is gw worth doing

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Cav_Tank, Sep 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is guided weapons worth doing im intrested in it an was wondering is it worth doing, im at knightsbridge an should be getting posted soon to the sqns in windsor just after sum advice on what the jobs like an what it entails

cheers for any replies

2. Well after doing striker, no. I was 'sent' to GW from my recce squadron, and whilst i enjoyed being able to kip in the back, the idea of worrying if the rocket was going to stick in its launcher, as it did up at otterburn, or the fact i was relying on a piece of wire to hit the target, i decidely went off GW, and left the army (well actually time-up) but it wasnt my cup of tea at all.

Mind you it beat a ferret with two rockets stuck on the side of the turret, by heck i am old!!

3. Particularly if you failed to 'lock' the turret. Still I suppose when the turret fell off after 12 turns there were enough lads in a troop to lift it back on again. :roll:

4. I am assuming (probably wrongly) a lot of Strikers work involved sitting and waiting for MBT that it can ambush, or do you actively “hunt” for MBT’s?

5. I am not suprised by your question because GW can be regarded as a bit of a black art, out of the main stream. However, if you turn out to be good at it, you will always be in demand. I´ve known people do well on promotion because there was a shortage of GW experience in the squadrons. Go for it.

6. Only if you have a death-wish.

7. Never saw the ferret rockets loaded, we got rid of them went we went scimitar, lost my beloved saracen at the same time, saw it couple of years later on one of hohnes battle runs :(

8. As it happens I am a GW Inst and was a GW Trp Ldr before going to recruiting. GW troop tend to become a bit of a jack of all trades. Half the time they do not seem to know how to best deploy you. We worked as a troop, a section and then individual vehicles in support of the gun troops.

It can be a good move and opens more doors for you as you progress. The course can be a bit of a strain but not that hard to pass. As for lots of space in the back for sleeping, I made my troop deploy with simulated loads on board so they did not get to comfy.

9. We also removed the NBC packs pre-norway to fill with duty frees whilst on AMF (do they still do AMF)

10. thank you for the posts gents sounds like my kind of job

11. Striker is now more or less finished Cav_Tank. You need to get yourself on a Javelin course at LWC.

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Our GW Troop were told at the time that they were to be the last ever RAC troops to fire GW as they (the Swingfires) were to go back under control of RA. July 1977, on completion of Ex Trident on OTA, GW Troop stayed on OTA with their Mk5s and fired. As Sqn Ldr's driver I was invited to hang around and act as fetch and carry.

Monday: Watch as GW Troop convert live (Prac) missiles into smoking holes 4km downrange. Laugh when Sqn Medic (sat in the 4 tonner beside me at the back of the firing point) asks, "So do these Swingfire things have tracer so that you can see them in flight?"

Tuesday: Put out peat fires burning downrange since yesterday's firing. Dodge unexploded mortar rounds lying in the path of the fires.

Wednesday, about 1130 hrs: "Tpr Alien, go back to camp and collect the lunch." Drive back to camp. Collect stew. Return to range, park at top of hill beside the 4 tonner, exactly where I had left from 1/2 an hour earlier. Observe white faces on 4 tonner driver and Sqn medic. Inquire as to reasons.

"We had a runaway missile. Scotland Syndrome." (The gyroscopically-controlled Swingfire was sensitive to rough handling. If the gyros became unbalanced as nearly happened to Apollo 13, the missile would come out of the tube and turn right, run out of cable after 4km and continue northward toward Scotland. It was said that a farmer had a wonderful collection of expired Swingfire Prac rounds which unerringly landed within a few metres of one-another in one of his fields.)

"So? So another Swingfire came out of the tube and flew off in the opposite direction? We softskins are on top of a hill behind and to the LEFT of the firing point. Why should Scotland Syndrome worry you?"

"Because this one came out of the tube and hung a LEFT, flew up the hill, below the driver's door of the 4 tonner, missing it by a couple of feet ... just about the distance you are away from the four tonner and would have been if you hadn't gone to get the stew."

"Oh."