Is General McChrystal a Para?

Today I was perusing Mark Urban's book about SF in Iraq when I saw in the photos a pic of said US General in no. 1 dress. On his right breast, above the pocket but below the lapel, appeared to be a set of British Para wings. Does anyone know how or when he got them?

E-Bay perhaps????

He certainly has a set, don't know if they are British though.

Definitely not the US Army version (which he appears to have in the correct position on left pocket). It's in the right place for a 'foreign' badge...

29–19. Wear of foreign badges
a. Personnel may not wear more than one foreign badge at a time. Only those badges awarded in recognition of
military activities by the military department of the host country are authorized for acceptance and permanent wear on
the Army uniform. The only Vietnamese badges authorized for wear are the parachute, ranger, and explosive ordnance
disposal badges. Soldiers must obtain approval from HQDA, in accordance with the procedures provided in AR
600–8–22, to accept, retain, and wear a foreign badge.
b. Males wear a foreign badge 1⁄8 inch above the right pocket flap, or 1⁄2 inch above any unit awards that are worn
(see fig 29–84). Females wear the badge 1⁄2 inch above the nameplate, or 1⁄2 inch above any unit awards that are worn
(see fig 29–85). Personnel may not wear a foreign badge unless at least one U.S. medal or service ribbon is worn at the
same time. Foreign badges are not authorized for wear on mess or utility uniforms. Personnel may not wear foreign
badges that are awarded only as cloth badges. Personnel may not wear foreign badges that cannot be worn properly
because of size or configuration.

I don't think they are Brit wings, prob did some time at SHAPE so more likely Belgium or Dutch wings.
They do look like British or Commonwealth wings to me.

Dutch and Belgian ones look very different, according to the website I looked at.

Dutch

Belgian

"Personnel may not wear foreign badges that are awarded only as cloth badges."

Ok, so either no one wanted to mention it to him, he is a General after all, or they're not cloth so they're not ours.

I must be bored researching this! Appears he has earned French, German and British Para wings. Must swap between them as Telegraph reports he was wearing French ones. Entirely different shape...

Gen. David Petraeus and his medals - Telegraph

in which it also reports

Gen Petraeus has at least 13 other medals and badges including the British Parachutist’ Badge unseen in this particular photograph.

They do look like British or Commonwealth wings to me.

Dutch and Belgian ones look very different, according to the website I looked at.

Dutch

Belgian
His Wiki entry (yeah I know its not gospel) shows British Para wings on his awards, decorations and badges. Maybe he did a UK exercise in his time at 82nd and did Brit wings qualifying jumps.

"Personnel may not wear foreign badges that are awarded only as cloth badges."

Ok, so either no one wanted to mention it to him, he is a General after all, or they're not cloth so they're not ours.
Apparently they routinely get metal copies made.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought he had donme an exchange with the British Parachute Regiment
He done his jumps ad was awarded his wings (as I assume the Paras do when they go to Bragg)

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had talked about drinking and playing rugby whilst on exchange with our lot

I woukld assume that 20 years plus service he would have ran across them at some point

I must be bored researching this! Appears he has earned French, German and British Para wings. Must swap between them as Telegraph reports he was wearing French ones. Entirely different shape...

Gen Petraeus has at least 13 other medals and badges including the British Parachutist’ Badge unseen in this particular photograph.
But Petraeus and McChrystal are two completely different US 4* Generals?

But Petraeus and McChrystal are two completely different US 4* Generals?
Fcuk - that'll teach me doing research late at night and blindly trusting what I'd searched for was what was coming up in Google! So, Petraeus displays French para wings (though he has British and German ones too) while McChrystal wears what I suspect are British para wings, which he is entitled to.

I thought he had donme an exchange with the British Parachute Regiment
He done his jumps ad was awarded his wings (as I assume the Paras do when they go to Bragg)

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had talked about drinking and playing rugby whilst on exchange with our lot

I woukld assume that 20 years plus service he would have ran across them at some point
That's what I would have thought. Much the same as our paras can wear foreign wings above the pocket on their smock, if they've qual'd.

He is a giant God bothering cunt, no matter what the badges say