Is 20 July 1969 a worldwide memory equivalent to US memory of JFK's assassination?

Tonight

BBC 4 7pm. Neil Armstrong

BBC 4 8pm. Sky At Night Moon special

Channel 4 8pm. Moon Landing Live (who knew there was an anniversary mission?)

I was in study hall between periods at my school on the day JFK was assassinated. Someone who had smuggled in a small Japanese transistor radio, shouted out that the news had just been flashed that JFK had been shot. I shuffled in to my Ohio history class where the teacher had finagled one of the school's B & W TV sets from the projection room, and we watched a bit of the news coverage until we were dismissed early. I remember thinking to myself that I'll bet we'll have next Monday off as well. And so it proved as there was the burial service to get through at Arlington which occurred on Monday the 25th of November.

I was out of school on July 20, 1969, but I remember watching the first B & W television pictures from the moon. What a wonderful world we live in, that such miracles can happen, I thought to myself.

I read somewhere once that NASA could have put up (and should have put up) at least one more mission to the moon after Apollo 17 as the hardware was already built and paid for. There were still certainly eager astronauts who were waiting for a ride. One of life's missed opportunities.

20 July 1969 - Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to set foot on the Moon. I still have vivid memories of the grainy tv picture being broadcast in the teacher's common room at school for those of us that hadn't been kept at home for the day. It certainly was one of mankind's greatest achievements. This and 9/11 are two events that I can always pinpoint what I was doing when it happened.

I was seven. I remember my mother telling me about it.

JFK: The family was in Malta and we were in the middle of my little sister’s 8th birthday party.
We heard about the assassination when two USN aviator friends rocked up to pick up their rugrats early.
Apollo 11 landing: at a ‘Lunar’ party in 7 Armd Wksps and Station Officers’ Mess, Fallingbostel.
It was a fine night, and when heard ‘Tranquility Base’, we all charged our glasses and went outside to look at the moon and toast Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins.

I sort of remember being woken up to see the lading. My father having a stack of shillings on top of the tellie to feed the meter. The only time I recall him not being such a tight arse.
On the day of the walk I had ten bob burning a hole in my pocket and went to the local toy shop to buy this beauty
hillman hunter1.jpg
hillman2.jpg
Sadly neither is mine but I remember you could change the wheels with an integral jack.
Sat in front of the TV playing with it.
Funny what you remember.

dlrg

LE
To young to remember the assassination but remember watching the moon landing with my mum. My old man was out on the beat at the time (the odd things you remember!).

Didn't know this 'til today

1563303024298.jpg

I'm surprised that our new political Gruppenfuhrers haven't decried the moon landing for its shocking lack of diversity whether from colour, sex, or lack of transgender beings.

You remind me of my daughters. We were staying in a farmhouse in New Quay in West Wales when Diana croaked (the wife bid for it in the school charity auction thinking it was Newquay. It was only when I saw the Swansea postcode I smelt a rat).

The weather was borrowed from Ireland. Cats and dogs.

All the TV stations except Channel 4 were broadcasting sombre rubbish about a mother of two dying in a RTA. My kids couldn’t watch their sh1te American cartoons and comedy programmes and spent all day bitching and whining.
I was staying in a hotel in Oslo.

I came down to be greeted by the receptionist: “Mr Bob, we have some terrible news...”

(My thoughts turned immediately to my family...)

“Princess Diana’s dead...”

I immediately said:

“Yeah, ok, but what’s the terrible news?”

For some reason she didn’t seem to be very impressed...

I was in study hall between periods at my school on the day JFK was assassinated. Someone who had smuggled in a small Japanese transistor radio, shouted out that the news had just been flashed that JFK had been shot. I shuffled in to my Ohio history class where the teacher had finagled one of the school's B & W TV sets from the projection room, and we watched a bit of the news coverage until we were dismissed early. I remember thinking to myself that I'll bet we'll have next Monday off as well. And so it proved as there was the burial service to get through at Arlington which occurred on Monday the 25th of November.

I was out of school on July 20, 1969, but I remember watching the first B & W television pictures from the moon. What a wonderful world we live in, that such miracles can happen, I thought to myself.

I read somewhere once that NASA could have put up (and should have put up) at least one more mission to the moon after Apollo 17 as the hardware was already built and paid for. There were still certainly eager astronauts who were waiting for a ride. One of life's missed opportunities.
Amazing what happened 50 years ago when society strove for one goal. . . And now in 2019, we have people saying that peanut butter sandwiches are racist.

What went wrong?

Tonight

BBC 4 7pm. Neil Armstrong

BBC 4 8pm. Sky At Night Moon special

Channel 4 8pm. Moon Landing Live (who knew there was an anniversary mission?)
Pah, all the above timings pandering to the needs of millennial snowflakes.

My generation was huddled in their dressing gowns and slippers around black and white sets at about 03:00 to witness the first moon walk.

Actually, I'm quite surprised that the BBC have anything left to show. They were notorious for wiping tapes for reuse.

Amazing what happened 50 years ago when society strove for one goal. . . And now in 2019, we have people saying that peanut butter sandwiches are racist.
What kind of diseased mind could consider an innocent peanut butter sandwich a racist icon? :? Probably the same kind of mind that could say the so-called Betsy Ross flag (which some say General Washington authorized to represent the new nation of America during the Revolutionary War) has been tainted by association with slavery.

We need a common goal to work towards once again. This endless division and carping on old hurts is destroying the fabric of our country.

Latest Threads