Is Bells Palsy a blockage to mobilisation?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Fishman, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am due to mobilise at Chilwell on 13 June for a tour of Afghanistan. Yesterday I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy by the emergency GP. My right eye is the open one, so the ability to shoot is unaffected. My course of steroids to reduce the inflammation will be completed in 6days. Then it's just a case of facial exercises and a period of time before the facial paralysis reduces.

My role in theatre will be HQ based combat support middle management. I am very keen not to miss out. I shall be visiting my own GP tomorrow for further advice on speeding up the recovery process.

Any advice about the likely medical decision would be appreciated. Also anything I can get from my own GP to support my attendance at Chilwell. Any information would be appreciated, especially if I am likely to be not taken into service as I will be able to notify my employer.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. You're a what?

Talk in grown up speak, not civvie speak.

3. Sounds like the OP has been posted to 423 Paper Clip Transport Regiment.

4. Bells Palsy, I'm fairly sure thats a 5 yr old Malt Whiskey.

5. Bells Palsy is paralysis of the facial muscles on one side of the face and leaves the affected side limp, a bit like a stroke victim!
    In the majority of cases it clears up all on it's own without treatment, and only in a few rare cases does it remain permanent! My youngest had it 2 years ago and it cleared with no after affects within a couple of months!
    If you are in HQ and you can still aim the weapon there shouldn't really be any problems :)
    Apart from looking like a stroke victim that is!

6. Similar to Kirkz, my youngest was affected by Bells Palsy about 2 years ago (aged 11). At first I thought she was pulling funny faces until she told me she couldn't close her eye properly. She was put on a course of steroids and Acyclovir (anti-herpetic medicine) as there is some theory that a cause may be the herpes virus attacking the facial nerve affected. Apart from that, there's not really anything that can be done to speed up the recovery process.

In my daughter's case, recovery was about 6 weeks, with no trace of paralysis left behind. The worst part of it for her was the attack happened the week before she finished Year 6 in primary school and all her school leaving photo's have her looking like half her face has melted! :lol:

As for being able to mobilise, I'm guessing you have contact numbers for people who are better placed to answer your query than us jokers on here!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm curious, but do you have to sellotape your eyelid closed when you go to bed?

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I thought I had Bells Palsy, but I am just a miserable ****.

9. Are both you and Kirkz talking about the same child?

• Like Like x 1
  10. [wah shield up] No mate we are not [wah shield down/]

11. Hahahaha, Kirkz is a little fed up of people assuming we're married, don't go giving us children together as well!

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I woudl say that it depends on badly you reye is affected and how open the eye lids are, more usually the lower one is the more problematical.. There is the possibility of irritation and infection in it, if permanently open in a hot and dusty environment. There is also the risk of long term damage to the cornea.
    Depends on how your mouth is affected it may also affect your ability to eat and to speak. Which may be necessary even if only a "HQ based combat support middle management" role