Is CMT really that bad?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by aeterna, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the information gathered on this website i'm beginning to drop fruit in the loom of my pants. Is it a sin to become a CMT?, you make it sound like crapping white hot razor blades. Is the lifestyle any good in terms of sports and travel?. I can reason with the pay not being the best but i get the impression it's a tolerable lifestyle in the main. Would one encounter many female Med techs or are they a rarity?. I would very much appreciate a true response as to what i may expect on becoming a med tech. The Robot man (ODP) seems to be a total and complete piss stain. Is he correct in his evaluations of med techs or is he just being a pleb?. Genuine information on med tech lifestyle and qualifications/promotion chances would help me a great deal. Finally, i'm 24. Does this represent a relic for a new applicant?.
  2. change trades mate dont even go there. its not worth it.
  3. Can you please specify mate, i'm not aware of the disincentives.
  4. I cannot give u my experience as I am not a CMT, but a friend of mine is and I have never heard him say anything good about it! He is not renewing at the end of his service contract, insted joining the NHS ambulance service and is planning of going to train as a paramedic. He described his day at work as a kind secretary and just did paperwork fileing etc
    but obviously this is not own experience! would u not want to train to be a nurse? CMT training is also not recognised by NHS, so if u were to come out of the army and decide to go it in civvi healthcare, u would have to start from scratch, however nursing etc is valid every!

good luck in what eva u decide! hopefully someone else will be able to give u 1st hand advice
  5. Are you female? I'm not a CMT (obviously) but our medcentre Sgt is and she tlls me that 50% or more of most med regiments are female. I dont believe commisioning from the ranks is great prospect though. True also, you get next to no civvy quals. Although to be fair the two CMTs (A Cpl and a Sgt) I've worked with were happy enough with their lot. Although the Cpl did used to recommend against transfering into RAMC from Engineers. I thought about it, there are certainly alot worse things to do.
  6. Stacks of travel. Iraq and Afghanistan being the pouplar ones. Theres loads of other travel available inc. med covers ie Kenya,Canada to name a couple. Loads of sport if you want it and if your any good. A lot more than is available to a proffesional trade ie real job, nurse, ODP who are stuck on shifts and hospital life.

loads. If thats a good thing or a bad thing is dependant on what you'r after. They were without question the biggest change to CMT life in the last 25 years I can remember.

Who said the pay is no good? It's is banded like all the other trades with promotion available through to WO1. Its tolerable if it suits you, similar to any other "job" in the Army.

Lifestyle is what you make it, Wed and Fri afternoons playing sport and on the pi*s. Qualifications although taking ages to get these days dont equate to anything in civvie street although they are trying to get affiliation to para medics status. Ive seen them try that numerous times before although there is a pilot scheme being run at the moment.

Older applicants from my experience go one of 2 ways. Accelerated promotion due to maturity or fall by the wayside due to failure to accept orders from younger pers.

You need to make your own mind up. If you want to be a civvie with pay coming from the army become a nurse, ODP etc and you will get a trade for your return to mummies apron. If you want to live the peaks and troughs of the Army ie Stags, exercises, tours, getting fu*ked around on one side of the coin against sport, adv trg, time off, comeraderie etc then give it a shot.

Only you will ever know what you want. What are you upto at the mo? At 24 you need to be making decisions if you are incapable of that get a proffesional trade.
  7. In all honesty smithy i first took a shine to the royal military police. Thoughts of CMT only entered my mind when i began to research all my options. I've been working in a bar in Spain and just got back recently. This decision as you say is a massive one. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
  8. aeterna,

Don't listen to Smithy749. First of all he said the ODP is always stuck on shift. I transfered to the darkside and became an ODP and I think I have made the right move.

I was never a CMT but all my ODP counterparts that were are glad to of made the move. They talk endlessly about the sh*t they had to endure and all the things they couldn't do because they were on some crap exercise putting up tents and being used as slaves rather than professional medic's. I am not slaging the CMT, I respect anyone’s role but from what I have heard and the people I know steer clear unless you are really sure it is what you want.

Yes there are women and sports to be had but only if you are one of the gifted. One person may be skiing for the unit but that’s still about 300 people putting up tents and getting sh*t jobs and the lady CMT's are usually shagging the Para, Infantry and ODP lads.

On a final note...I transferred to ODP and have been up to my nuts in guts whilst at uni, I get paid on the higher band which lasts until I reach SGT and I have been on plenty of civilian recognised course's in my short time within the trade. When I leave after returning my service to the big cheese (Doesn't mean I’m leaving before or after three years unlike certain people) I will be guaranteed a job with good money. Oh! and I have done plenty of sports, sightseeing and drinking.

Top Job!
  9. No thats right dont listen to an ex-RSM with over 22 years experience of the CMT trade solely!, "listen to me a half trained mong who is on easy street being pampered in trade training and with no experience of the CMT trade apart from a few ex-CMT's who couldn't hack it whinging like bitches!!

Listen, I was a CMT for 12 years and it's not all a bed of roses, however it's what you make it.

If you want to look back on a Army experience that was all white walls (with a bit of green thrown in now and then) theatre shoes and 'hibitane' then go ODP and good luck to you.

Yes being a CMT can mean stagging on and doing tentage etc, but there is a lot more to be had (see smithy's post), and don't listen to those who have never done it.
  10. Stan,

lets clear things up...I have done just as much service as you in another CEG and transferred to ODP after plenty of Op tours and no I am not in trade training, I have been qualified for some time.

Smithy stated that the ODP was always on shift and you went on about white walls and a bit of green thrown in. Yes we work in theatres because that is our job but I never find myself in there 24/7. I was just making the point that there is just as much to do as an ODP as any CMT but with an awesome qualification thrown in. I have played sports, been on professional development (All civi quals) and been in the green but generally without the BullS*it due to being treated as an adult.

Also the CMT's I know have given up stripes to transfer to be an ODP and they were generally the cream of the CMT world. PTI's, Instructors and people who do not need to justify their reasons for transfering as they have been on many OP's as CMT's and carried out the Sh*t jobs.

I would recommend to anyone who thinks they can pass the difficult entrance tests and willing to study to become an ODP.
  11. The crux of what I was trying to say was if you want to join the Army join the Army. Its not a job. ODP is a job. Civilian training in civilian hospitals. The army although offering quals etc is about lifestyle and doing something different and adventurous with peaks and troughs. Not about gaining degrees etc. I accept you get a good qual and a future in civvie street but if thats what you want go to civvie street. In the main you do your 40 hour week integrated into a civilian rota fixing civilains. If your in B'ham you probably dont even have a uniform and live in a rented civilain house.

If this guy wants to experience the ups and downs etc then join the field army. If he wants to be an ODP then be one but why in the Army. I was answering his questions as an Ex MA/CMT. I didnt imply which way he should vote.
  12. Was an RMA, and thats what I heard, from the horses mouth as it were. They spoke highly of it, but its mostly putting up tents. Obviously as you progress you can get med centre postings etc so gets better.
  13. Dont know what ODP stands for, but surely they're soldiers too? I bet they're in field hospitals in iraq. Good for them if thats what they want, sounds like common sense to me. Edited to add: If thats what you want go to civvy street? You're talking bollocks mate.
  14. Judging by the above presumtions and specualtion your argument/comment doesn't hold a great deal of strength.

I think
    PS Mate is a Navy rank.
  15. After 16yrs a CMT i feel qualified to comment about my trade. As smithy said it's what you make it. I get so feck*d off with TFI's who after transfer find out the "Grass ain't Greener" and even more annoyed when their not CMT's trying to comment on our job. As a CMT you can go anywhere with anyone because everyone wants a medic behind them when the sh1t hits the fan. Yes the first few years in a med regt are tentage and box checking etc, this is to learn about the kit and equipment (do tankies not go to the tank park during the working day). Once a class one with a bit of rank on your arm the world is your oyster. Take your pick of the teeth arms or stay in a med regt and go up the chain that way. The CEG is splitting soon ( been a long wait) so you choose your path and those who are disgruntled will only have themselves to blame.

I'm a CMT and it's the job i chose. If you don't like being a CMT and whinge all the time then sign off and let someone who has the drive and ambition replace you.