IS Attacks Egyptian Navy

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting to see the number of people on Twatter wondering how ISIL managed to arm themselves.

Wonder if Egypt will move in all guns blazing, now.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Shucks, thats embarrassing for the Egyptians.

Wonder how many other countries' vessels will get attacked before 'The World' gets its arrse into gear.

And oh, how I wish they would try it against the Russians, Chinese or Indians. No 'uman Rights to be discussed there.

Sinai Province claimed it was a frigate when it was really a Swiftship patrol craft ( six man crew and armed with one .50) which I believe they (the Egyptians) produce under licence. So no great loss there. No casualties btw.

While this all dandy the media has pretty much ignored Egyptian operations as a whole in the Sinai (they only ever report the losses). This happened today as well:-

That strike killed 22

According to their official military spokesman they have killed 275 terrorists since the start of July when a large scale attack by Sinai Province killed 17-21 Egyptian personnel.

Interesting to see the number of people on Twatter wondering how ISIL managed to arm themselves.

Wonder if Egypt will move in all guns blazing, now.
Hopefully they will.
Hopefully they won't. What we don't need now more than ever is another nation drawn into this Proxy sectarian war. It's no secret that IS are poking smaller vulnerable or unstable nations with regards to drawing them in.

Hopefully they won't. What we don't need now more than ever is another nation drawn into this Proxy sectarian war. It's no secret that IS are poking smaller vulnerable or unstable nations with regards to drawing them in.
They already have and in the process they have lost an estimated 400+/- personnel since 2012. At the same time they've killed 1500+ terrorists and captured 600+ (according to ABM/Sinai province themselves).

The current regime in Cairo isn't interested in sectarianism like the Saudis are. They toe the line on Iran but beyond that they don't share the same politics in regards to Syria and actively support Baghdad by providing armament and training (in Egypt).

Interesting. Wonder was it a silkworm missile captured from Syrian stocks?
Metis/Kornet ATGM was apparently the culprit. The second time they have used it in this conflict, the first being a few days ago against an M60 resulting in one Corporal being killed. That contact didn't end too well for ABM when Egyptian 16s and Apaches responded killing 25 of them.

Was the attack launched from the shore or from a boat?

The conflict in Egypt isn't as sectarian as it is elsewhere. The Copts have been attacked frequently in the past but the main focus at the moment is the 'taghut' (tyrant) government. Egypt protecting Israel's southern border and access to Egyptian oil and gas is a frequently advertised reason for violence. The fighting in Sinai has been pretty brutal for a number of years and has got even worse recently.

IS is a problem that's going to have to be dealt with by the arabs themselves, so I would hope other nations in the region (Stand fast Israel) do get involved,and give them the shoeing they so richly deserve.

I saw this earlier, but waited for conformation because it looked like propaganda considering the original target was a frigate. From the trail above (top left) it looks like this was fired from the shore. There are plenty of guided anti-tank weapons floating about in Syria and Iraq, some of which have been supplied to "moderate" rebels. These sophisticated weapons fall into the hands of JaN and ISIL as the war ebbs and flows.

Targeting civilian aircraft on take-off would be my worry.

Last edited: