IS Geek Thread

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Forsaken_Child, Aug 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any of the geeks out there know if it's possible to do a data restore onto a Windows 2003 server from a 2000 backup to restore the users and the exchange mailboxes and suchlike?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

FC

2. Dont get me wrong, i've never tried it, and neither would i - its asking for trouble. It might be easier to bring your 2003 Domain Controller online as part of the 2k network, migrate your mail clients onto exch 2003 and then remove the 2000 Exch server. Also, i believe the mail servers are directly upgradeable between 2k and 2k3, but do some reading.

I would trawl the Microsoft knowledge base first, and ask some questions. Also, a lab simulation is a must before you try it. As i'm Neanderthal Technology trained, i cant give you a straight answer, but restoring between 2 differing technologies sounds like hell of a gamble!!

Boney

3. I know, but needs must, I need to get some sort or server working by tomorrow, I'm thinking as they're both AD based it should work ok. Well praying it works ok, if not I'm gonna have to do some IS magic and see what I can bodge.

4. I guess you misunderstood the question then!

In short the answer is no, or not very easily. The problem you have is that Server 2003s' active directory structure is different (larger) than 2000. All is not lost however. You could

a. Setup a 2k server from scratch and restore from your backup and the migrate them to 2003 or...
    b. Setup a Virtual PC on your desktop and install Server 2k, exchange etc and then restore into that. This virtual machine IS a server and WILL talk to your AD setup. You can then upgrade this to 2003 (virtually) and export the info you need.

You can download a 45 day trial of Virtual PC from here..
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en

I can help you more if you post a bit more information such as, Are you running active directory, was the exchange server a domain controller, are your 2003 servers running as domain controllers etc.

5. Entirely possible......
    Am I to understand that we have a backup from 2000 & .......well, that's it.
    We don't have a 2000 server to start with, just the backup?

TTFN

BFG

6. Thanks for that, didn't think of that, getting it downloaded might be a problem, very slow link out here. But that might be the long term answer to the question. The quick fix I'm thinking off is to install either 2000 or 2003 whichever works, this will give me access to the stored data on the RAID which started all this buy the controller dying on me. then see about restoring all the user profiles and making it all nice again? Any better ideas to that? At the minute there's nothing but a backup.

7. Thanks for all the help but after a lot of pissing about with swearing, feet stamping and teddy throwing I've managed to get the new server to start installing 2000, so with any luck that'll work and I won't have to try and bastardise a 2000/2003 hybrid monster thingy. Well with luck.

Many thanks again.

FC

8. 10101010 10100110 10100011 11110010 11100101 10101000!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps!

9. Is the RAID of the same type, I've had many probs just moving disks between machines of the same server family (different generations)

10. slightly off the topic but as we have all the IT folk in one place and giving sound advice.

is it possible for someone to access your PC through MSN messenger without your know how? just i had a splitarrse who added herself to my MSN, was really slow chatting then started asking if i had a credit card etc? i blocked her immediately and switched off PC. im a bit of a mong when it comes to IT security so any advice would be welcomed.

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Couple of questions:

Are you running a firewall,
    Is your ADSL modem USB or a Router?

It should be fairly impossible via MSN, but if they were very good and tracked your IP address down
    and if they managed to either get you to download software or find a hole in your defences then to
    upload a trojan then yes. Massive improbability factor though.

Best defence is to run up-to-date AV software, use a firewall and use a router rather than a USB modem

12. i have zone alarm pro, its a broadband USB modem. not downloaded any software.

just a bit wierd how she went on, maybe just flapping for no apparent reason!

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Zone Alarm Pro is one of the best personal firewalls out there so you should be ok.

Maybe she just liked you and wanted to know if you could afford her prices :)

Always better safe than sorry though!!!