Is British Army training as tough as it was before say the 1990's

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SPIDER38, Aug 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SPIDER38

SPIDER38 On ROPs

I would like to state before hand i have never been in the Army or the force's,but is the training of the elite unit's in the British Army as tough as it was before the military was libralised.Iknow recently about the tragic death's of the 3 SAS[R] soldier's but it seem's these were in extreme condition's,so are the paras,SAS,SBS and Marine's what they were and is there training comparable to the other Elite Force's around the world...

2. It's all teddy bears and fluffy pillows now. In my day we had to crawl across fields full of rabid dogs just to get to the cookhouse, and the instructors would shoot us dead - daily. Mind you back then it was all green fields around here.

• Like Like x 21
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Yes, yes and probably not.

That's a wild guess right there. You'd be hard pushed to find someone on ARRSE who has done the SAS, SBS and 32 week Royal Marines training courses all the space of one career, so uh.. could be a lost cause mate.

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You were lucky.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Really?!

Nowadays if you raise your hand and say 'OWIES!' really loud they let you off the assault course and give you digestives whilst everyone else carries on.

6. Can I cum in your hair?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. When I was in Basic we used to be paraded every Saturday night and the section commanders would select two recruits to be forced to enter the cage and fight to the death with farm implements. The deaths were covered up as 'training accidents'.

The screams never leave you.

• Like Like x 27
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. I was once beaten to death for having an unhappy sock. I got better though.

• Like Like x 14
  9. I was talking to my my old mate Gauis Decimus Cuntybollox only the other day. He says it's been going downhill since we finished the wall and stopped doing the training at Camolodnum. Tallest on the dexter, shortest on the sinister my arse.

• Like Like x 4
  10. SPIDER38

SPIDER38 On ROPs

I grew in the 1980's [i'am mid thirtie's] watching the TVprogramme THE PARAS and the cutting edge programmes these to me were like a horror show for the ear's frightening MEN screeming at the recruits [who looked like men] also my uncle was a soldier in the 60's and 70's and he looked the typical impresion of a squaddie in that era ie mutton chop's stocky and stiff lipped,but when i see the documentry's today the squaddies do look much younger and frankly a lot less intimidating..

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You're just getting old.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Christ, people always claim that education started going downhill after Labour took power in '97. Apparently though it was utter dogshit in the 1980s too.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Training has developed, so that there aren't the horrifically high injury rates\methods of instruction have become more effective. The men & women* are able to perform on ops; surely that is proof enough?

*Not talking strat leadership.

• Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1

14. In the 60's and 70's, were they cavalry?

15. You after a bit of male company?