Is a GSoH a Thing of the Past?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Markintime, Mar 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Everyday we seem to hear of someone who has either lost their job or worse, ended up in jail, because of stuff they have posted on Facebook and other social sites. Clearly there is a line but when you see things like this, an idiot getting 14 months for a stupid photograph it makes you wonder.

When I look back on here over the years there have been instances of equally inappropriate photos being published. The difference on here appears to be that we have a better sense of humour and take such things with a pinch of salt. Of course we did have our own famous case where 'authority' got involved and again, it was through a lack of a GSoH!

Humour and piss-taking have always been the lubricant in the gears that made the Army work. If you're doing a nasty or dangerous job it helps to release tension. If we are going to continue dangerous ops should we not be encouraging humour, no matter how inappropriate, as a means to release tension?

How has humour helped you or those around you to cope?

2. The precedent is very nearly established that anything that hurts someone's feelings is 'hate speech' or harassment deserving of punishment. I think we will soon find all sorts of captains of industry, crooked businessmen and politicians demanding the protection of the law from deserved abuse.

3. I just found what you posted funny as **** you boring ****, Thank you. It helped.

4. Don't worry about it. You haven't been in the army for well over 20 years.

5. Linky please?

What was that about?

6. When did we loose freedom of speech in the UK? long while ago ,wait til they get mind reading machines , Arrse will have no members over night! Am I right in thinking septics can say what they want in public ?

7. No.

8. When I saw Craig David was being jailed I was delighted.

Imagine my disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I particularly liked the quote from the Sheriff

"There is no place for them in an enlightened society."

Has he forgotten he lives in Glasgow?

10. A good sense of humour and good taste have something in common. If you think you have them you almost certainly don't. I should know as I have both in abundance.

• Like Like x 1