IS Engineer Transfer

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by stitch123, Jul 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently a vocational within a capbadge which is not RS. I have recently attended and completed the ApSpec Foundation course at RSS, Blandford.

I did very well on this course as I have always had personal interest in computing and networking, and as such got an extremely good course report, including the line 'should be considered for transfer to RS'.

After a chat with relevant people at Blandford the role of IS Engineer has appealed to me.

Now, my question is this, if I become an IS Engineer how much system admin and networking and all that relevant stuff which I actually do? I have spoken to various people here (all ex signals) who have mentioned - sweeping garages, painting Land Rovers and various other bone tasks, and generally how do you think you are treated.

My transfer letter is ready to put in, all I want is a little bit of advice (please not too many geek jokes!)
  2. I'm not going to make any geek jokes - but why are sweeping garages and painting Land Rovers bone jobs? If you are posted, as an IS Engr, to a deployable unit equipment care and looking after your working environment will be as much a part as your job as deploying your IS. Dont be put off by it, every other trade has to do their bit so why shouldnt IS Engrs?

How much time you spend at the IS coal face depends on where you are posted. Like i say, you may be posted to a unit where your IS role is purely a deployed one or you may go to a static location where your doing your trade every day. I have found, with experience, that those who deploy their trade generally think "outside the box" more than those who work to the Microsoft rule. Its not a bad thing, but makes for a much more rounded tradesman once you've gone through a couple of postings.

One thing that is a certainty, if you become an IS Engr and you've got a full set of limbs and can breathe outside of an iron lung, your going on Operations.
  3. Everybody does plenty of crap jobs from time to time, but make no mistake, you'll end up on ops doing IS probably very quickly. The demand in theatre for those skillsets is huge. Like Boney says, it depends what unit you go to, but think of the longer gameplan and it's a no-brainer. If you have a genuine enthusiam for that kind of work then the Army will get value, you'll enjoy your work and then at some point in the future when you leave, civvie street should hold no fear. Go for it.
  4. I employ lots of IS Geeks most of which have signed off not due to doing bone jobs but because the work commitment is so high.

If there not deployed they are on exercise supporting other units who are not up on IT. Or they are away learning the latest software.

The Army is taking this on in a big way so you will always have a bisy job.

Look at it this way the amount of courses needed by people in your trade group to do day to day work is rediculas. When you do leave the Army you wont want for a job!!!
  5. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more with PD and BM, take the jump. Learn new skills and get experiences that civilians simply cannot comprehend.

I am sure at the Green Regiments there are some bone tasks that you will get and you will put up more tents than a regiment of boy scouts but sadly thats just part and parcel of the Corps - you take the rough with the smooth.

There are significant career opportunities for IS Engineers, all you have to do is make the effort!

Do it and make the most of the chance!
  6. Go for IS! You are better of being anything but, Royal Signals. Just ask any trade from the the Corps Who has gone IS. The corp will bend over backwards for anybody IS, apart for the ones who have retraded from the Sigs! (they get s**t on)...EAT THE APPLE F**K THE CORPs
  7. IS Eng is a pinch point, I can assure you that you will not be sweeping garages... most likely getting fragged (but enjoying it) doing IS in 1 of 2 Operational theatres.

Go for it!
  8. Some good advice, from everyone else. Konb.
  9. I agree. Mr Padthebad, come back to us when you can present a reasoned argument in some sort of written language. That was just a garbled bunch of pish, you lunatic.
  10. [quote="boney_m]
    One thing that is a certainty, if you become an IS Engr and you've got a full set of limbs and can breathe outside of an iron lung, your going on Operations.[/quote]

Make note of that last point, whilst on my de-brief from the last tour there was already mention of me going out again. I think the in 3 months time comment was a p1ss take but I wouldnt take it for granted. Too many tasks and not enough FE people - although I dont see why some of these P3 people cant deploy? Take the money do the job :)
  11. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

I think you will find that 2 Sigs deployed some IS out on ops that were P3. P3 does not stop you from deploying. It just needs a form from the MO saying that you are fit to deploy.
  12. If you don't feel ready to take the plunge by transferring from your present cap badge, have you considered a move to the IS Stream? Thats where I am going when my present posting is completed.

13. Have a read through this page, regarding the E2 Career Stream. There's some useful contacts on there.
  14. bitter ? not get selected ? shame, go for IS mate, im a corps retrader from RTG (-.-- . ...) and its done me no wrong, well did but quickly rectified itself as it noticed it, anyone that doesnt reccomend a shot at IS is plain dumb, do you think they sat there and looked at the wheel and said nah its crap no future in that, Balls did they, the future is GREEN, the future is IS, i bloody hate orange specially when its associated with the colour blue.

get that letter in and get across, the roster needs keen blokes !! not bitter ones.
  15. I would 150% recommend you go for it - I had a fantastic time with the Royal Signals during my tenure on DS1 and since leaving the Army have not looked back.
    You will find the expertise and professionalism first rate, coupled with the numerous opportunities that will be afforded to you with regards to courses and most importantly promotion.
    The only down side - is workload, very demanding - but have to admit very rewarding.
    Any regrets – none whatsoever
    Go for it