Is anyone being given the ALGL grenade machine gun yet?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Vaughany, Nov 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw recently that the army has just been given the Heckler and Koch grenade machine gun. Is it any good?. What's it like to fire?[​IMG]
  2. I believe that it's in use in Afghanistan. Most people refer to it as the AGL (Automatic Grenade Launcher) although 12 Bde are training on what's called the ALGL - I think it's the same. I've seen some yank footage of it firing and it looks nasty to be on the receiving end.
  3. Mate of mine is doing the course this week somewhere on the plain, It must need a Bl**Dy big tenplate.
  4. Just heard today that it's now called the GMG - Grenade Machine Gun.
  5. Looks like a useful piece of kit - would be interested to see the "effects" at the other end.
  6. Anyone have any details on the 40mm grenade used?
  7. 'Easily carried by its crew of... How many?' 8O
  8. Looks like something for vehicles or a static defence really, not a mobile bit of kit.
  9. The link gives the weight as 64lbs - quess that makes it a (minimum) 2 man crew/lift. No idea how much the ammo weighs.
  10. I take it you are on about the MK 19?
  11. The link details refer to the HK GMG.
  12. same as the .50 browning.

will the GMG use the same tripod/mounting as the .50????
  13. I'm fairly certain its not the same as the 40mm fired from a UGL, which is a low velocity round.
    This mother uses the high velocity version. I'm not sure what happens if you mix them up, but I woudnt hang around to find out either.