Is anyone being given the ALGL grenade machine gun yet?

I saw recently that the army has just been given the Heckler and Koch grenade machine gun. Is it any good?. What's it like to fire?

I believe that it's in use in Afghanistan. Most people refer to it as the AGL (Automatic Grenade Launcher) although 12 Bde are training on what's called the ALGL - I think it's the same. I've seen some yank footage of it firing and it looks nasty to be on the receiving end.

Mate of mine is doing the course this week somewhere on the plain, It must need a Bl**Dy big tenplate.

'Easily carried by its crew of... How many?' 8O

Looks like something for vehicles or a static defence really, not a mobile bit of kit.

Praetorian said:
Looks like something for vehicles or a static defence really, not a mobile bit of kit.
same as the .50 browning.

will the GMG use the same tripod/mounting as the .50????

seanbean said:
Anyone have any details on the 40mm grenade used?
I'm fairly certain its not the same as the 40mm fired from a UGL, which is a low velocity round.
This mother uses the high velocity version. I'm not sure what happens if you mix them up, but I woudnt hang around to find out either.

sandmanfez said:
seanbean said:
Anyone have any details on the 40mm grenade used?
I'm fairly certain its not the same as the 40mm fired from a UGL, which is a low velocity round.
This mother uses the high velocity version. I'm not sure what happens if you mix them up, but I woudnt hang around to find out either.
you do NOT! under any circumstances use the HV rounds for the US mk19 in the M203's (240 meters per sec compered to 75 meters per sec)
i would imagine its the same for the rounds used for the GMG and the 'normal' rounds used for the UGL

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I fired a MK 19 in the states and it is awsome
We were putting rounds into Shermans and it was making a mess
The septics carry one in their humvees and swap them with the .50 as required so I assume it is the same mounting

That thing looks like the dogs b0ll0cks! Would definatly p155 you off if you were getting incoming from it. Who is getting it? I assume the infantry are, what are the scales of issue for combat support arms?

Latest Threads