Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is bergen/webbing, etc. held by unit or the individual?

Badger223

Swinger
Forgive the asinine questions, I'm not so fresh out the factory but have been out of trade since finishing training and been sitting behind a desk with a bunch of civil servants.

When lads are getting their kit tailored, are they doing it to the kit they're issued from the stores? Does initial issue stuff you get from the battalion stores get sent back when you change unit (not really applicable to infantry bods who stay put, but I'll be posting out of unit if I pick up full screw next year), or does it stay with you til you sign off and dekit?

I'm assuming its held by the person since reissuing kit at every change of post would be a hassle with no benefit but this is the army after all, and I recall some transferees on a career course needing webbing, etc. from the training wing since they didn't have their own, which makes me wonder if they handed it back when being reposted.

Not like it really matters, I imagine it's cheaper to tailor your kit and then get charged for it than it is buying extras online.

Last edited:
1st part: Clothing etc. Goes with - I don't want to wear your used combats thanks.
Webbing/bergan/etc. Generally stays with the Q man.

2nd part: depends what they are getting tailored. And infantry types do move a little when at rank. Training establoshments, other battalions etc. Etc.

Badger223

Swinger
1st part: Clothing etc. Goes with - I don't want to wear your used combats thanks.
Webbing/bergan/etc. Generally stays with the Q man.

2nd part: depends what they are getting tailored. And infantry types do move a little when at rank. Training establoshments, other battalions etc. Etc.

Cheers mate

Rule of thumb is never to fanny around with webbing and bergens as the Q can get a tad annoyed when you hand them back. Personal issue of uniform items people do tailor, just make sure you have the right size beforehand though as having a job done on uniform, then finding out it does not fit and trying to convince the Q it was like that when you got it will not wash. You will generally find that the Q will have a tailor on the books, if not in house, get them to do the work and you can avoid problems.

Or, just buy a couple of extra bits and pieces off eb@y and have those tailored avoiding all the hassle.

964ST

War Hero
My experience is that at 16 in 1981, the (Norman the) Storeman gives you kit that you will grow into!!
My Flasher Mac was down passed my knees and I am sure he had bunched the material at the back when I approved of the look in the mirror?

But! fits me NOW :)

In 2020, soldiers get issued Virtus. Individuals may be tempted to buy an airborne webbing set, if they’re mil trg or phase 1 but the standard of the new kit is enough to not have to spend a fortune on Webster’s kit

Attachments

• 1DA3BCEB-D413-488C-B42E-6C08973806AC.jpeg
    1DA3BCEB-D413-488C-B42E-6C08973806AC.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 51CCC0CE-550A-40F9-9E15-396544CF1076.png
    51CCC0CE-550A-40F9-9E15-396544CF1076.png
    626.7 KB · Views: 48
  • E3CA145D-C7DB-4002-A316-0094DCDB54DB.jpeg
    E3CA145D-C7DB-4002-A316-0094DCDB54DB.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 47
In 2020, soldiers get issued Virtus. Individuals may be tempted to buy an airborne webbing set, if they’re mil trg or phase 1 but the standard of the new kit is enough to not have to spend a fortune on Webster’s kit

Really? I hear a lot of complaints about Virtus, and a lot of kit manufacturers are already making (and selling) upgrades for it.

Boxy

GCM
Really? I hear a lot of complaints about Virtus, and a lot of kit manufacturers are already making (and selling) upgrades for it.
Correct, there’s a thriving, mainly cottage, industry driven by making Virtus more user friendly.

Belt kits, Battle Belts and the most recent trend...shooters belts are all very popular.

There’s one stitcher I know who is more or less making nothing but a three pouch set that fits on to all models of the bergan

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
My experience is that at 16 in 1981, the (Norman the) Storeman gives you kit that you will grow into!!
My Flasher Mac was down passed my knees and I am sure he had bunched the material at the back when I approved of the look in the mirror?

But! fits me NOW :)
You still have your Flasher Mac? Should you be allowed on this thread/forum/site/internet?

Troops using the kit should be passing up their thoughts, recommendations and suggestions through the reporting chain, when it comes to improving it. Rather than spunking their hard earned sovs on Gucci kit. Which probably isn’t to the same spec any way?
If they say nothing, nothing will change.

964ST

War Hero
You still have your Flasher Mac? Should you be allowed on this thread/forum/site/internet?
Certain things were not on the kit list when de-kiting! But after the second incident in the local supermarket I chucked it on the „Lagerfeuer“ (allegedly?).

CC_TA

LE
Troops using the kit should be passing up their thoughts, recommendations and suggestions through the reporting chain, when it comes to improving it. Rather than spunking their hard earned sovs on Gucci kit. Which probably isn’t to the same spec any way?

Pre exercise we were told Virtus issue only - got the lads together in Georgia to list all the faults and proposed improvements.

...a few weeks later I was told not to bother submitting as pretty much everything was getting redesigned/binned.

Helmet and plate carrier are the only mandatory bits of Virtus now. (The rest of it is still in it's wrapper under the bed.)

Webbing, bergan, gonk bag and the like are all held on PCH here and follow you to wherever you go.

All newbies get spankers kit here and are usually offered hand me down tailored kit that's been handed back and recycled.

Boxy

GCM

The guys trailing it did especially the Para lads out in BATUK where it failed miserably in front of senior staff, it did lead to some improvements but not all.

AIUI out of the three systems on trial the current issue PLCE came out out top...

Latest Threads