Is honesty the best policy

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by paulored, Apr 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everybody,

I have my ACA interview coming up in the near future as I learnt through this forum that applications can take quite a while and it is worth starting the process as soon as possible. Due to contractual reasons I am looking to attend Sandhurst in January or September 2011.

I would prefer to be honest about this but I am wondering whether this may hinder or slow my application if I do not seem hugely keen to get on the first intake possible. So should I inform my interviewer of this or keep it underwraps and say I want to look at earlier intakes until I hopefully pass through the whole process.

Also is this honesty best avoided at AOSB briefing and Mainboard.

Thanks for any help!
  2. Don't lie.
  3. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

What he said ^^.

I could have lied about my plan for the planning exercise, I even thought about it. I didn't, I told the truth - that I'd completely monged it and missed a few points.
    It was much better that I did that and was honest. If I'd lied they would have found out about it..
  4. Lying - a good quality that every officer should have. Mong
  5. Are you really Prince Albert?
  6. When I went for my ACA interview it was clear that I wouldn't be going to Sandhurst for a good 3 or 4 years. It didn't cause me any trouble at all. Just gives you plenty of time to go on fam visits and get ready for AOSB.
  7. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Your Born Honest when you die ??? All you have is your integrity try keep it intact.
  8. If you're going to be an officer you'll be required to lie to your troops several times a day...may as well start practicing now.

Have you arranged to get your spine removed as well? :)
  9. As above, lying is never a good policy, some ACA's see themselves as the first line of defence to stop idiots joining the army, and lying at that stage would not be a good idea. In my opinion, just go through everything, fam visits, briefing, board etc... When you pass the board, then you have the choice as to when you go to RMAS. You're in contact with the OCAC (OCdt Admin Centre). They sort out your application. That is probably the best time to say you want to hold off for a bit. But wait until you get to that stage, you may find you have a medical setback anyway or whatever. Theres no need to make the decision until you pass AOSB.
  10. lie either.

Are eyou really called Gawanga?
  11. What he said they are used to people applying and not being able to commit for a number of years. A prime example is those that apply before uni and then joing 3 - 4 years later.

Use that time to get fit, attend Fam visits ask the questions and do your research.

As a stop gap you could think of the TA either as a soldier or an officer.
  12. I am indeed. Its Irish.
  13. Of course it is :roll:

14. You knew the answer to the lying conundrum before posting:

Don't do it.

If it does 'delay' your application it will not delay your eventual intake to Sandhurst so it's not really a big issue anyway (although obviously you would rather get the ball rolling sooner rather than later).

Good luck.
  15. Be honest.

I told my ACA straight out that I was hoping for Jan '11 intake and he seemed a little relieved he wouldn't have to be rushing me through Fam visits etc.

Briefing in a couple of weeks, then hopefully a fam visit or two before main board.