Is global warming over?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. “Global Warming is over, and Global Warming Theory has failed. There is no evidence that CO2 drives world temperatures or any consequent climate change,” Imperial College London astrophysicist and long-range forecaster Piers Corbyn wrote British Members of Parliament on October 28. “According to official data in every year since 1998, world temperatures have been colder than that year, yet CO2 has been rising rapidly.” That evening, as the House of Commons debated legislation on so-called “global-warming,” October snow fell in London for the first time since 1922.

These observations parallel those of five German researchers led by Professor Noel Keenlyside of the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences. “Our results suggest that global surface temperature may not increase over the next decade,” they concluded in last May’s Nature, “as natural climate variations in the North Atlantic and tropical Pacific temporarily offset the projected anthropogenic [man-made] warming.” This “lull” should doom the 0.54 degree Fahrenheit average global temperature rise predicted by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the Vatican of so-called “global warming.” Incidentally, the IPCC’s computer models factor in neither El Niño nor the Gulf Stream. Excluding such major climate variables would be like ESPN ignoring baseball and basketball.

America’s biased, pro-“warming” media holistically overlooked this paper in one of Earth’s most serious and respected scientific journals. Had these researchers forecast the years of higher temperatures, you would have heard about it, ad infinitum.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Of course the green industry have renamed it Climate Change now so they get to keep their jobs. Do keep up. ;)
  3. Did it ever start or was it simply a case of this planet doing what it has long done without us and carrying on doing what it will do long after us.
  4. Well theres no global in Germany, its ferking freezing here.

Dumped a load of snow last night too :x
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Of course it was always a load of boll0cks. It started when some poepole were actually listened to even though their research was flawed. Then the monster grew and grew to the point that it is now a multi billion dollar industry. Theres too much invested in it now for it not to be true, so they rename it and move the goal posts every few years and march on regardless.
  6. Not as cold as it used to be, -15C was the norm in the 70s and 80s.
    Global warming? :wink:
  7. I do remember one Ex being called off in 88 as it was so fking cold, after we'd been out a week of course :D
  8. All I know is it used to snow to the depth of a foot or more two or three times a year where I live as little as 15 years ago. Now we usually only get a couple of dustings.
  9. This was done to death on arrse not too long ago and upshot was:-

The pro-warming brigade saying "well what if it is true, theres no harm in reducing CO2" total waste of time talking to them really.

Its true that they have re-named it all now but if the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere did drive it then we should all be swimming by now.......pfft.
  10. Global warming never was. Even now they call it climate change in an atempt to cover for the fact it was all bollox it is still a con.
    The climate may change but its nothing to do with mankind, its called evolution and the planet has been doing it since the big bang.
    Of course it is far easier to rob the public blind with environmental legislation than think up real reason for taxation. it has simply been used as a cash cow by government.

Now science is starting to admit its screwed up I can't see taxes being reduced as a result. Perhaps it may become a little easier to generate electricity once it is properly debunked.
  11. Good. Thankfully I've ripped the catalytic converters off my massive V8 to give it even more power. I'm going to de tune it slightly so it chucks out even more CO2. Luckily it already produces enough CO2 to fill an entire solar system. I'll then strap a couple of Foxes to the exhausts just to piss the animal rights freaks off.
  12. I asked one of my friends who fancies himself to be a proponent of the global-warming/climate-change/etc crowd, "Well, how high will the sea rise if the icecaps melt?" whereupon he quoth "At least 6 inches!"

Well, that's me frightened then... :D

I told him that as the Romans at one time grew grapevines on "that nice south-facing wall built by Hadrian" to get back to me when the Northerners started producing wine again. Until then, the govt can fack off with their taxes.

13. We've hammered this to death on previous threads on ARRSE. Those who don't believe never will. Either way, a single report in a newspaper doesn't mean that climate change is debunked... As a single cool (or warm) year doesn't mean that climate has changed, this is simply called weather.

Sorry to be a pedantic tw@, but changes in the earth's climate are not evolution (although climatic shifts can lead to evolution).

edited for spakky spelling
  14. Bloke down the pub might not be the best source of info. By the 2080s cockneys might need to think about moving upstairs during the winter, as UKCIP02 (see here) suggest increases of ca. 70 cm under the high emissions scenario...