Is Heidelberg the new Ibiza for HM Forces

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Emmaroids, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is Heidelberg still being used as a club 18 to 40 location and is the old tart with the Merc still parked up by the PX? :D

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Tell us more. You seem to know a lot about the place.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

How long ago where you there?

4. Sorry to burst your bubble...

With the demise of the ACE MF(L), Heidelberg for lots of brits died as well. This was circa 2002/03. As far as I am aware, there is still a committment for a Lt Col/Col (and clerical spt) in a liaison post to HQ 5 Corps.

I went to the PX there recently (we go every year, our youngest was born in the US Hospital), but unfortunately did not see said Madam reading in the Merc, just past the bridge. She may have been moved on...or it was her day off.

Town is still full of international students and aisan happy snappers. The CD bar is gone, as is the tree bar. Sean Ogs is still there but has been renamed, and the other irish bar down by the Alte Brucke is closed.

Worst of all, the subterranean food hall that was on PHV is also closed. I used to love brunch in there on a Sunday

5. I had the pleasure of being a sampler of the ambience from its starting up July 1993 to sadly leaving in 1996. The IOR bar was great with a local "Geordie" lass (Ex Pat) who used to come in and nick the free food. The Chillie and Fries were yum yum served by the head waiter "Ziggy" most of the other waiters there were lookalike Osama Bin Laden's.
    The CSM there "Trapper T" was a complete cnut and with his special (Bang your tabs in here brass sign). He had the charm of an estate agent and the breath of a sexually abused sedated donkey...

The RMP WO1 there had a whistle stop tour ha, ha...