Is Artificial Intelligence really a danger to humanity?

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I've been mulling this over for yonks now, but I can't really come to any conclusion. That's because I simply don't have the ability to analyse the information in a way that would allow me to decide one way or the other.

I had a long discussion with one of my brothers when I was at home during the Crimble and New Year hols. He's worked for Microsoft in Cork for about a million years and he reckons that it's all a bit exaggerated. Mind you, he also believes that global warming is a hoax, so I'm inclined to dismiss his opinion to a certain extent. Also, others with whom I've had similar discussions are either a bit non-commital about the subject or tend to regard it as largely theoretical. However, when really clued-up folks like Stephen Hawking (PBUH) and Elon Musk, to name just a couple, see a danger in the further development of AI, I believe it's time to have a more serious look at the issue.

Unfortunately, I can't do that alone. I know there are loads of very talented IT whizzes on ARRSE, folks who really know the score. I was hoping to get a more detailled insight using their knowledge and experience - as well as their personal opinions - because I'd very much like to understand more about the issue.

So is Artificial Intelligence a danger to humanity, or could it become a danger? Any insights, information and opinions gladly accepted. It would also be really nice if we could keep to the subject at hand, instead of turning it into another mindless Bugsy bashing session. Thanks for that.

MsG

As artificial intelligence hasn’t happened yet, it's a bit of a moot point isn't it?

Lot’s of the usual lazy journalists using hyperbole to sell papers, but so far as I’m aware all we have at the moment are more sophisticated robots.

I think we’re a long, long way of from Skynet or I, Robot and if AI is ever achieved I’ll bet my bottom dollar it looks nothing like a sci-fi movie.

Not being complacent, but I'll worry about AI when it occurs.

He's worked for Microsoft in Cork for about a million years and he reckons that it's all a bit exaggerated.
And you accuse others of hyperbole. Your brother seems to have the measure of the likes of UEA and their sponsored lying, perhaps because he has plenty of previous experience of liars. I like him better than I like you, ya bollix.
Diddley-Dee.

I've been mulling this over for yonks now, but I can't really come to any conclusion. That's because I simply don't have the ability to analyse the information in a way that would allow me to decide one way or the other.

I had a long discussion with one of my brothers when I was at home during the Crimble and New Year hols. He's worked for Microsoft in Cork for about a million years and he reckons that it's all a bit exaggerated. Mind you, he also believes that global warming is a hoax, so I'm inclined to dismiss his opinion to a certain extent. Also, others with whom I've had similar discussions are either a bit non-commital about the subject or tend to regard it as largely theoretical. However, when really clued-up folks like Stephen Hawking (PBUH) and Elon Musk, to name just a couple, see a danger in the further development of AI, I believe it's time to have a more serious look at the issue.

Unfortunately, I can't do that alone. I know there are loads of very talented IT whizzes on ARRSE, folks who really know the score. I was hoping to get a more detailled insight using their knowledge and experience - as well as their personal opinions - because I'd very much like to understand more about the issue.

So is Artificial Intelligence a danger to humanity, or could it become a danger? Any insights, information and opinions gladly accepted. It would also be really nice if we could keep to the subject at hand, instead of turning it into another mindless Bugsy bashing session. Thanks for that.

MsG
You've now created a fantasy life for an alleged brother of yours, Bugsy?

So is Artificial Intelligence a danger to humanity, or could it become a danger? Any insights, information and opinions gladly accepted.
Can't be any worse than the real stuff. Same goes for shampoo.

Of course if AI evolves in America it might be grim.

If it's assessed as even semi-intelligent it'll have the right to bear arms (being at that point more sane than many gun owners).

I suspect I would get an immense feeling of schadenfreude.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
For once, if people could "play the post, and not the poster", that would be really nice.

Funbaby

Old-Salt
Is artificial intelligence a threat to humanity?

Yes.

I told my Alexa powered speaker to play some music last night and it said “Here some music you might like” and started playing Fleetwood Mac.

Sky net is just around the corner.

Last edited:
When true AI is created, will it be treated as a slave or as an equal? Will we have a choice?

Will it have rights?

Does creating true intelligence make us God?

I don’t think humanity is anywhere near ready to answer any of those questions, but I really hope I am still around to see how we handle it...or don’t.

Artificial intelligence will only be a danger if it gets out of its box. Remember, the daleks were bent on galactic domination until they encountered planets with stairs.

Right now the problem is artificial lack of intelligence. Dumb operating systems gulp down viruses like your fat cousin at a wedding buffet. Put those operating systems in charge of something dangerous like nuclear power stations or air traffic control and we are all stuffed. That's not evil, artificial intelligence at work. It's the unavoidable vulnerability of 60 year old communication protocols and a network that connects North Korea to PCs at the MoD.

The type of bad AI portrayed on TV and films is either the "mad computer" like HAL in 2001 or the "killer robot" like Arnie in the Terminator films.

Computers can perform calculations much more quickly than humans. Recently, they have acquired much more storage than our brains. None of this is really intelligence. Computers are big boxes of switches executing if this then do that commands. The first computers used valves as switches, then transistors.

Increases in computer power have come from reductions in the size of transistors since the 1960s. Quantum computers will bring a radical change to computer architecture but, essentially they're just a way of running the same statements faster now that transistors can't be made any smaller.

Killer humanoid robots are still some way off. While men have been put on the moon, tellys are now the size of a house and Wayne Rooney looks like he has a full head of hair, getting a machine to walk about on two legs is still extremely difficult.

This is an improvement on the situation many years ago. When I was studying control theory, the lecturer proved mathematically that robots would never be able to stand up on two legs. Seems he was wrong but we're still very far away from robots being able to run away from us faster than we can catch them and press the off switch.

Latest Threads