia through Westen cultural attitudes towards foreigners (The Scary Other) and the accumulation of resources (Land, Wealth, etc etc). Essentially both phenomena are a result of attitudes and behaviour.

Lots of Anthropological flim flammery and verbiage to decipher.

Should point out that Ghassan is a Maronite in case anyone is interested

I know the RN has been producing some oddly named ships of late, but ISLAMOPHOBIA is surely a bit close to the bone?

Or are you just randomly capitalising things?

Professor Ghassan Hage, of the University of Melbourne, apparently presented a lecture today at MIT*, which explored the links between Islamophobia and Global Warming.
If he was a climatologist he'd know that Global Warming (along with Global Cooling) is so 20th Century. It's been Climate Change for some time now since there seems to be some doubt that global temperatures are actually increasing.

Having just brieflly skimmed an earlier paper of his

État de siège: A dying domesticating colonialism? - HAGE - 2016 - American Ethnologist - Wiley Online Library

I can see the argument he's making, more or less, would need a while to sit down to really get into the bones of it though, but I dont think it's exactly what the frothing ultra conservative websites are getting in a rage about.

First look suggests that he is linking the phenomena of Climate Changing and Islamaphobia through Westen cultural attitudes towards foreigners (The Scary Other) and the accumulation of resources (Land, Wealth, etc etc). Essentially both phenomena are a result of attitudes and behaviour.

Lots of Anthropological flim flammery and verbiage to decipher.

Should point out that Ghassan is a Maronite in case anyone is interested
Thanks, my fund of knowledge was not complete by not knowing that.