Is football ready for players to come out?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by FSF, Sep 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FSF

FSF

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Given the way that the game has treated black players in the past, and the way that soccer supporters will always pick on differrence (they had a go at female referees and assistants ffs), I very much doubt that any gay soccer player will come out.

The FA has a lot to learn from the W/S/RFU, and, dare I say it, the GAA in this regard.

3. Look what happened to Justin Fashanu.

4. What I want to kno is how do 27% of those questions "personally" know professionals who are gay?

Football has a long way to come with regards to tolerance. They can't even tolerate their opposition supporters, it is quite pathetic. What football stadiums have home & away supporters sat side by side, drinking side by side in local pubs and actually being able to drink within a stadium? If a footballer came out as gay, imagine the chants, abuse etc. from other clubs. And I mean abuse, not just banter.

5. I thought they were all gay. Wendyballers.

6. It's already happened, Justin Fashanu. What happened to him? Killed kimself.

7. I thought anybody who played this sport were a bit limp wristed and effeminate? The sort who get sat on and beaten up by those who chase the egg shaped ball.

8. Nothing past tense about it. Racism is alive and well on the terraces - although it usually only applies to any player on the opposition team, as anyone playing for your team must be OK.

There's no smiley capable of portraying the emotion I felt when writing that.

9. I thought so too. :omfg::snuggle:Watching this summer's World Cup from South Africa didn't change my mind. :pc:

[​IMG]

10. After he had retired and in the midst of allegations of sexual abuse of a 17 year old in a place where the age of consent was 18

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I remember the "You couldn't score with your brother" being chanted at John Fashanu

12. Who gives a shit?

13. well it would explain why people like ronaldo and nani act like poofs.

14. Given that a recent UK survey suggested that only 1.6% of the population was gay,is this an important matter?