Is A Shady Organisation Trying To Buy HMG

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by RiflemanTom, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Why has this news item died out? I think that that's even stranger that the fact that it happened in the first place!

So, just to remind you of what happened.....

Lord James of Blackheath has stood up in Parliament and blown the news that a shady organisation known as "Foundation X" has offered £22 Billion quid to HMG to help get it out of the red. Evidently "no strings attached".

Did somebody just try to buy the British government? - Charlie's Diary

Can 'Foundation X' save the British economy? – Telegraph Blogs

This is like some sort of mad Illuminati/ David Icke story !!
  2. Be careful,there are dark forces at work here. See that black van outside your location?...............
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well if the gubment don't want it I could put it to good use ('good use' being a relative term which I will only discuss after the moolah is deposited in my Nigerian bank account).
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm, sounds like the Honourable Lord has a penchant for bridges, or perhaps institutions . . . . . . didn't we have a PM with 'issues'?
  5. Foundation X = Chinese Government.

If I disappear then you know I'm ri.............................................
  6. Would they accept the offer? If so, what would happen?
  7. Let me guess, is Foundation X run from an extinct volcano in the middle of the Pacific by a gray-suited man with a fondness for Persian cats?

We could certainly do with being run by a Bond-esque supervillain for a bit. I'm fed up with trains that don't run on time, for one thing.
  8. RiflemanTom

Well according to "Foundation X" nothing, as it's supposedly no strings attached, and interest free. I take it that this is also the case for the further £17 Billion that they say they will also release to HMG by Christmas if the initial £5 Billion is accepted.

All very weird. But, if it's actually true then who are "Foundation X". Who's currently got £22 Billion to chuck about interest free in order to "do good deeds"?
  9. Auld-Yin

It must be a consortium of the big banks. They are the ones that got all the money in the first place and now don't know what to do with it. Goes against their grain to hand back an interest free loan so they have formed Foundation X.
  10. Here's a bit of useless information:
    A Billion Quid, In ten pound notes. Stacked neatly on top of each other:

Would be 6,300 miles high.

Now that's a biiig bag.
  11. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

If it's the banks then it's cheaper to give the money to HMG than pay the future bank tax to be imposed on them.
    If it's the Chinese then I look forward to reviewing my copy of the little red book we will all be issued with. ;-)
  12. "Do you expect me to talk?!"

"No, Mr Cameron - I expect you to DIE!"
  13. RiflemanTom

Good guess, but the £ Billions they're talking about wouldn't be in cash, which really has no value as HMG could print as much of that as it liked (and has done). They're talking about gold bullion.
  14. Auld-Yin

Well, in that case, check out who bought all the cheap gold that Paw Broon sold off when Labour came in to power.
  15. 'Shady Organisations' tend to be ruthlessly efficient with a penchant for making a profit........sounds good to me. And they would increase the 'geezers' who handle bad debt manangement by about 20 Battalions.