Is Facial Recognition & Public Surveillance A Good Thing?

Chef

LE
If it happened once every 10 years, yes I would.
Do you think all ATMs should be banned on the off chance that occasionally one of them doesn't work correctly?
Fair enough, of course if the £20 is the start of a run of mistakes then at the least of it you'd be £20 down before you started taking action.

As to banning ATMs a bit of an extreme reaction. The banks are quietly removing them anyway leaving only the ones which charge for their use. I expect you're happy with that.

Given the way that cash is, quite literally, going the question will soon be redundant and we'll be relying on the integrity of the banks not to rip off the consumer more than they do now.

That aside I'm sure that facial recognition will be fine and that if it ever gets to 99% accuracy the 1%ers who get minorly inconvenienced will also write it off to experience.

Fair enough, of course if the £20 is the start of a run of mistakes then at the least of it you'd be £20 down before you started taking action.

As to banning ATMs a bit of an extreme reaction. The banks are quietly removing them anyway leaving only the ones which charge for their use. I expect you're happy with that.

Given the way that cash is, quite literally, going the question will soon be redundant and we'll be relying on the integrity of the banks not to rip off the consumer more than they do now.

That aside I'm sure that facial recognition will be fine and that if it ever gets to 99% accuracy the 1%ers who get minorly inconvenienced will also write it off to experience.
Im sure they will eventully, like most technology, from contactless cards to paying over the internet eventully the luddites decide that it benefits them more than it inconviences them and accept it.

You might want to have a look at The UK's ATM network
and https://www.psr.org.uk/sites/default/files/media/PDF/Protecting_free_to_use_ATMs.pdf

Chef

LE
Im sure they will eventully, like most technology, from contactless cards to paying over the internet eventually the luddites decide that it benefits them more than it inconviences them and accept it.
I've no doubt you're right on the matter. Scant comfort when one of the banks/building societies had a computer glitch that stopped their customers accessing their accounts for a few days.

To quote the Jam.

'The public wants what the public gets.'

Im sure they will eventully, like most technology, from contactless cards to paying over the internet eventully the luddites decide that it benefits them more than it inconviences them and accept it.
That was a very short lived, but I’m sure significant revenue stream for the banks. I wonder what else they will sting us with to compensate.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
'The public wants what the public gets.'
Pubs and Wormwood Scrubs and too many right wing meetings or Eton Rifles ?

Chef

LE

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads