Is Gimli a War Criminal?

Should we ban or restrict the Lord of the Rings trilogy for portraying war criminal Gimli in a good light?

Instead of immediately rendering first aid and calling for a medic (and dust-off by a giant eagle carrying a trauma team), Gimli intends to either let an injured opponent die in agony or execute him (arguably a form of torture, as well).

ttt0901.jpg

Gimli: "Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!"

ttt0902.jpg

Is this the kind of thing we should encourage our children to read and watch?

Should we ban or restrict the Lord of the Rings trilogy for portraying war criminal Gimli in a good light?

Instead of immediately rendering first aid and calling for a medic (and dust-off by a giant eagle carrying a trauma team), Gimli intends to either let an injured opponent die in agony or execute him (arguably a form of torture, as well).

ttt0901.jpg

Gimli: "Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!"

ttt0902.jpg

Is this the kind of thing we should encourage our children to read and watch?
As long as no one films it he'll be fine.

From 2002...

" the bad guys are black, slant-eyed, unattractive, inarticulate and a psychologically undeveloped horde."

Ummmm...

From 2002...

" the bad guys are black, slant-eyed, unattractive, inarticulate and a psychologically undeveloped horde."

Ummmm...

Sort of like a bunch of thieving scousers who hid from the bizzies in a coal bunker?

Oh. Well, in that case, "Nothing to see, move on" ...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Gimli was very woke though, he asked Aragon to toss him off

From 2002...

Ummmm...

...and their point is?

In case anyone has forgotten Rwanda....

th_orig.jpeg

interahamwe-cf98b076-baa6-494c-8f3c-2b7cdb871b0-resize-750.jpeg

Rwanda-Genocide-4-696x464.jpg

r

rwanda-genocide.jpg

And wanted to keep it secret from his "friend", the Elf.
Yeah, this whole "don't ask, don't tell" vibe doesn't sit very well with me.

Tolkien's whole messaging sounds like people going on a quest to throw a magic ring into a magic fire which is guarded by a magic dragon are unable to do so as their authentic selves. Is this really the lived experience we want to promote? I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2022, I'm literally shaking.

Yeah, this whole "don't ask, don't tell" vibe doesn't sit very well with me.

Tolkien's whole messaging sounds like people going on a quest to throw a magic ring into a magic fire which is guarded by a magic dragon are unable to do so as their authentic selves. Is this really the lived experience we want to promote? I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2022, I'm literally shaking.

And so you should.

We had a graduate with our team for a while who claimed Tolkein should be 'cancelled' due to the horrific racism in his writing. Especially the Orcs.

Admittedly, nobody ever listened to him as he used to also rant on about how freedom of speech should only apply to people who are voicing "The right kind of opinions".

Ritch

LE
He was a definite war criminal. He had a killing competition with the Elf and loudly bragged about it.

The monster.

I'll phone The Hague.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads