Is a Muslim only ACF det or CCF in Muslim School OK?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by BuggerAll, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm asking the question because the issue has been raised in an other thread and rather than hi-jack that thread I'll start a new 'un.

The suggestion is that there is a county that intends to open an ACF det that would be closed to non-Muslims.

Despite the rumours that Zippy has heard I suspect he has got hold of the wrong end of the stick becasue I am pretty sure it would be illegal to open a det that discriminated on the base of race, creed etc. (I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong on the law front). It would also be against the values and standards of the British Army which every ACF officer is duty bound to uphold and every adult is contractually bound to uphold.

So I don't think anybody need to worry about an ACF det closed to non-Muslims. However that is not the same as a det being set up in an area with a large Mulsim population and actively recruiting in that area and actively seeking to demonstrate that the ACF is would be 'friendly' to Muslim recruits.

If I wanted to do that (and I would want to) the obvious place to start would be recruiting Muslim CFAV. I don't see anything sinister in that.

The other issue that was raised was a closed ACF det or CCF det in a Muslim school. I am against faith schools - in fact I'm against religion as a whole, but if you have a faith school that is a reality that must be dealt with. I would eb all in favour of faith schools, Muslim or otherwise, having ACF or CCF dets.

Interested to hear what others have to say on the subject.
  2. An ACF det in the high street shouldn't be closed to any part of society. ie Muslims can join, but it shouldn't be a muslim on affair.

Aren't CCFs generally are tied to their school. So if it is a boys school, then it stands to reason that only pupils from the school can join, ergo it is male only.

If there were to be a CCF in a Muslim only, or Jewish only school, then I would imagine that the det would only consist of Muslims... because the CCF is merely mirroring the schools policy.

Of course, if CCFs are not tied to their school, and can recruit from non-pupils also, then a Muslim only det would be wrong (as would any other exclusive grouping).
  3. f*ck me, if somebody actively promoted a Christian only detachment they'd be in the biggest pile of poo ever!

Muslim is a religion, not a race. people need to get their head round that to get all these issues out of the way.
  4. The Boys' Brigade is a Christian only male organisation....

The Jewish Lads Brigade is a....

It is perfectly exceptable to have such organisations. Just not neccesarily in this case as the ACF is not a a religious or racial organisation.
  5. Why not?? They can be used to play Opfor :D
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Great idea and they can call it the AQCF :)
  7. :D Effort!
  8. i did wonder whether their WHTs would focus on AKs and RPGs, issue assault boots replaced with sandals etc...
  9. I dont see a problem with it, providing it follows the rules and regs of the rest of the ACF/British army.
    Although why there would be a need to segregate a Det for the sake of religion is beyond me.

The Boys brigade and the Jewish brigade are long established units, that have been going since long before this country went all PC, so cannot be brought to the table for debate, IMHO.

Otherwise we would have to start getting all political, and that im afraid defeats the object of the said youth groups we are talking about.
  10. Haha, love this response :p We need more people like you! xD

EDIT: are there any "post of the year" awards? :p
  11. BuggerAll

You're easily amused. Still some people laugh at Charlie Chaplin.

Small wonder that the most Muslims are put off joining the Armed Forces or its cadet forces because they believe the reception they get will be hostile.
  12. Isn't the short answer - NO.

In the same way that a christian-only det or an atheist-only det would be unacceptable.

Sadly, your thread is a symptom of the fragmented, disintegrated society we live in.

Sure, we live in a multi-cultural society but not a truly diverse society. There are too many faith-encouraged boundaries dividing our communities. I, for one, would abolish faith-schools and force integration amongst those communities, in order to encourage true diversity and integration.
  13. BuggerAll

As you know I agree with the latter part of your post.

If it was serious proposal I would be appalled but I'm pretty sure it isn't for the reasons I've already said. Although the fact that anyone gives it any credence is instructive.
  14. There are girls in the Boys Brigade, and it isn't christian only but all members will have to abide by the christian ethos of the organisation..

Muslim only ACF Det? Urban the Muslim only regiment that was once talked about... :roll:
  15. What's the christian ethos of the org all about then?