Is 27 too late to go to Sandhurst?

Hello!

I image that this question may have been asked before however not all circumstance are the same so if you would bare with me I would be grateful.

I am 26, soon to be 27 and have been keen to join the army as an officer since leaving Uni in 2016. I have gone through the medical and can book my briefing as and when I am ready.

however the bleep test is the only thing holding me back, even though the required level has been dropped I’m still struggling to hit it, I have always been stronger than I am fast. But say I manage to nail the bleep test what obstacles may I face by joining at this age?

Will joining at 27 hinder my prospects once I pass out of RMAS? As I would be 28 upon commissioning if I were to get into training this year.

Also, I’m looking at INT as my dad and cousin was and are currently INT. If not INT I would be looking at Blues and Royals maybe.

Thank you in advance!

Toppet

War Hero
Hello!

I image that this question may have been asked before however not all circumstance are the same so if you would bare with me I would be grateful.

I am 26, soon to be 27 and have been keen to join the army as an officer since leaving Uni in 2016. I have gone through the medical and can book my briefing as and when I am ready.

however the bleep test is the only thing holding me back, even though the required level has been dropped I’m still struggling to hit it, I have always been stronger than I am fast. But say I manage to nail the bleep test what obstacles may I face by joining at this age?

Will joining at 27 hinder my prospects once I pass out of RMAS? As I would be 28 upon commissioning if I were to get into training this year.

Also, I’m looking at INT as my dad and cousin was and are currently INT. If not INT I would be looking at Blues and Royals maybe.

Thank you in advance!
Not at all. We had a few that age in my intake; two in my Platoon alone.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fitness is a thing that will challenge you, if you get to RMAS. I recommend you do regular fitness training before you go. One less thing to occupy your limited personal time on the Commissioning Course.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
For those joining who just want to be at the sharp end without having to worry about looking after the routine training, combat effectiveness,medical, dental, safety and welfare 'health' of those under their charge (as well as their own admin chores), then the Other Rank route should seriously be considered regardless of academic attainment.

Truxx

LE
Presumably a gap year followed by 3 or 4 years at Uni before arriving at RMAS already makes the average joining age quite high. Had a number of older chaps in my pl at sandhurst at a time when the average age was much younger. One had been a London fireman, a second a SNCO in RSigs and the third a WO in the parachute regiment!

No. A friend of mine in my Platoon was 28 (as striplings of 22/23, we took the p1ss out of his age a lot).

Seriously, if you are fit, motivated, and want the job, then absolutely go for it.

My tuppence worth - FITNESS. Check the minimum entry standard and aim to beat it comfortably every time. Being fit just makes every other aspect of Sandhurst life a bit easier!

Good luck.

Had a number of older chaps in my pl at sandhurst at a time when the average age was much younger. One had been a London fireman, a second a SNCO in RSigs and the third a WO in the parachute regiment!
The latter had made an interesting choice- presumably he wasn’t confident that he’d be commissioned as a LE officer, or didn’t want the roles that LE officers usually ended up in?
Be interesting to know how he progressed.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The latter had made an interesting choice- presumably he wasn’t confident that he’d be commissioned as a LE officer, or didn’t want the roles that LE officers usually ended up in?
I'd be comfortable in predicting that he left as a 55-year old, non-Staff-qualified Major, having commanded HQ Company for his sub-unit command and otherwise spent the bulk of his career as SO2 Nothing Much. Not Quite Our Sort.

For those joining who just want to be at the sharp end without having to worry about looking after the routine training, combat effectiveness,medical, dental, safety and welfare 'health' of those under their charge (as well as their own admin chores), then the Other Rank route should seriously be considered regardless of academic attainment.
Don't deny that.
However if it is the officer route you are after then Sandhurst is the priority - don't chance your arm in the ranks as it could all go horribly wrong.
My son went in as a Trooper with a degree and in his Platoon there were four others one had a first in Engineering. most didn't want the Officer responsibility only to be a soldier.

Truxx

LE
Co
Commissioned into the RMP. His real claim to fame though was lamping a bootie (playing enemy) with a nifty swing of the 2 inch mortar during an attack. I seem to recall he had served in the Radfan.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The average age these days is 23 or 24. Some are 30, some are 18. Last year an OCdt got an age dispensation and went through RMAS at 34.

About 8% of current intakes these days are from the ranks and therefore tend to be mid to late 20s.

You sound like you need to work on your fitness since being unfit is going to greatly increase the risk of injury.

Co
Commissioned into the RMP. His real claim to fame though was lamping a bootie (playing enemy) with a nifty swing of the 2 inch mortar during an attack. I seem to recall he had served in the Radfan.
:) I’ll bet that raised a few eyebrows amongst the younger cadets.

No. A friend of mine in my Platoon was 28 (as striplings of 22/23, we took the p1ss out of his age a lot).

Seriously, if you are fit, motivated, and want the job, then absolutely go for it.

My tuppence worth - FITNESS. Check the minimum entry standard and aim to beat it comfortably every time. Being fit just makes every other aspect of Sandhurst life a bit easier!

Good luck.
Fit and the ability to know your left from right does set you up nicely!
When I went through the average age was 18, oh how I wished I had left it a year or two to grow up before marching from Boarding school into the Hogwarts with guns environment!

Truxx

LE
Fit and the ability to know your left from right does set you up nicely!
When I went through the average age was 18, oh how I wished I had left it a year or two to grow up before marching from Boarding school into the Hogwarts with guns environment!
I recall week 1 where for some inexplicable reason I lost the ability to walk and swing my arms in the appropriate way. I am not sure about extra time to mature though. I was 18 but felt grown up enough to cope, besides, everyone was in the same boat, even those with experience. They found a lot of it hard going but in different ways to the young whipper snappers

Truxx

LE
I'd be comfortable in predicting that he left as a 55-year old, non-Staff-qualified Major, having commanded HQ Company for his sub-unit command and otherwise spent the bulk of his career as SO2 Nothing Much. Not Quite Our Sort.
Actually I think he made OF5.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Actually I think he made OF5.
Well fair play to him, he must have been something special, in that case - all the cards in his hand were low ones, it seems to me.

Truxx

LE
Well fair play to him, he must have been something special, in that case - all the cards in his hand were low ones, it seems to me.
Thoroughly nice chap. It was a great leveller Sandhurst. There was a much greater sense of where we were going as opposed to where we had come from.

Latest Threads