Is 20 July 1969 a worldwide memory equivalent to US memory of JFK's assassination?

Or, they might have just faked the whole thing just to get one over the Russkis. Let's face it, USA was so far behind the Soviet Union in the space race, they were in danger of being lapped!
There is sufficient evidence out there from various conspiracy theorists to sow the seeds of doubt. I am happy to keep an open mind.
The most convincing argument I have ever seen, or read, that the Americans landed a man on the moon, was that the Russians didn't.

King size willy waving, and they gave up? Faked, really?

Mike Barton

War Hero
What amazes me is how "ho-hum" the Apollo programme had become within a couple of years. I seem to recall fuzzy B&W video of moon landings introduced by Kenneth Kendall or Robert Dougall were a staple part of my childhood evenings in the early 1970s, rolling in the background as we ate our Findus fish fingers for our tea. The only one that stuck out for me was the time one of the blokes smuggled a set of golf clubs on board and took a few shots on the moon (did that really happen?).

A quarter century earlier, they'd tried to put another man on the dark side of the moon you could say. 20th July 1944, Claus von Stauffenberg shoved a bomb under Hitler's arrse, but it didn't work. Unfortunately.

What amazes me is how "ho-hum" the Apollo programme had become within a couple of years. I seem to recall fuzzy B&W video of moon landings introduced by Kenneth Kendall or Robert Dougall were a staple part of my childhood evenings in the early 1970s, rolling in the background as we ate our Findus fish fingers for our tea. The only one that stuck out for me was the time one of the blokes smuggled a set of golf clubs on board and took a few shots on the moon (did that really happen?).
Sort of.
That was Al Shepard on Apollo 14. He took a couple of golf balls and the head of a 6 iron (he was a keen golfer) as his ‘personal souvenir’ item.
Miraculously (or coincidentally), the club head fitted the end of one of the tools that needed to be used for collecting lunar samples and he was able to smite a ball a long way.
Before his drive off the tee, Al Shepard had been more famous for having been the US’s first astronaut: sub-orbital, on board Mercury 3, which he named ‘Freedom 7’.

Amazing what happened 50 years ago when society strove for one goal. . . And now in 2019, we have people saying that peanut butter sandwiches are racist.

What went wrong?
Dare I suggest ‘anti-social media’ as one of the main culprits? Oh, along with Starbucks, obviously.

@Victorian_Major already mentioned killing Diana in #4. I seem to remember it was quiet memorable, lots of flowers and people going to London and crying and stuff.

Oops have I said too much?
Which letter in 'innocent' do you find the most confusing?

Well its hardly news that Von Braun & co were all Nazi rocket scientists, they were dropping the fcukers on London 20 years earlier. Equally its not news that without them Man wouldn't have landed on the Moon when we did.
Daily Fail headline:
The shameful truth: America only put a man on the moon with the help of Nazi monsters - not that anyone will admit it amid all the hype about the 50-year anniversary.

Yeah, I've only read about 50 books about this... and that scene in Right Stuff where all the Huns were singing Lili Marlene... and "von Braun also began working with Walt Disney and the Disney studios as a technical director, initially for three television films about space exploration. The initial broadcast devoted to space exploration was Man in Space, which first went on air on March 9, 1955, drawing 40 million viewers."
I'm sure none of the 40 million viewers picked up on the funny accent at all...

Daily Fail headline:
The shameful truth: America only put a man on the moon with the help of Nazi monsters - not that anyone will admit it amid all the hype about the 50-year anniversary.

Yeah, I've only read about 50 books about this... and that scene in Right Stuff where all the Huns were singing Lili Marlene... and "von Braun also began working with Walt Disney and the Disney studios as a technical director, initially for three television films about space exploration. The initial broadcast devoted to space exploration was Man in Space, which first went on air on March 9, 1955, drawing 40 million viewers."
I'm sure none of the 40 million viewers picked up on the funny accent at all...
I have to go onto the Mail website everyday , I cant help it. I just have to see the junior reporters efforts to ( badly ) cover historical events. Car crash journalism at its uninformed best

Surely you can't be implying they're thicker than pigshit, and twice as toxic?

However could you claim something so impertinent?

(The truth is a defence in defamation cases).

I just have to see the junior reporters efforts to ( badly ) cover historical events. Car crash journalism at its uninformed best
In these days of the internet, there's no excuse for making mistakes.
BUT in these days of the internet, more mistakes seem to be made.
Google/wikipedia and take the first answer, right?

Surely you can't be implying they're thicker than pigshit, and twice as toxic?

However could you claim something so impertinent?

(The truth is a defence in defamation cases).
Just of the opinion that if someone going to get paid for producing news stories that they should have at least a basic grasp of events , not just access to Wiki!

Our nazi scienrists wwre better than their nazi scientists!
A lot of the Sov Nazi rocket scientists became NASA Nazi rocket scientists. Circa 1955 the Sovs threw most of the Boxhead rocketeers out. Guess who employed them.

There used to be an argument that the Sovs got all the rocket guys and the Septics got all the guidance and control blokes (which coupled with the US lead in electronics and computing gave the US the lead). Whilst superficially plausible I never really bought into it.

And the US rarely took the lead. A critical reappraisal of the Sovs in space (stripped of the propaganda and political BS) shows pretty clearly that, with the exception of the manned lunar landing, the Sovs were first in virtually every development in space.

Full list of Sov firsts here: Soviet space program - Wikipedia

Sheesh, it hurt typing that.

Latest Threads