is a career in the police a suitable option for a Ex Soldier

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by BobJamesCo, Mar 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With a lot of guys leaving because of AFG and looking for a job with a bit of interest is it a good idea to apply to join the police force. Or do the police operate under a different moral code
  2. Just wondering have you served in ghanners?Would you think it is A good idea to join the plod?What is your 'moral code'?Basically why are you asking this stuff?
  3. If you are white, english, male, straight and without disability you won't have a cat in hell's chance of getting through the first sift of applicants.
  4. Mate, I joined the police after the army and am still in. Despite what you hear in the press regarding paperwork etc. you will love it. I cannot rate it highly enough as a career choice. When I joined up at 16, i thought the army would be all about the crack and excitement, although there were great times, these weren't the norm. In the police each day is varied and challenging, with good banter and plenty of excitement.
    The only drama is getting in, you need to either be very switched on in terms of competency based assesments or know someone who has worked within the system and is familiar with the grading system. Please feel free to P.M me with any queries especially with regard to the application or assesment centre, I will sort you out.
    Also give consideration to your choice of force, in Wales you have some very good forces. Although recruitment is limited. Give consideration to British Transport Police who operate in several of the major welsh cities, despite the slagging they are a top force.
    As I say, please get in touch, there are several serving bobbies on this site who will also testify to the attributes of the job, despite figures, paperwork and political correctness it is one of the best I can imagine.
  5. Eerm, Bob, you fishing for a massive bite? Judging by your other posts
    Should you have the testicles/ clitty poo, and moral fibre for a challenging and rewarding career at all levels , unless you start to progress through the ranks, I should say give it a go! You only have 2 years to find out if you cut the mustard. Private medical cover is a must though.
    Considering it then?
  6. By the way me, and 85% of my team are straight white males and got in first time. Positive action was a very short lives concept in police recruitment, a number of successful legal challenges ensured that. However it is still a popular concept with every white straight male who fails the recruitment process.
  7. Bob, just read your previous posts. If this is a wah, you had me.
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Of course, I can only give you advice from an American's point of view; however, that said, IMO law enforcement, is a great profession to go into, from a military career if you can do it.

I was able to maintain both a career in LE and a career in the US Army Reserve, after serving full time in the military.

If your an 'adrenaline junkie,' like I was, you'll find many specialized units in LE, to keep your adrenaline flowing. In my time in LE, I rode motors, did rescue/recovery SCUBA diving, Bomb disposal as a police Bomb technician, SWAT and dignitary protection. I also made it from patrol officer to Captain, under civil service competitive testing.

At the same time, I was able to keep a position in a US Army Reserve Special Forces unit, keep SF MOS & Parachute qualified (Jump pay) and work towards a Reserve retirement from the Reserve. I was able to go from CPL to Master Sgt. rank in that unit.

Most of the larger 'Police Services' here in the USA, are also very good about allowing Reserves to attend required duties. They are also good at allowing one to take leave with out pay to attend military schools, elective tours of duty, etc.

I had to, as a SF soldier attend many schools and training courses without normal LE pay, (Leave of absence w/o pay.) although while on active duty for such schools and/or elective tours I got full military pay and bennies.

Most LE retirement plans here in the USA are far better than average Civilian retirement plans as are the benefits. I would suspect they would be good in the UK as well.

So, good luck if you go ahead with it! :wink:
  9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Is this true in promotional exams as well? No affirmative action, PC stuff? Here now days, they can pick anywhere on the list to promote a woman or other race, etc. It used to be, that they had to pick the top people off the list. more! :roll: :wink:
  10. What are the pension schemes like in teh Rzzers?
  11. What are the pension schemes like in teh Rzzers?

Complicated. Old scheme being phased out, relatively simple, pay 11% of each motnh's salary (ouch!) in, serve 30 years, retire on 2/3rds of final year pay as your annual pension or take a lump sum (just over twice last years salary) and smaller pension.

Bloke left Plod after 12 years, joined the railways, his accrued pension already exceeded that which a railwayman would put in over his entire working life to age 60. That 11% really does hurt.

New scheme hurts less, serve longer.

Join the Police, say what they want you to say in public, think whatever you want to think.
  12. You sh:t stirring fecker, after what youve just been saying in the armed police thread :?

I like it for the most part, some days I hate what I do, some days I love it.

Just dont expect the same cameraderie.

and it's not a different moral code, it's a different discipline code, as long as you get used to the idea of in every incident you attende, in every action you take, the first thing to consider is how to cover your arrse and how not to get sacked, as someone, somewhere, will always be out for your legs.
  13. as a new entrant you'd be on the new pension scheme, pay less in (about 7 % IIRC) but work for longer - 35 years as opposed to 30 for full pension.
  14. that means my retired bro in law freemason chief inspector is on abot £40,000 a year pension plust the job he walked into when he left.
  15. Am not serving now and am out of date. I retired when all the touchy feely stuff was just coming in, so take what i say on this advisement.

The pension system is very good. It was 13 % of salary deducted for males when i left ( bizarely it was 11% for females). Even with the lower scheme contributions nowadays and the longer service, it is still valid. If you are young when you join like I was, it gives you the financial capability to go into another job when you leave and the experience to look at your new job from a different angle. I chose teaching which isn't that different really.

You will rely on a core group of colleagues ( not always friends) to watch your back. The disciplinary code is subject to double jeopardy and can be very harsh, especially if you step outside of the grey man syndrome and get noticed. I managed to get away with a few fines from my pay over the years but i was aware of people getting the sack ( one for not serving a summons.. and signing it off as served, one for not recording a lost dog owner telephone number.. dog destroyed). People also get sent to prison. If dishonest, they deserve it but sometimes, the area is grey, especially in again as person above says, watch your back.

It can be very exciting and gives a great sense of value to the person doing it. Problems arise when you leave because you feel gutted without it. You also need to make sure you maintain fitness as the shifts will gut you if you don't, especially when you get past thirty. Also, if you live on or near your beat ( this probably doesn't happen now) be prepared for incoming and a little midnight off the record banter with the local populace.

Health and hospitalisation insurance are recommended. You can get these reasonably cheaply. Not like in the army.

Would suggest you have a bash. Just don't wear your mess dress at the policeman's ball, especially if it is at a higher rank than you are in the police.