Is Call-Me-Dave doing a BLiar ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dogs_bollox, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard on Radio 4 this morning that CMD is now saying that North Korea could nuke us here in the UK and therefore we need a Trident replacement and that we need it to be in Scotland ? Checked the Torygraph and it seems I heard correctly ....

David Cameron: 'to axe Trident would put us in danger' - Telegraph

And in particular:

"For the first time, he suggests that Britain may be in range of ballistic missiles fired by the “highly unpredictable and aggressive regime” in North Korea. "

Is this another ruse to get us to stick our noses in N.Korea, S.Korea and the US's little domestic ?

Surely we have neither reason nor interest to get involved in what is happening.

Are we really more at risk now than during the Cold War ?

Another war anyone ? After all, we are only extremely overstretched right now ..........

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Call Me Dave is doing what he always does - giving a sound bite on the issue of the moment.

I would be far more impressed in many of these sound bites turned into demonstrably achieved actions. However, he almost invariably fails to follow up on his rhetoric when the issue loses the media spotlight.

I wonder if he realiaes what effect this is having on this long term credibility? He came to power promising a new politics and has instead proved as trustworthy as the Labour slimeballs in the previous government.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I am yet to be convinced that NoK has a nucloid device. I believe that their nucloid detonations and their accident at Ryongchon were conventional. I believe that their underground nucloid tests were huge conventional detonations of the type achieved by both us and the germans in WWI after we had undermined each others positions. I may of course be barking mad and completely wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I've bought a Samsung telly and DVD player, so I've done my bit. CMD can bugger off.

5. According to this,if they fire up their old production facility then in about 6 months it will be ready to produce about 6kgs of product per annum.
    6kgs is enough for one warhead.............
    North Korea can likely revive reactor in six months, needs years for more bombs

6. My thoughts exactly and the legal loophole required.

7. I'll pack mi' bergen just incase.

Bloody Koreans..

8. All the various experts say the 2009 and 2013 tests were nuke. That's the French, Germans, South Koreans, the Yanks, the Russians and the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization who all say they were nuke tests...........

2006 North Korean nuclear test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Over to you.

CMD is setting out the case for a Trident replacement.

And we are already "involved" in any resumption of the Korean war as the war has not ended, only an armistice was agreed. Which is a situation in a war where the warring parties agree to stop fighting before sorting out a peace treaty. Which has never happened in Korea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's very pleasing to see that buzzword bingo is still popular with some posters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  11. What the PM actually says in his article is:

12. AFTER he commits the entire British Army to supporting a terrorist organisation in their attempts to seize power under the guise of a 'humanitarian' operation...

AND, after he commits the entire British Army to support another states selfish national interest and the even more selfish personal interest of a few uppity exiles from another state, in the name of regional security from (non-existant) WMD...

AND, after he commits the entire British Army to support another states efforts to reduce its overseas commitments by leading the charge to drag all of NATO into another foreign misadventure...

THEN, and only then, maybe the comparison is justified.

Sounded to me like he was using North Korea to justify some domestic polticking:
    1) Rather spend cash on Trident replacement than welfare - poke in the LibDem's eyes.
    2) Prepared to invest in Scotland - poke in the ScotNat's eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. To me he is putting forward the argument for maintaining/replacing Trident by using N.Korea as this weeks example, next week it will be Iran, what ever is applicable to the day. Thats what soundbite politicians do.

As for N.Koreas ability to plant one in Europe, I say no.

14. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Bit dusty in here...