Is Des Browne to be Replaced?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This IS from a local paper - the North West Evening News, after the Torygraph ran the story

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Can't be any worse than what we have now
    Although I assume it's only to the next election

The Rt Hon John Hutton MP

John Hutton was appointed the first Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform when the new Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) was created by Gordon Brown in June 2007. BERR will help create the conditions for business success and promote productivity and enterprise, across Government and within the EU.

Prior to that he was Secretary of State Department of Work and Pensions.

John Hutton entered the Cabinet as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster in May 2005. He was Minister of State with responsibility for Social Care at the Department of Health from 1999 and took on responsibility for Health in June 2001.

Before his election to Parliament he was a senior law lecturer at the University of Northumbria. After his election, from 1994 to 1997, he served on the Select Committee for Home Affairs.

He was Parliamentary Private Secretary to Margaret Beckett, both while she was President of the Board of Trade and Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (1997-1998), and in her role as President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons (1998). Mr Hutton was appointed Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health and Social Care in Oct 1998.

Mr Hutton was born on 6 May 1955 and was educated at Westcliffe High School and Magdalen College Oxford. He has three sons and one daughter.
  3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Looks like a party drone / lobby fodder to me. Can't see much difference to the clown we have now except it'll take away the Tories jibe that he's a part-time SoS for Defence.
  4. Am I right in guessing then that yet another "haven't got a fuckin' clue about the real world or defence" Neu Arbiet Nomenklatura Apparatchik has got lucky....?
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Yep I think you are
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Inheriting the sh1te that Bliar, Broon and half/Broon have given him?

There is some merit in the view that taking over from a total to66er can benefit your career ... I did it at least twice, and it did me no harm. But the Defence portfolio would not be a happy prospect after the fukc-ups of the last decade or so.
  7. The comment about him being good for Barrow and Vickers/BAe is mainly because he's the constituency MP for Barrow in Furness!
  8. Can't be any worse can he even if he is a 'yes man'!?
  9. Yes, he is going to be replaced. By a small egg-plant.

They've finally realised they need a significant step-up in capability.
  10. cant they find anyone with any military experience, oh forgot its the labiar party.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Is this the same John Hutton who headed the whitew . . . enquiry into David Kelly, the dead scientist under contract to the MOD?

If so, I'm sure he'll be a very popular, skilled, devoted, respected, upstanding, careful, thorough . . . aaah nurse, thank gawd you've arrived - just in time for me pills!

Watch out Mr Dannat Sir - stay away from the woods today!
  12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Hutton used to be my MP. Not a bad constituency MP, but a Neu Arbeit apparatchik.
  13. Well at least he'll lobby for more orders for the BAE shipyard in Barrow then. Wanna buy a couple of extra Astute subs Admiral? :wink:

Broon's constituency includes Rosyth dockyard. Spookily enough, it's never been in danger of closure during Neu Arbeits occupation of the UK... Even more spooky is that a lot of the work assembling CVF is due to be carried out there...... :roll:
  14. No, that was a Judge, see below

This is the one being talked about

Linky 2
  15. You get a cigar. A vast complex multi-billion department is going to be managed by someone with - wait for it - no relevant experience.

For those wondering why government departments are so relentlessly incompetent and inefficient, look no further.

But it's true, you'd see an improvement even if you replaced Des Browne with a 50-litre bag of ericaceous compost, so this Hutton could hardly be worse. (No, he's not the Hutton who whitewashed the Kelly affair. Different tosspot.)

I'm not cynical and bitter, me.