Is ARRSE to be closed?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/10/nmod110.xml

Wide-ranging new guidelines which strictly limit the way military personnel can blog and post messages on internet bulletin boards have been introduced by the Ministry of Defence.
The rules, circulated by the Directorate of Communication Planning, severely curtail the extent to which servicemen and women can speak publicly about their service.
The rules, which also apply to Territorial Army and cadets whilst on duty, as well as MoD civil servants, have provoked consternation among the ranks.

One user of an unofficial forces site - arrse.co.uk - said: "Why does it not occur to MoD that if it did things properly, and treated its people well, they wouldn’t feel the need to bring things into the public arena quite so often, and they wouldn’t need to spend so much time covering up?"

The MoD claims the rules are an extension of existing regulations which have been around for over ten years.

Lets get some perspective folks

Most of what is posted here is banter, plain and simple

Very little is in anyway subject to OPSEC/PERSEC, the site polices itself exceptionally well.

What little may have OPSEC/PERSEC content , is usually posted here by outside agencies/journo's /Blondbint etc looking to make a bit of a shock/name for themselves. Most serving personnel are very circumspect in their responses, especially if it has direct OPSEC/PERSEC inferences.

Just my tuppenny worth

hornepils said:
What a suprise to see who's stirring again!! :D
I would be extremely upset in this case.

The pseudo-Russian has a point. MOD can unilaterally decide what does or does not constitute allowable free-speech by troops. Of course it can't touch ex-servicemen, service dependents, military historians, journalists and so forth...so Arrse must flourish even if if becomes a "A friend of friend currently serving in a unit the name of which I artfully disremember said..." sort of a web-site. ;)

Cuddles said:
The pseudo-Russian has a point. MOD can unilaterally decide what does or does not constitute allowable free-speech by troops. Of course it can't touch ex-servicemen, service dependents, military historians, journalists and so forth...so Arrse must flourish even if if becomes a "A friend of friend currently serving in a unit the name of which I artfully disremember said..." sort of a web-site. ;)
I agree Cuddles, although "A friend of friend currently serving in a unit the name of which I artfully disremember said..." Shouldn't occour anyway.

SparkySteve said:
Cuddles said:
I agree Cuddles, although "A friend of friend currently serving in a unit the name of which I artfully disremember said..." Shouldn't occour anyway.
Ok so if I for instance changed my user name to FRIEND_OF_THE_IRON and let him write my posts would that be ok :?

Cuddles said:
Thats it then, a sticky for "British Army tactics and strategy 2003-2007", for amateur historians, antiquarians, and ex army bods pleading "well in my day.......". It should work a treat.

The_IRON said:
SparkySteve said:
Cuddles said:
Ok so if I for instance changed my user name to FRIEND_OF_THE_IRON and let him write my posts would that be ok :?
Yes I am sure that would cover it

The_IRON said:
SparkySteve said:
Cuddles said:
Does this mean we qualify as reverse walts then? (If we were indeed serving forces..which of course im not saying we are!)
My head hurts now.....

I disagree with many of the opinions voiced on ARRSE - the lauding of UKIP, the casual authoritarianism, the working class conservatism masquerading as 'common sense' - but it's one of the most political (small 'p') message boards on the internet with the capacity to annoy government ministers and military brass in ways they should be annoyed in a healthy democracy. It's also infested with skulking journos which is funny...

Stand firm ARSSE. :threaten:

annakey said:
I disagree with many of the opinions voiced on ARRSE - the lauding of UKIP, the casual authoritarianism, the working class conservatism masquerading as 'common sense' - but it's one of the most political (small 'p') message boards on the internet with the capacity to annoy government ministers and military brass in ways they should be annoyed in a healthy democracy. It's also infested with skulking journos which is funny...

Tell me you like the disability/ginger hair stuff and all the threads about masturbation :D

If I delete from my sig "I am not EX_REME yet" will I be ok?

Dilfor said:
annakey said:

Tell me you like the disability/ginger hair stuff and all the threads about masturbation :D
LINKS... LINKS... :x

As long as you post wearing a tin-foil bonnet, the SIB won't be able to find you anyway.

As for a "British Army tactics and strategy 2003-2007" thread, for amateur historians, antiquarians, and ex army bods - well that will be only less interesting than its equivalent covering 2007-3115!

It's also going to be funny to watch the reaction on ARSSE to any HRA based challenge to the new gagging regs (which I hope will happen). I've seen thread after thread on ARSSE lambasting the Act as political correctness gone mad, an EC inspired gross interference in good ole Blightly autonomy, the biggest threat to British freedoms since Harold Wilson.... now hear those brakes grind as they're thrown into reverse. :love:

I've watched the same happen in the Police Federation.. They whine like fury when their interests are threatened (say their pension scheme or special protections within the disciplinary regime) and RUN to the law, often employing the very same civil rights barristers they've previously been moaning about. It’s highly amusing to watch.

8)

annakey said:
It's also going to be funny to watch the reaction on ARSSE to any HRA based challenge to the new gagging regs (which I hope will happen). I've seen thread after thread on ARSSE lambasting the Act as political correctness gone mad, an EC inspired gross interference in good ole Blightly autonomy, the biggest threat to British freedoms since Harold Wilson.... now hear those brakes grind as they're thrown into reverse. :love:

I've watched the same happen in the Police Federation.. They whine like fury when their interests are threatened (say their pension scheme or special protections within the disciplinary regime) and RUN to the law, often employing the very same civil rights barristers they've previously been moaning about. It’s highly amusing to watch.

8)
Freedom of speech has been put down many a time for the HRA.
Not the other way round as you like to put it.....

Latest Threads