Is Britain good at any sport?

#1
What an excellent weekend of sport that was ... if you happened to be Jonny Foreigner. What exactly are we good at anymore? Perhaps we could turn complaining, growing fat or talking about who won celebrity X Factor-Dancing-In the Jungle-On Ice-Weight Loss-On Horseback-Idol into National sports.

I was all geared up for a decent weekend of basking in England/Britain's glory and sticking two fingers up to the "old enemy". Instead i have to put up with the Duchess saying "Well at least England are second in the world". Second in the world?! What's the fcuking point in that?! I wanted us to be first. It all couldn't have happened on one day either, oh no, the pain of it all had to be dragged out of the whole weekend. I even tuned into one of the most boring sports going, p1ssing Formula 1, in the vain hope that we might win something.
 
#2
What we need to do is invent a new sport, then we can at least win for a couple of years while everyone else is learning the rules :D

As for the F1, it was one of the best seasons we've had in a long time. My money is on Alonso sabotaging Hamilton's car as his ego was damaged by the rookie thrashing him! As it is though Kimi 'the robot' won it, I think he almost smiled on the post race interview, could be wrong though
 
#3
It always happens. We get to the finals only to be dissappointed with the outcome as it seems that we just don't have what it takes. It's a real shame we couldn't stick one up the South Africans, especially that Percy Montgomery smug faced tosser. Still, we're pretty good at the old war thing.
 
#4
I'm willing to settle for beating the fcuking Aussies and French during the world cup. The Aussies because they're a bunch of chip-on-the-shoulder cnuts and the French for being French.

Did anyone notice if Alonso had stopped throwing his teddy bear now that it turned out he beat Hamilton in the Drivers Championship? Whinging spanish, long haired, tapas eating, piss drinking t*rd.
 
#5
Bloody hell, its the glass half empty brigade. We are good at most sports. We are not always the best but we only make up a tiny proportion of the worlds population after all. So to be up there at the top and mixing with the best is nothing to be ashamed of.

Whats with the negative waves Moriarty?
 
#6
You're right, it was good to rub the Aussie's faces in it and it's always good to beat the French, just because they're French.
 
#9
The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
You're right, it was good to rub the Aussie's faces in it and it's always good to beat the French, just because they're French.
Exactly, beating France is a national trait, we can't help it. Aussies getting beaten is always fun and to think they accuse us of whinging. :oops:
 
#10
FFS, people. NO ONE has successfully defended the Webb Ellis trophy and we got further towards that goal than most.

And no one has won the Drivers Championship in their first year so Hamilton did unbelievably well to get where he did.
 
#11
There's always Elephant Polo. Brits have retained the world championship, doncherno. Make that a national sport and you get a massive boost to the national ego as well as a massive boost to the rhubarb.
 
#12
Ord_Sgt said:
Bloody hell, its the glass half empty brigade. We are good at most sports. We are not always the best but we only make up a tiny proportion of the worlds population after all. So to be up there at the top and mixing with the best is nothing to be ashamed of.

Whats with the negative waves Moriarty?
Apologies. I will chill out by drinking some wine, eating some cheese and catching some rays. It's the stress of it all.
 
#13
Noone's disputing the fact it was a great achievment just getting to the final, nearly winning a championship. I just think we all had high hopes this weekend and unfortunately we came away with nothing.
 
#14
Ref: Rugby. I thought the lads played a blinder. Yes, we were unlucky but it was a far healthier performance than in recent years. The RSA had a devil of a time trying to break through our defensive line which wasn't the case weeks ago.
 
#16
blackrat_scaleyback said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Bloody hell, its the glass half empty brigade. We are good at most sports. We are not always the best but we only make up a tiny proportion of the worlds population after all. So to be up there at the top and mixing with the best is nothing to be ashamed of.

Whats with the negative waves Moriarty?
Apologies. I will chill out by drinking some wine, eating some cheese and catching some rays. It's the stress of it all.


your not French are you!?
I hope it's new world wine and chedder.

tin hat on....go
 
#17
What a great weekend!

England loosing to South Africa - was not really in doubt

Hamilton - bottled it in the first corner, there isa great photo of him with Ron Dennis in the Metro.

Other drivers have done a similar thing in their first season so if you have the best car and engine then you have a better chance of winning.

I blame ITV and its curse for the pressure that was put on both events.

Still England may have a chance with the Snooker! alls not lost yet.
 
#18
I don't think it comes down to population size - the aussies achieve great results in sport with a low population count. Their climate and culture however, are geared for sporting success. Britain is cold and damp and does not have the sporting facitilites that other more successful countries have. Also, we have this pc correctness illness pervading the schooling system where no pupil is allowed to lose - so running races, etc are often not even encouraged in the younger years. My child, in junior school has not yet participated in an athletics competition - this was standard in all years in Australia.
 
#19
Murphy_Slaw said:
blackrat_scaleyback said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Bloody hell, its the glass half empty brigade. We are good at most sports. We are not always the best but we only make up a tiny proportion of the worlds population after all. So to be up there at the top and mixing with the best is nothing to be ashamed of.

Whats with the negative waves Moriarty?
Apologies. I will chill out by drinking some wine, eating some cheese and catching some rays. It's the stress of it all.


your not French are you!?
I hope it's new world wine and chedder.

tin hat on....go
It's Morrison's wine and cheddar. You can take your hat off Murphy.
 
#20
smartascarrots said:
There's always Elephant Polo. Brits have retained the world championship, doncherno. Make that a national sport and you get a massive boost to the national ego as well as a massive boost to the rhubarb.
I think you'll find that's Scotland (oops, sorry, I meant "Britain's representative" which is what the Jocks are usually called when England are out/didn't qualify).

Elephant polo
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top