Is ARRSE infected?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Some ARRSE threads today are causing my Microsoft Security Essentials package to throw a wobbly and report a threat which it then 'cleans'. Kabbardar.

Threat is called Trojan:JS/IframeRef

Hmmm just checked my system and nothing untoward reported.

Hmmm just checked my system and nothing untoward reported.
That is unsurprising as your PC has every disease known to mankind, plenty yet unknown to mankind and surely, BSE, bird flu, hay fever and Aids to name but a few. I blame the sanitary conditions in which you dwell and all the 'birds' on your hard disk.

Not sure I'd install any software of which the name started with "Microsoft Security".

We're firewalled and antivirused up to the eyeballs here, and there haven't been any sirens or flashing lights.

That is unsurprising as your PC has every disease known to mankind, plenty yet unknown to mankind and surely, BSE, bird flu, hay fever and Aids to name but a few. I blame the sanitary conditions in which you dwell and all the 'birds' on your hard disk.
Thank you for your few kind words presumably typed on your laptop and sent via 3g from a gents toilet cubicle on Clapham Common. Don't forget your suppositories, some of the ethnics you consort with are big in the muscle department. But you already know this.

On a more serious note, I have scanned my system with all the usual high tech stuff as has been advised on other threads within arrse (not viceroys arrse I hasten to add) and have found nothing untoward.

I'd need a link to investigate this, and ideally the full message. I would say that it's very unlikely that it's us (Linux server, no incoming email), and much more likely that it's your machine.

I'm using MSE and it's quiet as a mouse at the moment.

Some ARRSE threads today are causing my Microsoft Security Essentials package to throw a wobbly and report a threat which it then 'cleans'. Kabbardar.

Threat is called Trojan:JS/IframeRef
Drama is at your end... whed did you last up date your Java programme? Clean out your java and temp internet cache.

Failing taht you're MSE is dodgy... is it all spelt right?

Or there are more people on this site who aren't reporting htis drama, or their AV isn't very good. (could be a trojan through the adverts as mentioned above).

I am not seeing this warning... and I am AVd up to the nutsack.

If you have cleared your Java and internet caches and Trojan:JS/IframeRef still pops up every hour like clockwork. Then you need to perform the following:

Remove the entire folder with the rd /s command.

Click on command prompt; execute "cd" to gain access to the Content.IE folder; execute "RD /S WK4THYW4".
Reboot your computer machine, this should prevent communications between the infected folder and the rogue server.
If you have not been able to clear your caches download and install this programme.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
New today. It isn't a regular occurrence ('clockwork') but turned up on the Arrsers Own Photos thread. Hasn't happened with any other websites.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
PS Just went to the same thread, same thing happened. MSE offers Clean Your Computer? button, click this, reports cleaned, job done (I hope).

Have you ever actually loaded this MSE on to your computer/did it come with it?

Just wondering about the 'offer' to clean up... and why I am registering nothing on the same thread?

It isn't actually Microsot security suite is it? Check ALL spellings and pages for any slight irregularty.

T

Tremaine

Sure it can't be Arrse, my problem is the Lappy locks up or crawls along on the site. Just now, a dialogue box opened with "extracting files" although nothing seemed to be extracting. Malware Bytes hasn't found anything and MSE hasn't (although MSE: tits, fish etc). A cleanout with C-Cleaner usually solves the problem. I will just run it through Superantispyware, and Norton and McAffee but something's not right. Not blaming Arrse either.

New today. It isn't a regular occurrence ('clockwork') but turned up on the Arrsers Own Photos thread. Hasn't happened with any other websites.
As my previous idea did not work you could try this one:
Open Control Panel, select Java, General Tab, Setttings, uncheck "Keep temp files on computer", click delete files, OK.

Go to the update tab and make sure that you have the latest version.

Go to add/remove programs, remove all older versions of Java.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Flash as well.

A handy tool to help is Qualys Browser checker. It is free.

Not sure I'd install any software of which the name started with "Microsoft Security".

We're firewalled and antivirused up to the eyeballs here, and there haven't been any sirens or flashing lights.
Probably because it's one of the best performing AV's, and very light on the machine. Anybody who pays for AV cover is nuts.
After going through Norton, McAfee, and Kapersky, which were all dog toffee, and slows everything down. Using MSE is a breeze, I combine it with Malwarebites.

There has been a bogus AV walking through most AV's giving a false positive and suddenly popping up a running a false scan. MWBites gets rid of it.