Is 20 July 1969 a worldwide memory equivalent to US memory of JFK's assassination?

I'm surprised that our new political Gruppenfuhrers haven't decried the moon landing for its shocking lack of diversity whether from colour, sex, or lack of transgender beings.
Surprising numbers of Black faces for me in the crowds (ie more that one) from the comtemporary news footage thats been repeated. Not to mention a Black guy and a Woman in Mission Control.

Looking at the countless programmes one thing made me laugh.

A standard trope of the tinfoiler hoax theory is that the flag wouldn’t fly on the moon. Obvs. NASA knew that.

Along with most sane people I knew the flag had been wired to make it “fly”.

If you look at the flag it is not just wired, it is actually hanging from a half inch thick curtain pole sticking out of the flagpole.

All that tinfoil must affect your vision.
Problem is all that unfiltered solar radiation has bleached the flags white, leading to the supposition that the French got there first.

20 July 1944 Plot to asassinate hitler fails. Adolf says "They have more chance of putting a mam on the moon than killing me."

Surprising numbers of Black faces for me in the crowds (ie more that one) from the comtemporary news footage thats been repeated. Not to mention a Black guy and a Woman in Mission Control.
2016 movie.

0365C2D8-2BC4-47FC-B124-29501A9054CE.jpeg

Description

Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) -- serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn (Glen Powell) into orbit

2016 movie.

View attachment 405335

Description

Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) -- serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn (Glen Powell) into orbit
@beefer Are you recommending this or is it some kind of correction? I'm noting that there are black people and women in some of the places that the conventional perception of the event might say there are not any Ie Mission Control.

Lots of black people and women worked in the organisation but not as many as might have if social circumstances had been different whereas they were steered away from particular jobs by the social circumstances of the time. In some of the documentaries named above there are shots of NASA contractors workforces watching the landings from their places of work and there are more black faces and women apparent there than in Mission Control.

Likewise there are shots of the bleachers at the launch site where you can see the odd black face amongst the crowd, they are few and far between but crucially there to watch the launch and not working. The soacial situation supported both this...

and this....

As WWII recedes further into the past, "writers" like the one in that article are losing their sense of perspective. Yes, Von Braun and others were members of the NSDAP. Yes, V-2s were manufactured using slave labour. But that being said, Von Braun and the other scientists are nowhere near a group of "monsters" as camp commandants, or members of the Einsatztruppen.

To accomplish manned interplanetary travel is the pinnacle of human endeavour. It is nothing to be ashamed of at all.
All I can say to that is "Amen!"

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
JFK assassination - I'd just started primary school and I recall the hushed conversations in the street and shops that weren't meant for the ears of youngsters (rather like those after someone had been hanged).

The Apollo landing I recall much more clearly having followed both that mission and the earlier Gemini one. I stayed up to watch the grainy TV pictures until well past 0300 in July 1969.

That’s about as barmy as one I read last week. Bear with me.

The 1969 landings were faked in a film studio (Stanley Kubrick again, possibly). This was because we did not have the technology (especially the computer power) in 1969.

Years later NASA had acquired the technology and staged the lunar landings. Exactly as shown in 1969 (Presumably to cover their tracks re the previous lie).

It’s not too difficult to pick the bones out of that rotting carcass.
So, remind me, given how many decades cinematic film was used, before computer power existed, how much computer power was needed to operate a camera?

I was having a nice cheese and pickle sarny on a grassy knowl. I know which one I remember most, the forms those cnuts make you fill in....

Mike Barton

War Hero
They've gone.
The paper version has subs, but online, as we've seen, doesn't have a sub to ensure the info is legit.
I see, I haven't read the paper version in years so can't comment on quality there (although even back in its heydey the Mail could fail, I remember seeing a picture of Grenadan troops in 1983, worrisomely "armed with Soviet AK47s", they were clearly US M-16s) but the online edition is shocking at times.

It's not just the historical/technical information that is incorrect, the grammar is appalling and even spelling too. When a story is developing they will often simply add new paragraphs to the report at the top, not with an "update" marked on it but simply as if it is part of the original text and yet you scroll a couple of paragraphs down and completely contradictory initial reports are still in the main body of the story.

However, they must be doing something right as it is the most read online paper in the world (I stand to be corrected) so presumably facts and grammar just don't matter to readers these days.

Problem is all that unfiltered solar radiation has bleached the flags white, leading to the supposition that the French got there first.
Surely it was Irish monks. in a leather-built craft who were first . . . errrrmmm, or was that Wallace and Grommit? History is so confusing.

I read this today on Samizdata.net Very clever!

"…America faked the first moon landing.

And I say: well done them. That can’t have been easy. What other country has faked a moon landing, eh? Take that Russia! And what about the Chinese? They can fake anything but not putting a man on the moon. Only America can do that. And not once either but, er, several times. Including one moonshot that “didn’t get there”. Now that’s attention to verisimilitude.

But seriously, consider what an impossibly complicated and expensive exercise faking the moon landing was. You need a big ******* rocket. And it’s got to go up. Quite a long way in fact. And in a straight line. And not blow up.

And then you’ve got to get people to talk about all the little details: command module, lunar module, re-entry, space suits.

Oh, and spare a thought for Hollywood’s contribution. People in space. People bouncing around on the “moon”. All done in an age before CGI. And making the Earth round just to keep the Spherical Earth lobby happy. And note how they got all the radio delays right. And they even mangled Armstrong’s “one small step” speech just so that 30 years later they could claim that transmissions were subject to “interference”.

But what’s really impressive is how they kept everybody quiet. 1969 America was a place where you couldn’t even drive off a bridge and kill your secretary without it being front page news. Home of the brave? Home of the blabbermouth more like. But they kept the faked moon landing hushed up. Neil Armstrong kept the secret to his grave. And the other astronauts, and the people at Mission Control, and the gazillions of engineers who “worked” on the rocket, the life-support systems, the navigation, the computers, the software. The material scientists. To buy all these people’s silence? Now, that must have cost a fortune.

Sometimes I think it would have been cheaper to have done it for real."

Here in Perth Au, Sunday night they're showing the 9/11 doco 102 Minutes as a lead-in for Sept 11 remembrance. First time I've seen this. Redundant I know, but what a shocking global trauma.

Latest Threads