Is Facial Recognition & Public Surveillance A Good Thing?

civvy

Old-Salt
A company I worked for was toying with biometrics for login purposes. People forget passwords and unless the password reissue process is at least as good and the original issue process you have a problem. People also lose ID cards etc. One very high security place I visited had a Post-it stuck on a workks]station with User "Tornado" P/W "Storm" on it. People are stupid.

However I , as Head of IS Security vetoed it. Because if a credetials database is breached, new credentialsare issued and normal jogging is continued. If a biometrics database is breached getting a new face seems a bit excessive. Databases are breached with monotous regularity, hence advice not to reuse passwords / user IDs. Not reusing your face? Hmm.

Identity theft is a real problem. If biometrics are involved it becomes even harder to prove you are a victim and even harder to put right because those in authority belive the computer. I had an estate car but it was on the DVLA database as a saloon. Do you think I could get it changed? NFC. I gave up because it didn't really matter did it. Well yes, beacause everyone, including insurance companies use the DVLA database. All was well until I had a broken windscreen. The guy came out to fit a new one, took the old one out and then found out that the estate car had a different windscreen to the saloon. Oh good.

TL : DR Databases are used / abused /administered by people who shouldn't brush their teeth unsupervised. An if they cock up, it's you who won't be believed.

Having said that, the fingerprint readers on my phone and laptop are ace!

Which degree is the policeman working ?
The first one appears to be female, so cannot be a Brother (except they can be nowadays).
In the second picture, I'd love to know what the Black officer was thinking about the woke twat on his knee.

Edit as I monged the original post.

The first one appears to be female, so cannot be a Brother (except they can be nowadays).
In the second picture, I'd love to know what the Black officer was thinking about the woke twat on his knee.

Edit as I monged the original post.
I think the bird was kneeling to take the weight off her fat cankles.

If I worked with her, I would print off 1000 copies and spend the next 2½ yrs sticking one daily on her locker, the virtual signalling bag of tripe

Last edited:
What he said - known felons can be fed into the system.
Like to shoplift? As soon as you enter the shopping centre, lights light up.
I get to listen to our City Centre Radio net daily. As soon as one Security Guard clocks Mr StickyFingers, he's flagged to the CCTV and everyone's watching him. Guards will also pass that data onto others as soon as one the thieving bastards enters another guards store. Basically the Facial Reignition is already in effect as you describe, its just more error prone.

Last edited:
A company I worked for was toying with biometrics for login purposes. People forget passwords and unless the password reissue process is at least as good and the original issue process you have a problem. People also lose ID cards etc. One very high security place I visited had a Post-it stuck on a workks]station with User "Tornado" P/W "Storm" on it. People are stupid.

However I , as Head of IS Security vetoed it. Because if a credetials database is breached, new credentialsare issued and normal jogging is continued. If a biometrics database is breached getting a new face seems a bit excessive. Databases are breached with monotous regularity, hence advice not to reuse passwords / user IDs. Not reusing your face? Hmm.

Identity theft is a real problem. If biometrics are involved it becomes even harder to prove you are a victim and even harder to put right because those in authority belive the computer. I had an estate car but it was on the DVLA database as a saloon. Do you think I could get it changed? NFC. I gave up because it didn't really matter did it. Well yes, beacause everyone, including insurance companies use the DVLA database. All was well until I had a broken windscreen. The guy came out to fit a new one, took the old one out and then found out that the estate car had a different windscreen to the saloon. Oh good.

TL : DR Databases are used / abused /administered by people who shouldn't brush their teeth unsupervised. An if they cock up, it's you who won't be believed.

Having said that, the fingerprint readers on my phone and laptop are ace!
This.

If you collect biometric data and lose it, or are hacked. You are f***ed. Information Commissioners are lining up to get the first company for this because it’ll be big. Losing Personal or Sensitive Personal Information is Bad, but much of it can be addressed - particularly if you throw money at the victims.

Lose attributable biometric data and the victim will be thrilled that an identity that they can’t change is owned by the bad guys. They’ll see you in court.

For every outfit I see that’s remotely credible in biometrics I see three or four that are basically an accident waiting to happen; generally breezy Hoxton startups full of bizarrely-titled staff backed by lavish but naïf VC. Oh, and UK Govt is clueless on biometrics too.

There is also another potential issue with biometrics. If information is recorded, and interpreted, about a medical condition what obligation does a company have to share or suppress this. For example, a fitness tracker records high blood pressure, is the provider obliged to tell you? If not, and you fall ill or die because of it, what is their liability? Similarly, eye scanners used for access, can they / should they record data that indicates health problems (cancer, diabetes, cardio-vascular problems may all be detected this way)?

A, global, insurance company that I spoke with about this (they have a fitness tracking programme) don't believe that they should be liable but acknowledge that it could become an issue.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
On the other hand, if that same guy triggers the system at the mainline station, and three other points in the underground system, and it happens to be State Opening of Parliament, and he's getting off the train at Westminster, and there's intelligence of a spectacular in the offing, perhaps he is worthy of closer inspection.
It'd be a winning crowdfunding move.

Didn't realise this debate was still running. Well done chaps, tally ho and all that.

Meanwhile, I'm off down to the Kings Head Public House with John, Bob and me Mother.....

It's not as accurate as you'd think.

ANPR accuracy. RAC.
A 4% error rate isnt that bad when they also say this
The DVLA says all images taken by the cameras will be cross referenced to make sure the models and makes of vehicles involved are the same as those on their records.

Chef

LE
A 4% error rate isnt that bad when they also say this
The DVLA says all images taken by the cameras will be cross referenced to make sure the models and makes of vehicles involved are the same as those on their records.
Interestingly late last year one of my friends was being pursued for non payment of the congestion charge I seem to remember. The photo showed a similar model except it had a sunroof which hers didn't have.

Despite this and other important details like she didn't go into town. It still took a long time to get the penalty binned.

I'm sure the agencies involved will be just as diligent as all the other civil service departments are.

Interestingly late last year one of my friends was being pursued for non payment of the congestion charge I seem to remember. The photo showed a similar model except it had a sunroof which hers didn't have.

Despite this and other important details like she didn't go into town. It still took a long time to get the penalty binned.

I'm sure the agencies involved will be just as diligent as all the other civil service departments are.
Minor inconvenience.

Spoken like a true bureaucrat.
Spoken like someone who know technology isnt foolproof, but we all use it when we think its to our benefit.

Chef

LE
Spoken like someone who know technology isnt foolproof, but we all use it when we think its to our benefit.
If an ATM said it had given you the £100 you'd wanted but actually been £20 short would you be happy to write it off as a minor inconvenience?

If an ATM said it had given you the £100 you'd wanted but actually been £20 short would you be happy to write it off as a minor inconvenience?
If it happened once every 10 years, yes I would.
Do you think all ATMs should be banned on the off chance that occasionally one of them doesn't work correctly?

Latest Threads