Is 20 July 1969 a worldwide memory equivalent to US memory of JFK's assassination?

Just of the opinion that if someone going to get paid for producing news stories that they should have at least a basic grasp of events , not just access to Wiki!
Private Eye (I'm sure you read it) always points out that most media organisations now employs 'content providers' as opposed to journalists, and their 'research' comes from trawling through social media.
Pay peanuts, etc etc etc etc.
The Daily Mail's 'tank' description is just one of many errors which these shallow types come up with.
But, as my post re Pence shows, dumbing down is the norm these days.

A lot of the Sov Nazi rocket scientists became NASA Nazi rocket scientists. Circa 1955 the Sovs threw most of the Boxhead rocketeers out. Guess who employed them.

There used to be an argument that the Sovs got all the rocket guys and the Septics got all the guidance and control blokes (which coupled with the US lead in electronics and computing gave the US the lead). Whilst superficially plausible I never really bought into it.

And the US rarely took the lead. A critical reappraisal of the Sovs in space (stripped of the propaganda and political BS) shows pretty clearly that, with the exception of the manned lunar landing, the Sovs were first in virtually every development in space.

Full list of Sov firsts here: Soviet space program - Wikipedia

Sheesh, it hurt typing that.
Operation Paperclip: The Secret Intelligence Program that Brought Nazi Scientists to America - Free eBooks Download

Mike Barton

War Hero
Private Eye (I'm sure you read it) always points out that most media organisations now employs 'content providers' as opposed to journalists, and their 'research' comes from trawling through social media.
The Daily Mail's 'tank' description is just one of many errors which these shallow types come up with.
The Daily Mail's online content does seem to comprise an awful lot of stuff lifted straight from Mumsnet or Twitter but surely the hard news stories are still written by journalists and they still employ subeditors for basic stuff like accuracy and grammar, or have they gone too?

Too highbrow for me CR.. Im more of a Beano/Victor/Commando Comic kind of bloke ;)

Looking at the countless programmes one thing made me laugh.

A standard trope of the tinfoiler hoax theory is that the flag wouldn’t fly on the moon. Obvs. NASA knew that.

Along with most sane people I knew the flag had been wired to make it “fly”.

If you look at the flag it is not just wired, it is actually hanging from a half inch thick curtain pole sticking out of the flagpole.

All that tinfoil must affect your vision.

The Soviets definitely did get at least part of the controls team - the Gorizont/Vertikant system used in the R-7 and Scud family is a development of that in the V-2, based on Sergei Korolev and Boris Chertok recruiting the guy who built it.

I wasn’t alive when either event happened so it’s not embedded in my consciousness. I’d like to say that the landings were more significant, but people tend to remember traumatic events more.

I definitely remember everything in vivid detail when Columbia blew up, killing Diana, Michael Jackson and Elton John.
I remember challenger.

I remember it happening, just, and also remember my dad, normally quite a reserved bloke, telling me that I was seeing one of the most important events in history. The cost may have been enormous, but it inspired a huge number of kids to later study STEM subjects (me included), so in that sense we are still reaping the benefits.

Here’s Apollo 11 shortly after take off. It still amazes me that there are three blokes being shaken half to bits not far from the tip of that thing:

Apollo 11.png

20 July 1969. The day my mother crashed her Ford Anglia into a lamp post.

I never could understand why she was looking at the moon instead of the road.

The Daily Mail's online content does seem to comprise an awful lot of stuff lifted straight from Mumsnet or Twitter but surely the hard news stories are still written by journalists and they still employ subeditors for basic stuff like accuracy and grammar, or have they gone too?
They've gone.
The paper version has subs, but online, as we've seen, doesn't have a sub to ensure the info is legit.

JFK and Apollo 11 (and 9/11) all spawned about the same amounts of conspiracy theories.
Can't say I've heard this one before though! It almost sets new standards for the tinfoil hat brigade.:slow:

'Recently, one of the more convoluted theories re-emerged: man did land on the moon but it wasn’t a historic venture; it was a search and destroy mission. According to conspiracy theorists, the craters evident in photos taken by spacecrafts Apollo 7 and 8 are evidence of NASA’s ‘bombing campaigns’ to eradicate an advancing alien race. Conveniently, these aliens inhabit the dark side of the moon, a lunar area not visible from Earth.

'Conspiracists were delighted when Air Force Tactical Air Command technician Karl Wolfe provided plausibity to lunacy. Wolfe claimed he observed artificial structures on the dark side of the moon in images taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2009. “There were structures that were definitely not created by natural means, such as meteors, or ancient collisions with other heavenly bodies,” said Wolfe. “The structures were created by intelligent beings. Most noticeable was what looked exactly like radar antennas.” '

Craziest moon landing conspiracy theories: ‘alien seek and destroy mission’

Can't say I've heard this one before though! It almost sets new standards for the tinfoil hat brigade.:slow:

'Recently, one of the more convoluted theories re-emerged: man did land on the moon but it wasn’t a historic venture; it was a search and destroy mission. According to conspiracy theorists, the craters evident in photos taken by spacecrafts Apollo 7 and 8 are evidence of NASA’s ‘bombing campaigns’ to eradicate an advancing alien race. Conveniently, these aliens inhabit the dark side of the moon, a lunar area not visible from Earth.

'Conspiracists were delighted when Air Force Tactical Air Command technician Karl Wolfe provided plausibity to lunacy. Wolfe claimed he observed artificial structures on the dark side of the moon in images taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2009. “There were structures that were definitely not created by natural means, such as meteors, or ancient collisions with other heavenly bodies,” said Wolfe. “The structures were created by intelligent beings. Most noticeable was what looked exactly like radar antennas.” '

Craziest moon landing conspiracy theories: ‘alien seek and destroy mission’
That’s about as barmy as one I read last week. Bear with me.

The 1969 landings were faked in a film studio (Stanley Kubrick again, possibly). This was because we did not have the technology (especially the computer power) in 1969.

Years later NASA had acquired the technology and staged the lunar landings. Exactly as shown in 1969 (Presumably to cover their tracks re the previous lie).

It’s not too difficult to pick the bones out of that rotting carcass.

Must have been a slow news day for the editor to accept that garbage for print.It's not even news as that has been known for years that Werner Von Braun was in the Nazi Party working for Germany developing the V-2 rocket. Operation Paper Clip hoovered up the first team of rocket scientists to work for us and the Russians got the rest. Spoils of war.

diehard57

War Hero
Sort of.
That was Al Shepard on Apollo 14. He took a couple of golf balls and the head of a 6 iron (he was a keen golfer) as his ‘personal souvenir’ item.
Miraculously (or coincidentally), the club head fitted the end of one of the tools that needed to be used for collecting lunar samples and he was able to smite a ball a long way.
Before his drive off the tee, Al Shepard had been more famous for having been the US’s first astronaut: sub-orbital, on board Mercury 3, which he named ‘Freedom 7’.
“Dear God, please don’t let me f**k up...” Al Shepard as he awaited the launch of Freedom 7.

Must have been a slow news day for the editor to accept that garbage for print.It's not even news as that has been known for years that Werner Von Braun was in the Nazi Party working for Germany developing the V-2 rocket. Operation Paper Clip hoovered up the first team of rocket scientists to work for us and the Russians got the rest. Spoils of war.
As WWII recedes further into the past, "writers" like the one in that article are losing their sense of perspective. Yes, Von Braun and others were members of the NSDAP. Yes, V-2s were manufactured using slave labour. But that being said, Von Braun and the other scientists are nowhere near a group of "monsters" as camp commandants, or members of the Einsatztruppen.

To accomplish manned interplanetary travel is the pinnacle of human endeavour. It is nothing to be ashamed of at all.

I think I may have mentioned it before but, from personal experience of working with the current Editor of the on-line edition, I can safely say that IMO he’s a Twwwwaaaaaatttttt of the first water and not one of nature’s brightest.

Let's face it, USA was so far behind the Soviet Union in the space race, they were in danger of being lapped!
The military thought the same - if they could launch a mission to the moon they sure as shit could hit Red Square.
My understanding of the situation at the time of Sputnik being orbited was that US rocketry was smaller since their weapons were much smaller while the Soviets found themselves with and unexpected advantage sice their missiles had to lift much much heavier war-heads. Neither side had anything comporable to the Saturn V or N1 at that point.

Armstrong did not actually set foot on the moon until 0256hrs on 21 July 69. 20 July would merely be the anniversery of the landing of the capsule - courtesy of the driving and flying skills of Buzz Aldren.
Why is Armstrong always credited with last minute hop over the "football stadiun" sized crater then?

ETA Just seen response from @Murphy_Slaw.

Last edited:
From lamping conspiraloons to giving Trump the good news, Buzz is 'da man'!

Speaking at a White House event honouring Apollo 11, Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, said he was “disappointed” with the progress America’s space program had made over the past 50 years. “(I’m) disappointed in the progress in the past 50 years,” Aldrin said at the event held in the Oval Office, reports Fox News. “We had a rocket, the Saturn 5. We have the (number one) rocket and spacecraft and they can’t get into lunar orbit. That’s a great disappointment to me.”

Buzz Aldrin criticises space progress
Aliens are among us.....or at least behind Buzz.

Latest Threads