Is 26 to old to join the AAC?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by eremate, Jul 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've been working in offices doing various (relatively interesting) jobs since I left college at 17.

I always toyed with the idea of joining the AAC or RAF especially seeing as my Dad was a pilot in the AAC and I've finally realised that I cannot sit in an office for the rest of my life.

But basically my question simply is 26 to old to join up, with a view to becoming a pilot or would they say I've left it too late? [EDIT: Should've pointed out that I meant joining as a soldier, not officer]

All help greatly appreciated. I'm in a real predicament.

Thanks

2. Theres something about this on the AAC's site, heres the link:

http://www.army.mod.uk/aac/recruiting/officer_career.htm

"As an officer you should ideally be on the flying course by your 27th birthday, which means entering RMAS by 26 years of age at the latest."

"There is also the opportunity for all AAC soldiers to apply to train as an Army helicopter pilot, subject to suitability, aptitude and medical status. You must have attained the rank of Lance Corporal and be recommended for promotion to Corporal. Army pilot selection comprises of aptitude tests, a very thorough medical, Flying Grading and finally a selection interview. The earliest that you could expect to start pilot training is some 4 years after completion of your basic Groundcrew training."

http://www.army.mod.uk/aac/recruiting/soldier_career.htm

----------

basically, if you want to be a pilot now, you have to be a officer, although you can ask your AFCO if you can start as a soldier and get your way through basic training, untill your a lance corporal, and then go onto pilot training, but you may be too old for it.

3. The new age limit for AAC NCO Aircrew pilot training is 34, even that can be flexible depending on your situation and circumstances,

Go for it, however, dont have the "I'm going to be/I am a pilot and therefore I'm better than you lot" attitude, that will get you booted off your Senior Cadre....... :wink:

4. Not joining as an Officer, but wanting to fly in the AAC?

Don't have to join the AAC as a soldier to do that. Join any arm (anyone you like!) and you can apply for pilot training. You don't have to join the AAC straight off, and you could get some useful skills from elsewhere in the Army before applying for pilot training.

(I believe that if you join the RMP, you come out of phase 2 training as a L/Cpl?)

5. Good advice, whilst not wanting to put you off, failure rate can be quite high and a fall back trade/corps is a good idea instead of being in a ground crew trade that you are not really interested in and just ending up watching other people fly.

6. i appreciate everyone's advice, but i am interested in helicopters anyway so it just makes sense. it's the only area of the army i would be interested in joining. slightly put off by the apparent high failure rate though. wouldn't want to do four years plus only to find out i couldn't qualify as a pilot. but thanks a lot for your help.

7. Sorry didn't mean to use the "this course is really aaaaaaard" line and I have never done it so I'm not speaking from direct experience, but just to put you in the picture that it ain't no attend and pass course. They do require "aptitude" (whatever that means) and quite a rigourous medical both of which individuals fail and never even get to sit in a helicopter. Then you have to pass the actual flying bit, may look a doddle but I am reliably informed it's not. Still if thats what you really want to do go for it, better to have tried and failed than never tried at all, as they say.

8. One of the guys in my old unit that I worked with done it and its hard. Lots of homework and reviving etc he said. He was only a L/CPL when he applied and he progressed through the course quite well. He would go away for a while and come back, then go away again which I assumed were his aptitude and medical test's. You fly fixed wing aircraft first, Chipmonks I think. He actually went on to do solo flights in the Gazelle around the middle Wallop area. His main aim was to get a helicopter pilots licence, get out and join the Police as a Police heli pilot. Unfortunately he failed the course as he refused to sign on for another 6 yrs in the AAC. He wanted the heli licence just to get out and join the Police as a pilot. Can understand the AAC for failing troops who refuse to sign up as its a mega expensixe course to train troops as pilots who just leave the Army and get employment elsewhere.

BT.

9. Did the course age 30 and struggled to keep up with the pace. Thats not to say that you can't pass if you're older , its just that the odds begin to stack up against you.(something about old dogs and new tricks)

I bombed at gaz solo but look back on it as an experience that i'll never forget. I was lucky to have something to go back to ( i was a tiffy) and was careful not to burn my bridges!

Give it a go, its better to regret trying than not try at all.

10. I know of at least 1 ex member of the RMP that is an Apache pilot now, so it is do-able

11. But like you said; if you can't take sitting in an office for the rest of your life... wouldn't being in the army/raf doing something related to helicopters, (you could always be doorgunner or aircrewman) be much better than being stuck on your arse in an office for four years?

12. Novel Idea!!!

1) Join the REME as a Tech, be it Avionics or Mechanical (Greenie or Blackie) (I advise Greenie, their is a lot of work in the Civvy world for guys trained in the art of the invisible magic)

2) After a couple of years, and once you're a Corporal (Not long!), apply for AAC Pilot training.

3) Get accepted and rock on

OR

4) Don't get accepted, but you're still a tech! Which means working with helicopters, getting skills you need, etc.

SUCCESS!

13. Bum info there mate - age limit is starting the course by your 30th birthday, and has been so for about 5 years, unless of course they've reset it to 34 after the reduction to 32 and now 30?? If they have, i shall consider myself humbled.

14. Thats what I thought until i spoke to DAAvn in afghanistan in jan, they are flapping about the lack of NCO applications especially from the corps

15. Shouldn't fcuk em all about then! They see what happens to the guys that have passed and what quality of life they have - or answer B. to be truthful though G11, I don't actually think 'they' give a toss - their pensions are secure now aren't they!?! (Cynical old twwaatttt that i am)