Is 20 July 1969 a worldwide memory equivalent to US memory of JFK's assassination?

20 July 1969 - Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to set foot on the Moon. I still have vivid memories of the grainy tv picture being broadcast in the teacher's common room at school for those of us that hadn't been kept at home for the day. It certainly was one of mankind's greatest achievements. This and 9/11 are two events that I can always pinpoint what I was doing when it happened.

I wasn’t alive when either event happened so it’s not embedded in my consciousness. I’d like to say that the landings were more significant, but people tend to remember traumatic events more.

I definitely remember everything in vivid detail when Columbia blew up, killing Diana, Michael Jackson and Elton John.

Crime family offs innocent woman doesn't really make for memorable stuff.

I remember being sat on the floor at uncle's place with cousins while the adults occupied the furniture, all listening to the moon landing and the walk on radio. No TV in SA in those days. Saw newspaper pics later and a few days after it was on newsreels in cinemas. Gripping stuff.

Nope. Started in the '70s some time in colour.

And that's cultural appropriation - the Islamic types will have your head for that, claiming Perfidious Albion nicked it from them.

Nope. Started in the '70s some time in colour.

And that's cultural appropriation - the Islamic types will have your head for that, claiming Perfidious Albion nicked it from them.
Just one channel.
English from 6pm til 8 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, with Afrikaans to follow.
Afrikaans from 6pm til 8 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays, with English to follow.
Sundays - they alternated!
Such brilliant shows as The Sweeney - dubbed into Afrikaans!
And Rich Man, Poor Man - so popular that restaurants didn't open on Tuesday night.
The darkie channels came along later.

I remember the day when Neil Armstrong punched a moon landing denier, that was awesome

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember exactly where I was when I heard about Kennedy's assassination. I was at a bus stop on my way home from Boy's Brigade, I was 13 years old.

I remember well 9/11 as I was on holiday in Oban (lovely little town) and just relaxing in my room reading when the TV said a 'plane had flown into the WTC. At first I thought they meant a small private plane sightseeing but that soon changed and I watched the rest of the day unfold in the bar. At one point the Weegie barman was laughing and saying things like the Yanks deserved it. I was getting slightly offended by his remarks and was about to pull the cnut over the bar to educate him when his manager sent him home for the day!

The moon landing took place when I was in Germany and really did not make an impact on me - we may have been on exercise, I don't remember, but certainly don't recall much about it. Mind you there is a lot I don't remember from that era in my life! o_O

Just one channel.
English from 6pm til 8 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, with Afrikaans to follow.
Afrikaans from 6pm til 8 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays, with English to follow.
Sundays - they alternated!
Such brilliant shows as The Sweeney - dubbed into Afrikaans!
And Rich Man, Poor Man - so popular that restaurants didn't open on Tuesday night.
The darkie channels came along later.
A South African Jack Regan, about as un-PC as you can get!

I remember the day when Neil Armstrong punched a moon landing denier, that was awesome
Actually the yanks never landed on the moon. Armstrong was of Border Reiver stock and quite reticent. He actually landed on Mars but didn't like to show off.

Well, it's no more ridiculous than any of the other conspiracy theories.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
That fella Armstrong shoulda carried on blowing his trumpet and singing "Hello Dolly" after he walked on the moon, but instead, he cheated his way to seven Tour de France wins and tarnished his own memory.

MsG

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was sat at home with my Dad watching it. I was 12 years old and totally fascinated by it all. I, like most people, are probably wondering why nothing more has been done? After fifty years, you would think someone would have built a weather station there or some such.

The funny one-liners never quite worked in translation.
How does “Get your trousers on, you’re nicked “ sound in Afrikaans?

I was 4 in July 69 but I have no memory of Apollo 11, though I do recall moon landings and Apollo 13. As for 9/11 I was on my LE Commissioning selection board (The Three Day Event) at Worthy Down. Just waiting to go in for interview when our syndicate DS came in and switched the TV on. 5 minutes later the second plane hit and I went in for interview. Memorable for me in that I’ve never before or since worked so hard or been so prepared for anything. I got the job!

I wasn’t alive when either event happened so it’s not embedded in my consciousness. I’d like to say that the landings were more significant, but people tend to remember traumatic events more.

I definitely remember everything in vivid detail when Columbia blew up, killing Diana, Michael Jackson and Elton John.
I bet my Diana shrine is better than yours though. I’ve followed you throughout your posting history on here and, although I tend to agree with you on most things, I find your ‘remembering’ of Diana somewhat lacking.
Bit more work required to get up to standard.

There’s something currently on iPlayer called ‘8 days to the moon’.
Anybody seen it? It’s on my ‘to watch’ list.

Latest Threads